New boy

Place for newcomers and leavers to announce their arrival and departure. Forum rules and handy links can be found in here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Re: New boy

Postby Moon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:50 am

Shirokage wrote:
It's veryyyyy old Japanese, it says "Bushi wa kuwanedo taka youji" which means "a samurai uses his toothpick, even when he has not eaten". It'd take a while to fully explain though ;)


This translation is poor but people should get the general idea...hopefully.

[Explanation of Samurai are people who conspicuously use a toothpick even when they do not have something to eat.]

[Annotations] Samurai values ​​honor, since the use of the toothpick in the guise of fullness even when you cannot take the diet is poor.
But the spirit of the samurai glimpse, in other words, and well ostentatious.
And "Takayoji" means of using a toothpick and leisurely meal.
Conclusion One "of" Iroha Karuta (Osaka) "Iroha Karuta (Kyoto) above".
[Source] -
[Note] -
[Synonymous] / Brocade outside even in naked / fountain theft Thurs evil not even drink water from the fountain theft Castle / pluck the ears not even hungry hawk Thurs evil even heated / not eat meat Tari tiger dies / is hungry does not rest in the shade of
Righteousness [to]
[English] Better go to bed supperless than rise in debt. ('s About what is happening carrying a debt, you sleep better without the dinner is good)
Eagles eat no flies. (Eagles do not eat flies)
[Example] "Even when life is difficult, no matter how I am the spirit of the Samurai are people who conspicuously use a toothpick even when they do not have something to eat...I've been clean and brand new shoes and socks Xinzhou"
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

User avatar
Shirokage
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:17 pm
Location: Berkshire
Contact:

Re: New boy

Postby Shirokage » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:34 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Its more of a placebo effect rather than any actual power, the more you are open to it the more it will effect you, its like hypnosis, you expect it to happen so you make it happen, either consciously or unconsciously. As for the YouTube clips, most chi demos are cheap magic tricks and exploitation of physics such as bending spears with your neck etc, I have seen a clip where a man sets fire to paper with 'chi' but he was revealed as a hoax. I do accept that focus and meditation really does help physical performance, but chi is non existent in my eyes


Obviously you're entitled to your opinion but you should be respectful of other people's... I should also mention that I've spent many years studying the psychology behind hypnosis, magic and human suggestion! A big hobby of mine.

Obviously there are COUNTLESS hoaxes and frauds out there but I assure you Dr. Liang is not one of them... What you see is amateurs sparring with a master, that's all.
武士は食わねど高楊枝

User avatar
Shirokage
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:17 pm
Location: Berkshire
Contact:

Re: New boy

Postby Shirokage » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:41 pm

Moon wrote:
Shirokage wrote:
It's veryyyyy old Japanese, it says "Bushi wa kuwanedo taka youji" which means "a samurai uses his toothpick, even when he has not eaten". It'd take a while to fully explain though ;)


This translation is poor but people should get the general idea...hopefully.


Yup, that translation WAS poor haha! I guess in a nutshell the main things to take from it are that you should always be prepared and that giving a good impression is important. There's also another saying that a samurai always keeps his sword sharp, even in times of peace. This saying is a little less obscure too ;)
武士は食わねど高楊枝

User avatar
Geordie Ross
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: South Shields Tyne and Wear
Contact:

Re: New boy

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:04 pm

Sorry mate but i disagree, beliefs do not warrant respect, nor do they earn freedom of criticism, regardless of who the believer is, or how popular the belief is. (That's my stand against religious belief, it can be transferred onto most beliefs, nothing personal lol). I respect your right to air your belief, as you do for mine. But for faith based belief systems, until there is a peer reviewed study of chi on a scientific level, I'll disbelieve
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

User avatar
Geordie Ross
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: South Shields Tyne and Wear
Contact:

Re: New boy

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:09 pm

Hmm I think that's one of the deepest posts I've ever made on this forum lol :roll: the majority from me are juvenile haha
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

User avatar
the blade master
Posts: 2929
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: here there and everywhere

Re: New boy

Postby the blade master » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:19 pm

aye so deep it took double posts to carry it tsk tsk tsk
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

User avatar
Geordie Ross
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: South Shields Tyne and Wear
Contact:

Re: New boy

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:26 pm

Well the best posts are unedited lmao
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Re: New boy

Postby Moon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:47 pm

Shirokage wrote:
Yup, that translation WAS poor haha! I guess in a nutshell the main things to take from it are that you should always be prepared and that giving a good impression is important. There's also another saying that a samurai always keeps his sword sharp, even in times of peace. This saying is a little less obscure too ;)

The translation is poor I agree but it's a literal form taken from a site written in Kanji and I don't totally disagree with your interpretation of it.

Bushi-do went far beyond the realms of combat, it encompassed a whole way of life to the Samurai class which meant in this instance that it would have been considered undignified to let others know that you'd gone without a meal by not using a toothpick, it was all about honour, loyalty, pride and obedience to those who had a Daimyo even though it wasn't uncommon for clans to switch sides during a battle in feudal Japan which kind of contradicts the whole concept imho.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

User avatar
the blade master
Posts: 2929
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: here there and everywhere

Re: New boy

Postby the blade master » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:02 am

Geordie Ross wrote:Well the best posts are unedited lmao


well you know i can edit if thats your wish he he :twisted:
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

User avatar
Shirokage
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:17 pm
Location: Berkshire
Contact:

Re: New boy

Postby Shirokage » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Moon wrote:
Shirokage wrote:
Yup, that translation WAS poor haha! I guess in a nutshell the main things to take from it are that you should always be prepared and that giving a good impression is important. There's also another saying that a samurai always keeps his sword sharp, even in times of peace. This saying is a little less obscure too ;)

The translation is poor I agree but it's a literal form taken from a site written in Kanji and I don't totally disagree with your interpretation of it.

Bushi-do went far beyond the realms of combat, it encompassed a whole way of life to the Samurai class which meant in this instance that it would have been considered undignified to let others know that you'd gone without a meal by not using a toothpick, it was all about honour, loyalty, pride and obedience to those who had a Daimyo even though it wasn't uncommon for clans to switch sides during a battle in feudal Japan which kind of contradicts the whole concept imho.


Oh of course but I'm sure a chap as well studied as yourself doesnt need telling that the Japanese do so love contradicting themselves haha. I know my wife loves contradicting herself... It was basically a saying my kendo teacher was always spouting at me because I have a toothpick in my mouth constantly to stop myself biting my nails. Its a very old fashioned way of speaking so I never new what it meant until we got drunk together and he finally told me!
武士は食わねど高楊枝


Return to “Visitors Centre”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest