Hi guys new member and so many questions.

Place for newcomers and leavers to announce their arrival and departure. Forum rules and handy links can be found in here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

owain

Hi guys new member and so many questions.

Postby owain » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:36 pm

HI guys

New to the forum, im looking for some advice on importing a sword.

I know its illegal to import anything with a blade length over 50cm does this include traditionally made / hand forged swords over this length?

If so is it possible to have the sword blade cut in half and then repaired in the UK, is it practical? or would it be cheaper to have one custom made in the UK (Blades-UK.com) its a decorative sword so not going to be bashed against anything so (Stainless Steel, half tang, roughly 40" total lenth blade lenght 28").

Thanks guys.

Mellony

Re: Hi guys new member and so many questions.

Postby Mellony » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:54 pm

owain wrote:HI guys
New to the forum, im looking for some advice on importing a sword.

Welcome m8

owain wrote:I know its illegal to import anything with a blade length over 50cm does this include traditionally made / hand forged swords over this length?

It's only illegal if its a curved blade made in non-traditional methods. Specifically, straight blades over 50cm are usually ok regardless of manufacture methods - even if they are naff. Hand forged swords / traditionally made swords are allowed, regardless of their length.

owain wrote:If so is it possible to have the sword blade cut in half and then repaired in the UK, is it practical? or would it be cheaper to have one custom made in the UK (Blades-UK.com) its a decorative sword so not going to be bashed against anything so (Stainless Steel, half tang, roughly 40" total lenth blade lenght 28").

Cut a blade and reforge? not without ruining the strength and aesthetics - NOT practical m8. As for BUK custom work, i'll let Loz answer that.
Semper cogitatio.

Geordie Ross

Re: Hi guys new member and so many questions.

Postby Geordie Ross » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:37 am

Hi owain and welcome, the specifics and laws on Uk swords are on the main page of blades-Uk, they are some of the most bizarre and useless laws still in use (in my opinion) but any traditionally made swords or swords over a certain age are exempt from these laws, if you have a Uk registered sword martial arts licence you can pretty much buy anything, not sure about importing them, if it's traditionally made you can import 6ft curved blades legally!
But if your travelling with the sword it's best to declare them, you could try fooling the customs by saying it's traditionally forged and If they take further action, say you didn't know it wasn't forged traditionally "wink wink" if worst comes to worst it will be taken from you and chances if you getting it back are slim to none. hope that's helpful if not slightly sly regarding customs officials knowledge!
Ps I hope customs officials don't check these forums :|
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Return to “Visitors Centre”