Geewwwwwwd Morning Vietnaaaaaaaam!

Place for newcomers and leavers to announce their arrival and departure. Forum rules and handy links can be found in here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

User avatar
skippydm
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:10 pm

Postby skippydm » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:59 pm

the blade master wrote::twisted: sorry loz did you try turning the the power on :twisted: lols


i was going to say the same thing :>


Building a computer can be troublesome, slightly easier than doing a laptop tho.

but if your starting out you got to make sure everything is compatible, the power is sufficient, its a lot of work, its why i dont do it no more... well i try to avoid doing it ;)

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:28 pm

i love building pc's...got it down to a fine art now...about 30 mins build time...then software install....especially nice to build a gaming rig for someone..get the chance to see just how well Crysis will run on a high end pc! LOL

User avatar
cybernex
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:25 pm
Location: England, Planet Earth

Postby cybernex » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:51 pm

kirisute wrote:i love building pc's...got it down to a fine art now...about 30 mins build time...then software install....especially nice to build a gaming rig for someone..get the chance to see just how well Crysis will run on a high end pc! LOL


I built one of them last summer for a friend, It handles Crysis quite well.

Loz wrote:i tried building a pc once, people warned of of the blue screen of death and the plug and pray technology . . but sadly I didn't even get that far with it, no matter what i did the monitor just remained black and I don't need anyone telling me what I should have done, if you'd been there you would have hit it with a hammer too . .


Well if everybody could build a machine from scratch there wouldn't be any need for us trained, experenced technicians, so in a way it's a good thing for us tech's realy.
"I Belong To The Warrior Whom The Old Ways Have Joined With The New."

User avatar
skippydm
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:10 pm

Postby skippydm » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:57 pm

cybernex wrote:Well if everybody could build a machine from scratch there wouldn't be any need for us trained, experenced technicians, so in a way it's a good thing for us tech's realy.


i aint exactly a techie tho :>

I just liked to mess with things, built a few pc's and a laptop while working at bt ;) was fun for the first month working on firewalls and stuff... but then i got really bored with the office and i seriously dont like wearing a suit and tie :evil:

User avatar
cybernex
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:25 pm
Location: England, Planet Earth

Postby cybernex » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:12 pm

Yeah but your a mate skip, if you ever get stuck i'll just give you a few pointers ;)
Last edited by cybernex on Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I Belong To The Warrior Whom The Old Ways Have Joined With The New."

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:46 pm

im always about somewhere if anybody needs help in such as well...even parts or cheap bits

User avatar
Kentofski
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Postby Kentofski » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:12 pm

the only problem is that people expect us techies to do it for free, and us good natured folk that we are often do :P

User avatar
cybernex
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:25 pm
Location: England, Planet Earth

Postby cybernex » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:05 pm

Kentofski wrote:the only problem is that people expect us techies to do it for free, and us good natured folk that we are often do :P


God i get that off my sister all the time!
"I Belong To The Warrior Whom The Old Ways Have Joined With The New."

User avatar
Kentofski
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Postby Kentofski » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:08 pm

I dont mind giving pointers for free, but people want me to completely fix and someone ven asked if Id build them one for free :/ I mean Im nice but even I have to take time and effort out to build one, least give me summit :<

User avatar
cybernex
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:25 pm
Location: England, Planet Earth

Postby cybernex » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:16 pm

I know that one, theres this one guy who keeps bringing me old, dead machine with properly screwed motherboards and expects me to fix them for cheap, If i do fix em he probably flogs them off for twice as much.

The thing that P*sses me off about this bloke is that he installs a few bits and pieces in a machine and reinstalls windows once or twice and he thinks hes a better ICT technician than i am, God i so hate people in ICT with an attitude like that!!! :evil:
"I Belong To The Warrior Whom The Old Ways Have Joined With The New."

User avatar
Kentofski
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Postby Kentofski » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:17 pm

HAHA You dont know how much like my friend that sunds. Oh small world :D

Id like to think I know a little bit, but im no genius, A little modesty goes a long way after all ... NINJAAAAAAAA *bites* :S

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:13 am

it seems all us IT techies get the same...people phoning at all hours with an "odd" message when surfing the internet...."my broadband wont connect but it worked fine yesterday" "how come when i put my cup in the cup holder and press the button it closes and spills my drink" etc etc

this might be a urban myth...but i heard it from a buddy who went on a customer support helpline training day...apparently its a recording froma phone support guy to a woman...it goes something like this:

"hello how may i help?
"my pc wont work"
"ok can you tell me if there is anything on the monitor?"
"which bit is the monitor?"
"the screen? is it showing anything or is there a power light on it?"
"no nothing..its just black"
"ok..can you see the tower unit there?"
"no i cant its under the table"
"ok can you get down there and tell me if the power switch is on both at the wall and at the back of the tower unit?"
"i cant ill have to go get a torch its dark"
"ok dont you have atable lamp you can just pull down with you?"
"yeah but its not working..we have a power cut"
"ok i think i know your problem..what you need to do is take your pc and all its leads....do you still have the box it came in?"
"yeah"
"good..now take it all put it back in the box and take it back to the shop you bought it at and buy a calculater! your too stupid to own a pc!"

and thats how it ended........true or not i really dont know......but so similar to the things i deal with daily its uncanny! :twisted:

User avatar
skippydm
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:10 pm

Postby skippydm » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:41 am

kirisute wrote:it seems all us IT techies get the same...people phoning at all hours with an "odd" message when surfing the internet...."my broadband wont connect but it worked fine yesterday" "how come when i put my cup in the cup holder and press the button it closes and spills my drink" etc etc

this might be a urban myth...but i heard it from a buddy who went on a customer support helpline training day...apparently its a recording froma phone support guy to a woman...it goes something like this:

"hello how may i help?
"my pc wont work"
"ok can you tell me if there is anything on the monitor?"
"which bit is the monitor?"
"the screen? is it showing anything or is there a power light on it?"
"no nothing..its just black"
"ok..can you see the tower unit there?"
"no i cant its under the table"
"ok can you get down there and tell me if the power switch is on both at the wall and at the back of the tower unit?"
"i cant ill have to go get a torch its dark"
"ok dont you have atable lamp you can just pull down with you?"
"yeah but its not working..we have a power cut"
"ok i think i know your problem..what you need to do is take your pc and all its leads....do you still have the box it came in?"
"yeah"
"good..now take it all put it back in the box and take it back to the shop you bought it at and buy a calculater! your too stupid to own a pc!"

and thats how it ended........true or not i really dont know......but so similar to the things i deal with daily its uncanny! :twisted:


I have done similar :oops:

my favourite was my sister she had a problem with her tv... i kept telling her is it plugged in and switched on, i get yeah it is

so i went to her house looked and she hadnt plugged it in :roll: she plugged a plug in but it wernt the tv :|

User avatar
Kentofski
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Postby Kentofski » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:53 pm

Sometimes I even feel sorry for poor people who are technilogocaly illitrate (wow huge words) :D

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:03 pm

thats where you and me differ! LOL
i believe if you dont know what your doing..dont touch it!
i wouldnt dream of sticking my hand into my cars engine and pulling bits out, sticking bits in, changing the electrical settings for the engine management etc etc...
most people wouldnt dream of opening a tv or a dvd player and trying to fix it themselves...so why the hell does the average pc user think they can start pulling and pushing cards in and out and dabbling with software/hardware and expect it all to work fine!!!

if you cant use it correctly or you dont know what your doing...dont touch it! simple!

guess ive been in the busniess too long....just call me Mr Cynical :twisted:


Return to “Visitors Centre”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest