New Bride Sword replica about - would BUK stock them?

Post any feedback or suggestions relating to the Blades-UK website and forum

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Liquidream

New Bride Sword replica about - would BUK stock them?

Post by Liquidream » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:22 am

Hi all,

I'm pretty new here, so apologies if I'm doing something wrong here, but I've been looking for a "decent" replica of the Bride's sword from Kill Bill for like AGES! :lick:

I have just found someone selling some on <a known auction site> which seem to be by the same manufacturer as the previous "replicas". I would never attempt to link to the site/sale in question, but have got some images of the sword (which AFAIK have no details of the seller etc. so you guys can give your opinion/look into it).

From the pics it looks so much better than the previous attempts. The RaySkin(??) looks much better than the previous one. It also boasts at being full tang(??) as can be seen in one pics. Obviously for all I know, the fixtures could be all woobly and cheap, but perhaps its a gamble? It even comes with a cleaning kit, as it says the blade is "HRC1060 High Carbon Steel", which (as a learner) I dunno if its good or bad?

The cost is approx £80 + £30 shipping :| , which I think will come down in time, but I'd feel much better buying it from BUK (if u can stock it) as you guys really know your stuff (whereas I am a simple newbie looking for a replica!). :oops:

Warning these images quite big!

Image Image Image Image

Appreciate any pro's opinion.... cheers! :D

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:38 am

I'm by no means an expert but to me the sales pitch just does not seem right. £80 for a 1060 Carbon Steel bladed katana smells wrong to begin with, especially if you tag onto that the fact that it is a movie replica. The manufacturer would have to be paying copyright costs to produce it which (imo) would drive the price up into the 3 figure territory. Again not an expert but the rayskin doesn't look quite right to me, looks very flat and dark, I can only base this on pictures I've seen of other swords with genuine rayskin as I don't own any myself. You may want to look at some of the higher range swords B-UK sell and compare the pictures to each other to form your own opinion on that though.
It is double pegged and from the picture certainly appears to be full tang as they claim. The blade just doesn't look right to me though personally, again I'm not an expert (I'm sure one of the more japanese oriented collectors will be along to comment shortly) but the hamon looks to well regulated, almost as if the pattern had been machined on which doesn't fit well with the claim that its carbon steel (could be mistaken feel free to correct me if I am).

If what you are looking for is a decent replica of the sword from the film then you seem to have found one in which case go for it. If you are after a functional piece to do any test cutting or anything like that then I would steer clear and put the money towards one of the Hanwei blades that B-UK sell instead.

As for whether B-UK can stock it, no one on the forum (bar the owner occasionally) works for B-UK. Your best bet would be to email them directly, the address is on the main page. Include the link to the site you saw it from and any pictures and they should be able to help you out.

Hope everything works out for you mate :D

HatchA

Post by HatchA » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:27 pm

I'm gonna step out on a limb here and say the claim about 1060 CS is bollox.

this pic...

http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ll43re.jpg

just reminds me too much of a PURELY display sword I bought in the Japanese pavillion of Epcot in Disney world a number of years ago.

Pics of mine to come.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:36 pm

IMHO that looks just as sh*t as the old one :S A custom made sword is the only wat to go regarding this sword and even then it'll probably look nowt like the prop used in the movie

HatchA

Post by HatchA » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:50 pm

Larny Boy wrote:IMHO that looks just as sh*t as the old one :S A custom made sword is the only wat to go regarding this sword and even then it'll probably look nowt like the prop used in the movie
True...

prop was shiny, hence the mirror effect in the house of blue leaves...

Japanese swords are rarely finished like that.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:08 pm

Also remember just cos a blade is made of carbon steel doesn't mean its gonna be good quality. Just look at the Kingdom of Heaven swords for proof of that. That bamboo katana I had was also carbon steel and it was so poor it barely resembled real metal :S

Liquidream

Post by Liquidream » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:55 pm

OK, thanks for all your advice - you've all been very helpful.

I'm still undecided about this sword. Either way I'm waiting for it to come down in price. Personally I am not after a cutting sword, more of a wall hanger, so I'd rather is was stainless steel (or whatever).

Thanks again! :D

Loz
Blades UK

Re: New Bride Sword replica about - would BUK stock them?

Post by Loz » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:16 pm

We have these arriving in about 4 weeks

Liquidream

Post by Liquidream » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:05 pm

Out of curiousity, have these swords arrived yet?

(I had a look on the site, but couldnt see 'em)

Cheers.

Solutech

Post by Solutech » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:21 pm

http://blades-uk.com/search_results.php?q=bride

Take your pick :D . Leather one dont look too bad for a £40 wall hanger

Liquidream

Post by Liquidream » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks Solutech, but I already knew BUK had these replica's in.

I was kinda hoping that Loz meant that they were stocking the ones I had photos of in my first post, as it looks (in my opinion) a closer replica - even if it is actually a crap "sword" :D

Cheers!

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:10 pm

for the record.. 1060 carbon steel is cheap as f*ck. its highly possible that its carbon steel, but thats not to say its high quality. think about it... to claim this was a carbon steel blade, all they would have to do is replace the stainless steel with 1060 in the machines. add a slapdash clay coating (by machine), and a quick run thriugh the forge (minimal effort), and its all set.

a quick rubbing down with some sandpaper, and its all set.

just because its 1060, doesnt mean its decent. and the materials are actually cheaper. add the standard tsuka (same as the SS jobbers) and the same saya.... it really is a simple conversion.

i could make a 1060 carbon knife blade thats crap, and another thats obscenely strong. its just a case of how much effort i put in... same here. its simple a change of material.

so it probally is 1060, but its also gonna be complete sh*te.

Scott

Post by Scott » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:27 pm

What's with the metal koiguchi? I've never understood this...