Iaido Beginners

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

kirisute

Iaido Beginners

Postby kirisute » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:29 am

I've been training and teaching Iaido for about 8 years now....and my sensei always advocated the use of "live" blades from the very start of training....why? simply due to the fact that instantly the beginner student is aware of the fact that the sword is dangerous...and as such gains respect for the technique and the blade right from day one....

over the years i have met other teachers/students with similar views...and some quite the opposite....

what is peoples view on the matter here? Are there any iaido practitioners who would not dream of practicing with a live blade but always use Iaito? or vice versa?

its an interesting topic to discuss and id be interested in your thoughts.....

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:50 pm

What Ryuha would it be that you study and instruct Iai,at what dojo under which sensei? :S
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:14 pm

Eishin Ryu~Sensei Coley (deceased)~privately taught.....
originally Sensei Coley was trained near Michigan along with others at the dojo of Sensei Suino.
I have no reason to discount his teaching or his qualifications...i know he taught me well, was disciplined and what i consider to be one of the greatest sensei i have trained under.

you seem to be concerned about this.......please express them we are all on a path of learning and i am always willing to learn more

cybernex

RE:

Postby cybernex » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:11 pm

Eishin Ryu, Thats the style the great Masayuki Shimabukuro teaches.

If i get some transport of my own this year I'm going to finally get round to taking up IAI, but knowing my luck even with my experence of doing Koshirae i'll still have to use a bokken for a while.
"I Belong To The Warrior Whom The Old Ways Have Joined With The New."

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:29 pm

correct...Masayuki Shimabukuro can be seen in the book Flashing Steel~mastering Eishin Ryu Swordsmanship...along with leonard J pellman....

what is compelling about that book is not solely the technique guides but also the philosophical and practical thoughts on life and how to apply the discipline of the martial arts to everyday living....

i first started Iaido because "samurai swords are cool"...so many years ago....now through Aikido and iaido and my other learning i find my skills flowing into my everyday life...not with violence but with the simplicity of knowing who i am and what i am...and being able to open my mind and spirit...
for me that is what the ultimate achievement of any martial art is....

cybernex

RE:

Postby cybernex » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:50 pm

I've always been fascinated by Japans warrior culture, History and Ancient weapons thats how i got into collecting Japanese blades & weapons.

And now after doing Koshirae as a hobbie for the past few years i feel its time to take it to the next level and take up a Japanese sword-based martial art and i also feel that if i do take one up it may be mutually beneficial to myself and the dojo i attend.

Kirisute, have you ever read IAI The Art Of Drawing The Sword by Darrell Max Craig?

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:06 pm

curiously enough im afraid not....despite a large collection of martial arts books in my collection it does in fact boast only two on Iaido...both showing Eishin ryu techniques.....
at present i live with my partners aged mother and step father..and space is at a premium...so most of my books and suchlike are stored away..and my collection is limited in growth because of lack of space! LOL

i have always believed that part of what makes a good martial artist is the willingness to both learn and to teach..even if its a senior student sparring with a beginner..the point is not to proove oneself..but to aid the growth of the people around you...and whilst doing such you will learn yourself.

we are all on a path of chosen knowledge..sharing that knowledge is a gift we should never ignore

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:07 pm

kirisute wrote:Eishin Ryu~Sensei Coley (deceased)~privately taught.....
originally Sensei Coley was trained near Michigan along with others at the dojo of Sensei Suino.
I have no reason to discount his teaching or his qualifications...i know he taught me well, was disciplined and what i consider to be one of the greatest sensei i have trained under.

you seem to be concerned about this.......please express them we are all on a path of learning and i am always willing to learn more

I'm not at all "concerned" by anything that I read here...makes no difference to me,this is the internet and my interest in Iaido/Iaijutsu is just that...an interest,which one has to learn something about in order to gain knowledge in Nippon-to...no more,no less.
I just thought it would be helpful to establish which Ryuha you are a student of from the outset to avoid any confusion as Iwata Norikazu Sensei,holder of the Mekyo Kaiden in Muso Jikiden Eishen Ryu decreed about 2 years ago that it should be now known as Iaijutsu and not Iaido.
Judging from the lack of response to your original post,I can only assume that the practicing Iaidoka among us have not yet seen it or prefer to keep their thoughts on training with Shinken for beginners in MJER to themselves...just like me. ;)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:19 pm

i moved away from formal training about 3 and half years ago and have not returned..both due to work and life commitments....i still practice myself, that is all......

if i have incroached upon your professional opinions then i am sorry..
reading between the lines of your text it would seem you strongly disagree...and i understand if you do...my idea is not to promote an argument on such things...but merely an open discusssion.

thanks for your opinion

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:04 am

kirisute wrote:if i have incroached upon your professional opinions then i am sorry..
reading between the lines of your text it would seem you strongly disagree...and i understand if you do...my idea is not to promote an argument on such things...but merely an open discusssion.

thanks for your opinion

I don't have a professional opinion. :D ...it's just a personal opinion from an amateur perspective based on reading over the years.

Keith Larman wrote:Something frequently misunderstood is that many Samurai trained with dull blades called Habiki. These blades were frequently created by an apprentice swordmaker and were never intended to be sharpened and used in actual combat. They were the equivalent of todays Iai-to or Mogi-to. Despite the romantic image of Samurai involved in intense training with razor sharp swords, in fact Samurai working as paid warriors could not afford the possibility of a debilitating injury received during a training accident with a sharp blade. For this reason Samurai frequently trained with Habiki in place of their actual combat sword. It was as much a matter of economic necessity as personal safety. A severely injured but competent Samurai was in danger of being an unemployed Samurai.

Please note the first line in my sig' which has been there from Day 1.;)

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:38 am

i have noted your sig worry not...
there are differing opinions for many things...always has been and always will be...

for instance some would find cutting pineapples in twain perfectly acceptable....whilst others would consider it a showy pointless task for western society to stare in awe at the brave man with the razor sharp sword

i recall a story , but not specifics...hey its late and im in bed typing this!...in the Hagakure....
a young man is challenged to a duel and wishes to fight/die well following the way of the samurai...he asks how he can learn this....he is told to hang a katana, on thin thread, above his bed where he places his head to sleep..and to wake everyday with the knowledge that the blade could fall and kill him instantly....he faces death daily until his duel....learning Bushido.....
to me training with Shinken is similar.....

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:16 am

kirisute wrote:i recall a story , but not specifics...hey its late and im in bed typing this!...in the Hagakure....
a young man is challenged to a duel and wishes to fight/die well following the way of the samurai...he asks how he can learn this....he is told to hang a katana, on thin thread, above his bed where he places his head to sleep..and to wake everyday with the knowledge that the blade could fall and kill him instantly....he faces death daily until his duel....learning Bushido.....
to me training with Shinken is similar.....

His name wasn't Mike Crampton was it? :D :D :D

'cybernex' will know what I'm on about. ;)

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:10 am

i dread to think....please feel free to regale me with the tale......

do you have a copy of the Hagakure?
ill hunt mine down today and find the story to relate full details for you....

cybernex

RE:

Postby cybernex » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:10 pm

I do indeed ;)

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:11 pm

kirisute wrote:i dread to think....please feel free to regale me with the tale......

Translate Hagakure and do a Google search for it...you should find Mike Crampton,we can't say any more than that,it's against the rules of the forum.
kirisute wrote:do you have a copy of the Hagakure?
ill hunt mine down today and find the story to relate full details for you....

Thanks for the offer...I'll take your word for it as I'm not into the philosophical side but others may be interested.

Return to “The Cutting Edge”