Honoki

Place for newcomers and leavers to announce their arrival and departure. Forum rules and handy links can be found in here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Spring Forest

Honoki

Postby Spring Forest » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Anyone know a source in the UK?
1.2 x 15mm x 125mm.

Moon

Re: Honoki

Postby Moon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm

Spring Forest wrote:Anyone know a source in the UK?
1.2 x 15mm x 125mm.

I'm assuming that the 1.2 is metres? I don't know of anywhere you can get Honoki but Poplar is an excellent alternative used by many US custom makers for saya and/or tsuka.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:50 am

"M"mmmm... :roll:

Even poplar isn't easy to come by though Moon, not the sort of thing you can stroll into the local branch of TP's and pick up a length of. I've located one timber yard in Bucks that can supply poplar, but it'll cost me more in delivery costs than the price of the piece of wood. Faced with that proposition I'm thinking I might as well go the whole hog and get honoki... if I can find a UK supplier.
Alternatively I could buy a Japanese hot tub and pull it apart, but that would provide so much of the stuff that I'd need to add a codicil to my will.

One idea that had occurred to me ( and I can hear gasps from the purists ) is to use a piece of hickory pick-axe handle. It would certainly be good from the point of shock absorbancy, and hickory is quite a nice wood to work with.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:02 am

hi spring forest
ive checked on line for you no way can i find a supplier of honoki in the uk
now just because its japanese katana dont mean you have to use honoki
other guys have used the next available thing i.e.poplar or some such
honoki was used in japan probably because it was the only decent timber
that was available chech out sites such as fred lohman in the states to see what
was used.
mick
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:31 pm

the blade master wrote: no way can i find a supplier of honoki in the uk

Neither could I Mick.

I've just got off the 'phone with a mate who rents an outbuilding on a farm in Hampshire, and he says he is lucky not to have lost his secondary double glazing stock when a bloody great big poplar came down last winter. Both he and the site owner would be glad to see the back of the huge lump, so, armed with the chainsaw, I've got an appointment in Hampshire ~ a whole tree for nothing!

I'll have to get one cut kiln dried, but the rest can sit and mature around the side of my house.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:17 pm

aye just think of all the sayas tsuka,s you,ll get out of that thing
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Return to “Visitors Centre”