Meeting the community as it were...

Place for newcomers and leavers to announce their arrival and departure. Forum rules and handy links can be found in here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Mellony

Meeting the community as it were...

Postby Mellony » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Thought it'd be nice to put some faces to names & get to know each other a little better, especially with our new friends from across the pond!

I'll go first, my name is "J" but I usually go by "Mell" (long story) and for a living i work as Lead Software Engineer & Database Administrator at the Cohens Group - based at the head office in sunny Bolton :mrgreen:

If I ain't on here you'll usually find me on StackOverflow or facebook waffling about something or nothing.

I joined BUK when I was 18 years old (nearly 10 years ago!) I was VERY wet behind the ears when it came to our pointy friends but I was quickly enlightened by the legends of old (anyone remember Darksun?) who quickly dispelled the childish perceptions I had of swords at the time & so i grew to see them in a different light. I suppose I developed a new respect for them in a way - ended up reading a few books on tamahagane smithing & so on; & basically continued to read the stuff posted on these forums & learning as I went.

I tend to think of myself as a collector more than a practitioner these days (dabbled in tameshigiri for a few years and did some self taught iaido with friends in my early 20's but gave that up a few years ago) but I still find the martial arts an attractive subject even if I don't partake.

Collection wise you can see some of my stuff here and here.

And in a nutshell that's yours truly - I look forward to learning a little more about you guys (mick, did you serve in the army? And moon, where does your encyclopaedic knowledge come from?)

Mell.
Semper cogitatio.

the blade master

Re: Meeting the community as it were...

Postby the blade master » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:33 pm

mell hi
have you decided to do anything about the odachi's stuka yet as i gather you wasnt to happy at the time you bought it
nice idea about the community but theres some details i would prefer to keep to myself i belive you guys allready know
enough about me without divulging any more than need be but i will answer this for you mell yes i was in the army did
training just up the road from you at preston fullwood barracks to be exact the loyals in the lancastrian brigade
as an infantryman upon completion transfered to the rct as a driver .
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:02 am

Nice to put a face to the name mell, add my Facebook if you use it, just search mod delete as mells got it
Last edited by Geordie Ross on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:35 am

geordie hi
not a wise idea to post that addy/link on an open forum wouldnt it be better sent as a pm but then its up to you my friend
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Mellony

Postby Mellony » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:42 am

the blade master wrote:geordie hi
not a wise idea to post that addy/link on an open forum wouldnt it be better sent as a pm but then its up to you my friend

Indeed, ive added you now anyways geordie so best to edit your post.

the blade master wrote:Have you decided to do anything about the odachi's stuka yet as i gather you wasn't to happy at the time you bought it

No i didnt, tbh i keep trying to give it away as i dont like it but no bugger is taking it lol - just sat in spare room now collecting dust. Still live the Cold Steel one though.

the blade master wrote:Nice idea about the community but there's some details i would prefer to keep to myself i believe you guys allready know enough about me without divulging any more than need be

Completely understandable m8, wouldn't want to encourage anyone to post something they're not comfortable with :D

the blade master wrote:Yes i was in the army did training just up the road from you at preston fullwood barracks to be exact the loyals in the lancasterian brigade as an infantryman upon completion transferred to the rct as a driver .

/Salute sir! How long where you in the army if you don't mind me asking?
Semper cogitatio.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:13 am

I can give a vague description of mick as I've met him, he's around 28 years old, and has had transgender surgery, his hair is now long and blonde but he insists on having a beard to match his breast implants.
He's a very peculiar creature lol

Mellony

Postby Mellony » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:20 am

That almost makes up for him comparing me to the child catcher lol
Semper cogitatio.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 am

aye and dont forget the breasts flasher on my back as id make a great dancing partner lols
forum moderator

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:48 am

I've posted more than just my face on this forum in the past so I doubt anyone wants to see any more of me :mrgreen:
Pimp or die baby!

Mellony

Postby Mellony » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:57 am

lol Larny - not the scariest image you've ever posted - had trouble adding you on facebook so i've sent you a message on there instead so you can add me.
Semper cogitatio.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Woah, larnz, if you put glasses on you'd look remarkably similar to mell lol
Can't find you on Facebook larnz, try adding me rossbxr001@hotmail.com

Ps that email address is only for my Facebook, if you want to send emails etc just PM me for my current adress ;)
Last edited by Geordie Ross on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:37 pm

you know larns if you knew how much of myself i can see in you when i was in my 30's its allmost scarey
wierd strang call it what you will unsetling to say the least and no im not mucking about
mick
forum moderator

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:01 pm

Is it a requirement of this forum to all look alike lol :mrgreen:
Pimp or die baby!

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:44 pm

good question lols
forum moderator

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Well I may as well divulge a little about myself, but as I hate photos of myself & the only ones I have are from my wedding, I'll omit one for now.
I'm 46, 'medically retired' as one doctor quaintly put it, I have lived in Leicester my entire life & I have always had an interest in weaponry since I was a child.
I started my small collection about 18 months ago, everything in it is what you may call a 'budget' purchase, I have also passed the 'collecting bug' to my Wife who has a slightly smaller collection than my self.
My other hobbies are Video Games & watching movies at the weekend with the Mrs, mainly horror, but we have others, I hope that sheds a little light, :D

Return to “Visitors Centre”