Try tying one of these when the sageo is...

Place for newcomers and leavers to announce their arrival and departure. Forum rules and handy links can be found in here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Spring Forest

Try tying one of these when the sageo is...

Postby Spring Forest » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:54 pm

... coated in vinyl.

First attempt at the most awkward knot I've ever tied... and plastic doesn't make it any easier :roll:

To quote Ken Watanabe ~ "Not quite puffeck"

Geordie Ross

Re: Try tying one of these when the sageo is...

Postby Geordie Ross » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Did it come loose? You've done a good job at making it presentation knot. I'd never manage that, I can nearly tie my shoe laces lol
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Did it come loose? You've done a good job at making it presentation knot. I'd never manage that, I can nearly tie my shoe laces lol

I thought you were a slip on sort of guy. :D

I was just playing about to see how it would work out. I want to replace the tsuka ito and the sageo ito of this sword. At the moment it has a suede tsuka wrapping and it feels really uncomfortable... wet and nasty. Silk for a decent piece of metal.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:27 pm

Well I wouldn't recommend trying it out on your raptor, start on something cheaper, personally I loved the suede ito on the unokubi zukuri, it was battle wrapped though and it felt so comfortable.

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Well I wouldn't recommend trying it out on your raptor, start on something cheaper, personally I loved the suede into on the unokubi zukuri, it was battle wrapped though and it felt so comfortable.

Too late... and I was shocked at what I found. The ray skin doesn't even envelop the tsuka... it has two pieces of skin laid along each side, the ito just covering the bare wood. Talk about cutting corners. No wonder the japanese didn't like the b*****s.
So now I have to find somewhere to buy a ray skin before I can put the thing back together.

That said, it opens up a whole new field. I was going to use a pale blue silk ito on the existing white. Pale blue on black?

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:17 pm

On the Sageo front, I tried to re-tie the one on my Huang, but just couldn't get it right, so I did something different, I was pleased the results, there's a pic somewhere on here, can't quite remember where though.....

As for the ray skin, I belive it this practice of 'panel wraping' is quite common, I imagine it save on the overall cost & unless you disassemble the Tsuka Ito, you'll be none the wiser, I know my Huang & the Wife's Blue Tiger are panel-wrapped, I pushed the Ito apart slightly where it meets & found wood..........make of that what you will, :D

Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:05 pm

I think that looks brilliant I wouldn't be able to manage that in a million years.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:28 pm

guys i think you will find that even high end kats of £400 and upwards will have just same panels on the tsuka
so its not just the cheaper kats this happens to
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:56 pm

The majority of production katanas do

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Going back to source... a friend sent me this ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDA-La1PIek ~talk about feeling like a right Charlie! :D
Not sure about "Lastly", but doesn't this lass make it look darned easy?!

Mellony

Postby Mellony » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:12 am

Spring Forest wrote:Going back to source... a friend sent me this ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDA-La1PIek ~talk about feeling like a right Charlie! :D

hehe, that's the exact same video that i used to learn how to do them!
Semper cogitatio.

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Mellony wrote:
Spring Forest wrote:Going back to source... a friend sent me this ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDA-La1PIek ~talk about feeling like a right Charlie! :D

hehe, that's the exact same video that i used to learn how to do them!

I obviously overlooked the bit involving the paper! What is it with these folks and paper? Personally I associate that stuff with bad news :GG

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:12 am

The rewrapped Raptor ( thank God I've got my own teeth )... it ain't perfect, but I think it's an improvement.

To any tsukamaki virgins I would suggest avoid using silk for your first attempt ~ it's expensive and difficult to stop it from slipping, especially around the menuki. And to anyone who is experienced at doing this I would say 'avoid using silk' ~ it's difficult to stop it slipping and it's expensive.
Even with a friend purchasing this stuff for me in the US, where it's a lot cheaper, it still cost me over 50 quid for the ito.
Since doing this I've found a Chinese outlet for ito and sword fittings that is so cheap it beggars belief.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:35 pm

very nice job there spring well done :D
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Thank you Mick

Return to “Visitors Centre”