Noob with a question

Place for newcomers and leavers to announce their arrival and departure. Forum rules and handy links can be found in here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Spring Forest

Noob with a question

Postby Spring Forest » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 pm

Firstly, I'd just like to say hello to everyone on the forums... I've been perusing some of the posts and comments on these pages and find it reassuring that it's rather laid back around here, and not all "mine's sharper than yours".

I took receipt today of the first blade I've ever purchased ( Purple Ito Samurai Sword ), and was pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of what is essentially a cheap sword, but I always thought it would be adequate for the purpose I had in mind for it ~ I want it for practicing Iaido form, rather than for cutting things up, and it is nicely balanced so I think it will be fine for me to get used to the feel of holding a blade rather than a lump of timber.

I can see how easy it would be to get the bug though, and already I've got the feeling that today's delivery is going to be the first of many.

One question guys. The koiguchi of the saya that came with this sword is just bare wood and I would prefer to mount a proper horn fitting ( or at least a metal collar ) to prevent any splitting. Any pointers as to where I can source either of these? ( Please don't say eBay as the mere mention of that site in this house invariably leads to the over consumption of Cushelle ).

the blade master

Re: Noob with a question

Postby the blade master » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:42 pm

no need to look for a metal collar you can do what i did on one of my sayas
whip/wrap some 1.50mm waxed cotton thread down the first two inches or so
from the top of the saya its about 98% effective in stopping you from splitting
the mouth of yor saya on a bad draw now when i say whip or wrap the cotton cord i mean do
it the same way as in whipping the eyes on a fishing rod

i,ll try putting up a pic when imageshack stops farting about

sorry till imageshack is sorted this is all i can do

moon has reasantly posted a simillar pic of his bugai dragonfly with the saya done in a simillar manner
with a bit of luck he might repost it here as its a much better pic than mine
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Moon

Postby Moon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Mine has a horn koiguchi and is wrapped down to the kurigata for added protection against the dreaded saya split, it's also much sharper than his. :D

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:32 pm

of course yours is better than mine theres a hell of a difference between an expensive work of art like yours
and a £80 bitsa like the one in my pic bloody snob :D
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Moon wrote:it's also much sharper than his. :D

There goes the neighbourhood then. :D That's a superb looking blade mate and looking on the Bugai website to find out more about it I've found what I'm looking for ~ they stock a horn koiguchi which I can then lash on as you guys suggest.
Cheers fellas!
Last edited by Spring Forest on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:42 pm

I suggest we burgle moons house and wipe the smug smile off his face :twisted: eek3434
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:48 pm

Well as its a fairly cheap katana and you're mainly using it for drawing practice I'd say a cheap fix would be dental floss around the contact points to reduce the stresses on the wood? Dental floss is great for quick cheap fixes lol

Moon

Postby Moon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:09 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Well as its a fairly cheap katana and you're mainly using it for drawing practice I'd say a cheap fix would be dental floss around the contact points to reduce the stresses on the wood? Dental floss is great for quick cheap fixes lol

Preferably the stuff made by Accusharp? :>
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:36 pm

you had to go and spoil it didnt you moon he hasnt mentioned the accusharp in ages
now youve opened your gob we,ll never hear the last of it :cry: :cry:
forum moderator

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:32 am

Geordie Ross wrote:Well as its a fairly cheap katana and you're mainly using it for drawing practice I'd say a cheap fix would be dental floss around the contact points to reduce the stresses on the wood? Dental floss is great for quick cheap fixes lol

I went to bed trying to get my head around this one and woke up without a solution. Can you draw me a picture Geordie? :S :S

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:20 am

oh dear now he wants pictures see what you,ve done geordie :>
forum moderator

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:42 am

the blade master wrote:oh dear now he wants pictures see what you,ve done geordie :>

Preferably full colour, no matchstick men please... :D

Mellony

Postby Mellony » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:51 am

Spring Forest wrote:Preferably full colour, no matchstick men please... :D

You're asking alot, have you see Geordies epic drawing skills: http://forum.blades-uk.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?p=301709#p301709

:GG
Semper cogitatio.

Moon

Postby Moon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:19 am

Mellony wrote:
Spring Forest wrote:Preferably full colour, no matchstick men please... :D

You're asking alot, have you see Geordies epic drawing skills: http://forum.blades-uk.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?p=301709#p301709

:GG

That thread brings back some thoughts which were better left not posted...especially the drawings that 'Owner7771' proposed, he's the bloke who put the grim in Grimsby. :>

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:46 pm

:oops:

Return to “Visitors Centre”