Wasp Injector Knife

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

kiri

Wasp Injector Knife

Postby kiri » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:41 pm

I hope its Ok posting the link to this. I think It should be as the site does not sell anything that Blades is ever going to sell! (Unless we ask very nicely maybe!)

Check this out! What will they think of next! :D

I wonder if this would be legal in the Uk ?

http://www.waspknife.com/video_watermelon.php
So many dreams like moths around a luminous mind to flutter for an instant before perishing on the unbearable brightness.........

skippydm

Re: Wasp Injector Knife

Postby skippydm » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:20 pm

Legal but what would you need it for?

This was mentioned on another forum but the thread was removed a few times ;)

kiri

Postby kiri » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:13 pm

If you read the information on the site, this knife was originally invented as a diving knife. (the bright day-glo handle kind of gives it away as a piece of safety equipment)

Presumably if you got attacked by a shark it would be quite useful !

Yes they do claim "Tactical" applications, but having practiced years of martial arts and after having served in the military, I cant think of any professional soldier who would for an instant consider carrying or using such an item "in the field"

Its totally impractical for a number of reasons. I think their flirtation with the military market is a piece of marketting aimed at mall Ninjas.

I flagged this up as a novelty item, as it is an interesting piece of engineering and has a certain "WOW" factor. Curiously I thought that on a forum dedicated to an interest in swords and knives there might be people interested in a unusual knife! I was certainly interested when a friend sent me the link.

You could just as easily ask what anyone would use a Fairbairn Sykes commando dagger for, (or indeed a wide range of the blades sold by Blades UK). Maybe people enjoy collecting items for the sake of collecting. Again surely part of the point of the knife / sword community.

I am well aware of the "other" forum where it was removed as a point of discussion. (Nice forum for a number of reasons) I agree to the overall policy on posts over there, but in my opinion the sycophantic pandering to political correctness just goes way, way too far sometimes.

It gets to the point where unless you are discussing a bush craft knife that is of particular interest to the moderators over there, then you might as well not bother posting. Its a shame as this alienates large numbers of the knife collecting community whos interests are a bit more diverse.

To my mind this actually plays in to the hands of the powers that be who want to further restrict our hobby. But each to their own.

It is nice to see that the discussions over here are generally a bit more broad minded.

By some people anyway..........
So many dreams like moths around a luminous mind to flutter for an instant before perishing on the unbearable brightness.........

Legion

Postby Legion » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:04 pm

i've seen these in the papers recently and there is a big fear from them above that the kids will start using them on each other,i can not see them being legal here for long

kiri

Postby kiri » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:06 am

Which papers specifically ?

I would be interested to read if you have a link.

But lets be sensible:

Knife costs: $379.95
Refillable Handle costs: $48.50

(so £214.80 in UKP)

Box of 10 CO2 Cartridges costs about £7

Then you would have postage which is very high from the USA so lets say optimistically £20

So to buy one of these in working condition would set you back about £242 and thats before you paid any duty (assuming it cleared customs anyway)

What street kid is going to go to the trouble of importing a knife like this from the USA and shell out the best part of £250 to get what is really a novelty item anyway. For gods sake, not being funny but if you were a bad person, you could buy a gun for that !!

I can see why the marketting and the video produce a knee jerk reaction in some people, but they still need to use a bit of common sense.

After all has anyone seen the Cold Steel Proof Videos!

skippydm

Postby skippydm » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:59 pm

kiri wrote:Then you would have postage which is very high from the USA so lets say optimistically £20

Your having a giggle, I tried to order a spec ops sheath they wanted $150 shipping :| I got it from someone state side and they shipped it insured with tracking for $20 ;)

No one will be seen with this knife this side of the pond, technically its something special, but its totally impractical, with the screw on handle which would surely comprise the strength of it and it would be like swimming with a bomb...

Plus there is the fact that its FUGLY :>

kiri

Postby kiri » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:21 pm

skippydm wrote:Plus there is the fact that its FUGLY :>

This is true !

I guess there is some sort of hole actually drilled lengthways through the blade to allow the gas to flow through. Thats bound to weaken the blade as well!

Reminds me of those gas operated bottle openers where you push the needle through the cork and the gas gets pumped through it and forces the cork out. I seem to remember when you had a well placed cork the bottom of the bottle blew out instead !

Cool McSerious

Postby Cool McSerious » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:22 pm

In that case, for the sake of the users hand, lets hope no one stabs anything too firm with this knife!

Legion

Postby Legion » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:51 pm

sorry it took me ages to reply,i read the info in the mirror a couple of weeks back,i will dig it out at work tomo and type up the story as i am on library duty tomo

Moon

Postby Moon » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:36 pm

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

kiri

Postby kiri » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:20 pm

Cool, thanks for the links !

Yes interestingly the picture in that article clearly shows the hole drilled lengthways through the blade. Thats bound to weaken it.

Of course now the wonderful media have brought this knife to the attention of the greater uninformed public, I am sure they will be waiting with baited breath for their prophecy to fulfill itself! ;)

Return to “The Cutting Edge”