Samurai Artwork..work in progress

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

kirisute

Samurai Artwork..work in progress

Postby kirisute » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:17 pm

had a request from a friend of a friend for a piece of original artwork....knowing he loves anything with Toshiro Mifune in i thought id work ona piece involving a wandering Ronin....
anyway...this is the early stages of the work....
the piece is digital, now being painted and worked on in photoshop....at the moment its very scrappy and alot will change through the process....with the basic clothing in place you cant even make out the katana etc....
but if people are interested i will keep you posted with updates as it become more and more a fully finished piece.
Last edited by kirisute on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:44 pm

:D whoa real nice is it ok if we print these out as you go along regards mick :D
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:53 pm

dont waste your printer ink mate...
i was planning on releasing this, once it is finished, as a high resolution file for anyone here at the BUK forums to download and print. in fact, appart from the guy its for..it will be a BUK exclusive ;)
By high resolution i mean if you so choose you should be able to print it out large format...a3 plus...or bigger.....
the prints you will get from these previews wont be much good mate...wait til the finished item is here for you...trust me i think it will be worth the wait ;)

hopfully you can notice a big difference between these two..the cloth is starting to really become defined and take shape..ive erased back to reveal the katana as well...trouble is ive just realised the saya is far too low for the katana to be drawn from the obi....therefore he will just be drawing it from a held position. also ive not added a wakizashi yet....but the final version should have one tucked in there somewhere ;)

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:04 pm

:D thanks for that if these are anything i cant wait to see what the finished product will look like cheers mick :tumbsup:
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:41 pm

well its starting to look ok...you can now see how the katana will be held and the clothing is coming along nicely...
for technical information..the cloth is rendered in grey to make it easier for me to work in shadows and suchlike....each piece being produced on a seperate layer...they can then be coloured afterwards by altering each layers hue and saturation....

long way to go yet ;)

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:05 pm

:Dthis realy is looking good the finished product is going to be somthing else keep it going thanks mick
forum moderator

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:35 pm

work continues...
wakizashi is rendered in 3d on the background image to get angle and lighting correct then copied and pasted into image...final shading efefcts and overall light/dark blends are added to the clothing...and the layers start to work together before and take 3d shape...
hair painted in...still not sure if this will be the final style yet or not....
Last edited by kirisute on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:59 pm

with final shadowing in place on the clothing, colour changes are made and the whole outfit set for contrast and brightness..also a slight canvas texture is added to the cloth....a slightly heavier texture to the hakama.
Also note TOKUGAWA mon added and worked into the fabric.

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:38 pm

finally everything comes together..a background is added and a shadow for the ronin....
highlights across the whole figure are placed and the overall picture is tweaked for colour and contrast....saturation is lowered slightly to reduce harsh colours.....

for information: the background is a wood print of Oniwaka-maru fighting a giant carp by the waterfall of Bishamon ga Taki. The carp was said to have swallowed his mother.

the full resolution image of this can be downloaded here:

please, you can use this for personal printing and desktops etc etc...but have respect and dont try to cash in and sell it anywhere or display it online without my permission. thats all i ask ;)
hope youve enjoyed this little image walkthrough.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:13 pm

:D bloody hell no wonder you said wait now thats a picture please i think
i,ll start a collection if possible so please lets have some more if possible
thanks mick
forum moderator

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:18 am

I'm impressed pal, very, very well done! :|
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Detsawm

Postby Detsawm » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:35 am

Having done a little attempted work with digital images all i can say is it's very tricky. Well done, miles better than anything i could hope to do and it's now my wallpaper on my comp :P
It wasn't me

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:47 am

Detsawm wrote:Having done a little attempted work with digital images all i can say is it's very tricky. Well done, miles better than anything i could hope to do and it's now my wallpaper on my comp :P

You too eh? :$

Did you resize it to fit the whole thing, or tile it? Coz I have it tiled and it's just the top left corner showing, and it looks kinda cool like that :)
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:30 pm

bloody good work mate :D
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

darkness2

Postby darkness2 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:03 pm

my screen resolution is 1680 x 1050 :cry:

u havent got a super super high res one have u ?
"You and I........... have unfinished business"

Return to “The Cutting Edge”