Functional Handforged Japanese sword section, Are they Good?

Place for newcomers and leavers to announce their arrival and departure. Forum rules and handy links can be found in here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

tr00per7

Functional Handforged Japanese sword section, Are they Good?

Postby tr00per7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:32 pm

I am planning on getting a Japanese styled sword. I have already bought a 1917 Cold Steel Saber and a Windlass Steelcrafts English two-hand longsword but these two swords cost me £272 and £180 so to see functional swords being sold for less than £100 has made me skeptical on how functional they are.

I don't plan to whack the thing against a tree with all my might and expect it to not break but I would like to be certain they can hold up to the same kind of functionality as my other two swords as well as not being too heavy to handle.

They all seem to fit the right criteria, high carbon steel (1045-1090), Full tang, Heat treated. Just I have always been cautious of swords which were called functional but were also very cheap. Have there been many good reviews of the swords in that section?

Geordie Ross

Re: Functional Handforged Japanese sword section, Are they G

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 pm

War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

tr00per7

Postby tr00per7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:47 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:This will do the job,

http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=3928

Looks a good one, but any reason why you suggest this one over the others?

or is it because you bought this one so you know its not bad.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Its folded steel, traditionally styled, full tang, good quality, under £100 and I have one of my own.
If you want something purely for cutting I'd recommend the practical plus katana in the Chen Japanese swords, but value for money is certain with the sword I mentioned, it has the features of a sword worth twice its price.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:53 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16354

Here's a review

If price is not an issue is highly recommend the buffalo folded katana, soshu kitae laminated folded steel with clay hardened/tempered hamon.

http://blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=3911

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 pm

tr00per it might help if you told us which your interested in then we could make some decent recommendations for you
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

tr00per7

Postby tr00per7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:If you want something purely for cutting I'd recommend the practical plus katana in the Chen Japanese swords, but value for money is certain with the sword I mentioned, it has the features of a sword worth twice its price.

What is the main difference between the practical series and the practical plus?

Its just there's quite a cheap "Paul Chen Practical Katana" for £170 which I like the look of but if the one you suggested is better in terms of functionality then I would get that one instead.

the blade master wrote:tr00per it might help if you told us which your interested in then we could make some decent recommendations for you

cheap (under £250) yet functional

I'm not fussy about traditional methods such as folding, lamination and differential hardening using the clay to produce the hamon, as-long as its in the style of Japanese sword with similar weight and length and I'm able to use it against appropriate targets then that's enough for me.
Last edited by tr00per7 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:24 pm

better fittings etc geordie am i right in thinking lawrence posted some info on blade strengh etc a couple of weeks or so ago
that will answer tr00pers question
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

tr00per7

Postby tr00per7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:28 pm

the blade master wrote:better fittings etc geordie am i right in thinking lawrence posted some info on blade strengh etc a couple of weeks or so ago

Thank you for your help, things are much more clearer now.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:37 pm

tr00per7 wrote:
Geordie Ross wrote:If you want something purely for cutting I'd recommend the practical plus katana in the Chen Japanese swords, but value for money is certain with the sword I mentioned, it has the features of a sword worth twice its price.

What is the main difference between the practical series and the practical plus?

Its just there's quite a cheap "Paul Chen Practical Katana" for £170 which I like the look of but if the one you suggested is better in terms of functionality then I would get that one instead.

the blade master wrote:tr00per it might help if you told us which your interested in then we could make some decent recommendations for you

cheap (under £250) yet functional

I'm not fussy about traditional methods such as folding, lamination and differential hardening using the clay to produce the hamon, as-long as its in the style of Japanese sword with similar weight and length and I'm able to use it against appropriate targets then that's enough for me.

The main differences between the practical and the practical plus is that the practical plus has a more defined hamon, the fittings are better and the practical plus is designed for a great grip and can be fully disassembled and the practical katana can't,

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:40 pm

the blade master wrote:better fittings etc geordie am i right in thinking lawrence posted some info on blade strengh etc a couple of weeks or so ago

Yea, I think he said that its 1060 carbon steel, and that the dojos he supplies gives them favourable reviews.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:54 am

I can whole heatedly recommend Chen katanas. Anything in the £400 price range is a thing of absolute beauty and functionality.
Pimp or die baby!

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Larnz wrote:I can whole heatedly recommend Chen katanas. Anything in the £400 price range is a thing of absolute beauty and functionality.

Problem is that the Chen swords that were in the £400 bracket are now £550 - £600 since the Hanwei price hike Larn and if the Tsunami does come back in stock I suspect that it will be up there with or close to them, not at the current £350 on the main site, another UK retaler has them at close to £600.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Purple Ito.

Cheap as chips but handles surprisingly well for iaido. Well let's face it, it's a sword and you either handle it correctly or... let your imagination run wild. Light, and well balanced. That said it has a surprisingly good cutting edge and coped with a bit of impromptu pruning that I did in the garden one daft afternoon... cut through a 1 1/4 inch Rowan branch like butter. ( But then I'm full of Chi as Geordie can explain to you :-) )

However cleaning it properly afterwards was a pita, took hours, and it removed the fake yakiba... but both garden and sword look the better for the experiment ~ and next time I'll use secateurs.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:17 pm

Lol bet you worked up some negative karma while chopping the plants ;) is that the deluxe folded koto katana?

Return to “Visitors Centre”