New boy

Place for newcomers and leavers to announce their arrival and departure. Forum rules and handy links can be found in here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Shirokage

New boy

Postby Shirokage » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:29 pm

How's it going?

Heard about the forums through the grapevine and thought I'd stop by to check it out :D

I study Kendo, Iaido and Budo Taijutsu on the Japanese front and also officially in my 20th year of studying Wushu.

Looking forward to meeting you all :GGe
武士は食わねど高楊枝

the blade master

Re: New boy

Postby the blade master » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:53 pm

ok moon this ones for you :D
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Mellony

Postby Mellony » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi there - 20 years in wushu? Would love to see some vids of you in action! After that many years you must be pretty damn epic?
Semper cogitatio.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:55 pm

Welcome to the forum mate, you'll probably be able to help us more than we can help you lol, if you have a sword collection stick your pics up in the forum
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Shirokage

Postby Shirokage » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:41 pm

Alas, no real collection to speak of any more. I obviously have a few chinese blades but nothing very interesting, all competition swords. I used to own a few nihonto - An antique shinken which I was trying to restore, a customised Imperial Forge folded shinken and a Jidai custom iaito which is the only one I still own, which I'm actually planning on selling. After moving to Japan a few years ago I had to sell the two live blades as they would have been deemed illegal over there. I'm back in the UK now so I'm in the market for a new iaito for kata and kenjutsu and a new shinken for tameshigiri. I do also own a very special bokuto made for me by Blizniak's Bokken if anyone is interested in that sort of thing ;)
武士は食わねど高楊枝

Shirokage

Postby Shirokage » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Mellony wrote:Hi there - 20 years in wushu? Would love to see some vids of you in action! After that many years you must be pretty damn epic?

Unfortunately an injury ended my time on the competitive circuit but I still teach when I can and demo here and there. My time was mostly with traditional wushu (five ancestors, luohan and chen tai chi) and then I started playing Nanquan when I was about 16. I quit modern wushu for a while but then started up again and got a spot on the GB squad in 2006. To be honest I wasn't the strongest link in the chain but I like to think I held my own :) There are some vids out there somewhere I think, if I find them I'll post :)
武士は食わねど高楊枝

Mellony

Postby Mellony » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:41 pm

Shirokage wrote:There are some vids out there somewhere I think, if I find them I'll post :)

I look forward to watching them :)

Btw, your sig, what does it mean? (Just curious - google translation isn't very clear)
Semper cogitatio.

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:00 am

Mellony wrote: your sig, what does it mean?

Chi ( Yang or Yeung ) makes/protects the warrior.

Give or take a syllable. Marks out of ten please.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:06 am

No such thing as chi lol

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:25 am

Geordie Ross wrote:No such thing as chi lol

Don't say that or I'll fall over. :D

Three years ago my GP was talking about arranging for me to see a consultant for a knee replacement... ****** that thinks I, so I did a bit of investigating and decided to join a taichi class. Then started working one to one with my teacher who practices the Yang family tradition.
Within a few months I was off the codeine, eating and sleeping better, and full of the joys of spring. Methinks there is 'chi', you've just got to learn how to recognize it.

Here endeth the lesson.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:13 am

Lol well anecdotes and personal stories are all fine and well, but I'm sceptical about every supernatural events, what you just described could be copy and pasted into a faith healing setting, or just a natural healing process. It's well known how energy is metabolised and used, it can't escape the muscles. There's a great video of some fat American guy who claims he was taught by Bruce lee, he's demonstrating to his pupils and they're all affected by it, but when he tries it on a sceptic he fails in the most cringeworthy 10 seconds I've ever witnessed lol
To put it simply, its failed every test that science can throw at it, however I've seen some pseudo science instruments that will say ottherwise, but they've been shown to be exactly what they are.....bull lol :mrgreen:

Shirokage

Postby Shirokage » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:09 am

Mellony wrote:
Shirokage wrote:There are some vids out there somewhere I think, if I find them I'll post :)

I look forward to watching them :)

Btw, your sig, what does it mean? (Just curious - google translation isn't very clear)

It's veryyyyy old Japanese, it says "Bushi wa kuwanedo taka youji" which means "a samurai uses his toothpick, even when he has not eaten". It'd take a while to fully explain though ;)
武士は食わねど高楊枝

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:14 am

Point taken Geordie, and I guess unless you are open to something you wouldn't get much benefit from it, but I'm not talking anything 'supernatural' or hocus pocus... merely focusing and using energy that's already there. I'm also fully aware that my problems have been resolved by development of the thigh muscles, and the adjustment of my posture and balance, but I still think it's bl**y amazing that I can now move around without discomfort after being in agony for 25+ years. And that's one of the things taichi has done for me.
And I'm pretty good at plucking fly's out of the air these days... no longer need a rolled up Radio Times! :D

I don't know if you've ever seen this vid ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYVdhKVb9WE&feature=related I'd be interested to hear what you make of it ( 'ang on, I'll just get me tin hat on ).

More to the point my translation was pretty crap, wasn't it? :D

Shirokage

Postby Shirokage » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:31 am

Geordie Ross wrote:No such thing as chi lol

Good on you for not being sucked in mate. The idea of chi has been so overblown by the west that it's turned it into some kind of magic, which it isn't. People also think that Taijiquan (tai chi) is some supernatural way of harnessing it. Tai chi is just a way of meditating. However, the way you stand and breathe makes it easier for oxygen to get into your system - this and the gentle body movements help to energise the body and strengthen the legs and core.

I have been witness to plenty of demonstrations of chi as a physical entity, some more convincing than others. I do believe that it can be used to affect a person's balance, power and even health but that's only because I've been party to it first hand - and I'm a big time skeptic. It's just it would be plain arrogant to believe that we know everything about the bodies capabilities.

Ma Yu Liang was in his 90s when this was recorded which is testament to taijiquan's health benefits. He was both a doctor of eastern medicine and western medicine, so he was a good example of a scientific mind that embraced the idea of chi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_gmMqzf2I8
武士は食わねど高楊枝

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:15 am

Its more of a placebo effect rather than any actual power, the more you are open to it the more it will effect you, its like hypnosis, you expect it to happen so you make it happen, either consciously or unconsciously. As for the YouTube clips, most chi demos are cheap magic tricks and exploitation of physics such as bending spears with your neck etc, I have seen a clip where a man sets fire to paper with 'chi' but he was revealed as a hoax. I do accept that focus and meditation really does help physical performance, but chi is non existent in my eyes

Return to “Visitors Centre”