Shinto Katana Question

Post any feedback or suggestions relating to the Blades-UK website and forum

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

tombeck

Shinto Katana Question

Postby tombeck » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:39 am

Ok, so i have shifted from wanting the replica 'demon' sword, to the ppk, and now to the shinto katana, i have convinced myself to go for something more aesthetic.
I was amazed by the shinto price on blades-uk as it is the cheapest of the sites i have recently been on. However it claims to be the original shinto katana but is a picture of what i believe to be the shinto 'elite' katana. The main visual difference being the bohi on the original (also the 'display' type sageo).
I was just wondering which of the two blades-uk are actucally selling, many thanks for the feedback.
p.s couldnt find a suitable place to post this, so put it in suggestions ;)

Loz
Blades UK

Re: Shinto Katana Question

Postby Loz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi,

We sell what would be called the 'Shinto Elite' but we don't call it that as the name was confusing , it's the shinto with no bohi just as per our product image and description.

Perhaps you're getting confused with the original shinto we are selling on behalf of a customer which does have a bo hi and is £345 in the sale section, but even there the image is accurate.

If you sell a shinto and a shinto elite - people expect the latter to be better, particuarly novices, when in fact they are entirely different swords for different martial artists, if we sold both we'd sell them as Shinto Tamashigeri and Shinto Iaito I expect but we don't, just the one so it makes sense to call it simply Shinto Katana.
http://www.Blades-UK.com for your Swords

tombeck

Postby tombeck » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:26 pm

i must have missed that customer sale, unmatched price suprised it is still there!
Is the shinto on sale a discontinued or older model? I would have thought the swords change slightly over time. Also Loz would it be too much to ask for some pictures of the katana? I wouldnt normally ask but with it being second hand its always nice to visually inspect it for peace of mind. Thnaks again for the feedback, I'l get there eventually!

Loz
Blades UK

Postby Loz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:22 pm

shinto on sale is the latest model with the bohi.

Images are on my to do list, hopefully will have those done in the next couple of days.

tombeck

Postby tombeck » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:42 pm

that would be great, where should i keep a look out for them?
cheers pal

Loz
Blades UK

Postby Loz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:10 am

I'll add them to the site and let you know on here, cheers

tombeck

Postby tombeck » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:18 pm

thanks bud
i have another question :)
i have the hanwei catalogue and it says that the shinto is made of T10 high carbon steel, however alot of sites i have been on say its 1065, any idea which this one is made of?
Also i have been trying to find out what T10 steel is. Seems its alot like 1095 steel but thats all the info i got, if you have any more info of how it rates against other steel that would be great,
big thanks once again :D

Loz
Blades UK

Postby Loz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:43 pm

Far as I have seen, tool steel is just another measurement method but none of our suppliers use it, I do know T10 is in the region of 1095 as you've pointed out but I would say this is a redundant point, 1045 is adequate for a sword, 1050 is great, 1060 is beyond greatm you can make it from 1095 or damascus but it's never going to be put through anything a 1050 blade can't handle (assuming you are cutting correctly).

Essentially steel strength should be last on your list, forging process is far more important, followed closely by presence of a bohi or not (not being much better for a tamashigeri beginner)

pics are done and will be up on the site tomorrow

tombeck

Postby tombeck » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:31 am

thanks for that insight, i agree it is not as important as other details, but i know enough about the general quality now so was just getting more info on it.
As for the BoHi, this is no issue, i dont have much cutting experience and wouldnt put the blade through it, atleast not on full tatami
Look forward to seeing the photos, appreciate that
final thanks for the great feedback :)

Return to “Feedback & Suggestions”