Buck 120 'Boone & Crockett'

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Moon

Buck 120 'Boone & Crockett'

Postby Moon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:25 pm

I got one of these today, it's a brand spanking new Buck 120 General Boone & Crockett Club edition.
The pic below isn't mine...

...but I wasn't keen on the 'Hunt Fair Chase' blade etching and after about 30 minutes with some 800 grit wet and dry it now looks better than this crappy pic I took this evening...

The blade is 7½" of paper shredding 420hc which isn't one of the 'super steels' but Buck do a great heat treat and I've never had a problem with any Buck knife made from it and it's used for many of their blades, the overall length is 12", the sheath is Mexican leather with a removable 'Kydex' liner and up to Buck's usual high standard - all I need now is to shoot a moose so I can justify buying the damn thing. :mrgreen:
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

the blade master

Re: Buck 120 'Boone & Crockett'

Postby the blade master » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:36 pm

that dose look a real nice piece moon and the sheath looks a quality item like you I cant stand printing on a blade
that's why I polished out the Alamo from my irion mistress bowie didn't bucks
have a smaller version of yours (without the printing at one time
(not the Chinese knock off they have now)
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:14 pm

the blade master wrote:that dose look a real nice piece moon and the sheath looks a quality item like you I cant stand printing on a blade
that's why I polished out the Alamo from my irion mistress bowie didn't bucks
have a smaller version of yours (without the printing at one time
(not the Chinese knock off they have now)

Loz may have had the smaller 6" blade Buck 'Special' listed at some time but with so many versions, options and limited runs available over the years, I really don't know Mick.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:01 am

aye that's right it was a 6 inch limited editon
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:20 pm

That's a good looking knife, do you use them for utility or just as a collection?
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:34 pm

It is a good looking knife & if I'm not mistaken a Buck Hunting knife, this one or a similar design, was used by 'Ghost Face' in the 'Scream' series of movies, I may get one of these types for the Mrs at some point as she is a big fan of the movies.

Moon

Postby Moon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:35 am

Geordie Ross wrote:That's a good looking knife, do you use them for utility or just as a collection?

I'm not a collector Ross, collecting can be very expensive while interests cost nothing and I've always said that I wouldn't buy a knife that I didn't intend to use but I must admit that over the years I've bought some just because I liked the look of them and they'll probably never leave the house - nothing special but I hope that when I die, 'Mrs Moon' doesn't sell my knives for what I told her that I paid for them. :cry:

liquidator96 wrote:It is a good looking knife & if I'm not mistaken a Buck Hunting knife, this one or a similar design, was used by 'Ghost Face' in the 'Scream' series of movies, I may get one of these types for the Mrs at some point as she is a big fan of the movies.

Allo Dave. :D
I believe you're right, the original Buck General 120 was discontinued about 10 years ago but according to what I've read, it's been resurrected every year with various etchings, handle materials and limited runs etc. since then.
Some say that the quality isn't as good as it used to be but my guess is that just like me...

'The older I get, the better I was'. :>

Maynar

Postby Maynar » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:21 pm

I hope that when I die, 'Mrs Moon' doesn't sell my knives for what I told her that I paid for them.

Too funny. :D

I plan on leaving a will of sorts, and giving a copy to anyone who has my email addy. Their true value will be thus realized. When the trouble & strife finds out what my sharps are actually worth, I'll be six feet under and beyond reach.

She can have the benefit, and miss me all the more for it. ;)
I am Brother Maynar, keeper of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. And the number of the counting, shall be three.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:44 pm

oi you wheres my copy then as for being beyond reach i hate being the bearer of bad news
didnt any one tell you satan is a woman why to hell do you think women are laughing all
the way to the graveside lols
forum moderator

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:48 pm

We have a very pessimistic forum, does no one think of dying before their wife? Lol :|

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:03 pm

you married geordie :D
forum moderator

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Hell no! I'm not going to bet someone half of my stuff that I'll love them forever! :leggit:

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:41 pm

i rest my case :D :D
forum moderator

Return to “The Cutting Edge”