My new sword

Post any feedback or suggestions relating to the Blades-UK website and forum

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

chikungboy1

My new sword

Postby chikungboy1 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:36 am

Very pleased with my sword i received from blades uk i will be buying more and will recommend the product and service to anyone who is needing this service
thanks again
Mr Alderson

the blade master

Re: My new sword

Postby the blade master » Mon May 21, 2012 11:59 am

mr alderson why so formal lols cmon were all on first name terms here :D
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Mon May 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Welcome to the forum, what sword did you buy?
You can call me either Geordie or just Ross ;)
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:12 pm

... and it will only get better mate.

My new baby arrived today... needed a bit of TLC, but that was always a given for a secondhand blade, and the sageo needs sorting out, but I want to replace it with a different colour.

I'm very fond or the two other swords that I have, but they are like marbles compared to the crown green bowling ball when it comes to this.

And if Mr Geordie wants to hear a funny story about Ch.. ch.. chance, I've now got a new one :D

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:21 pm

Awesome, is that the golden oriole?

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Awesome, is that the golden oriole?

The Raptor... it's a seriously well made thing. A lot heavier than the other two... but Spring isn't here yet so it won't be brought out to the fore. The other 2 are up for sale anyway... Who needs three blades?

Have I mentioned that I have two Fenders, and a couple of acoustic beauties?

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Ahh I see, the Ito looks blue lol, my raptor has black Ito.
And yes, the moroha raptor has one hell of a beefy blade, all the blade types of the raptor are fairly unique, that's why I like em lol

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:08 pm

Geordie Ross wrote: And yes, the moroha raptor has one hell of a beefy blade, all the blade types of the raptor are fairly unique, that's why I like em lol

Is it mohora zukuri? Hard to tell from the pic as I can't see the whole blade - and a question for Dotanuki...is there any Ryu that uses this style of blade today B'?

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:30 pm

Oh no is it the shinogi? I forget but its the one with the really thick blade

Dotanuki2K

Postby Dotanuki2K » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:31 am

I've never seen this style of blade used by any traditional ryu.
But like with all things, don't mean it's not possible, although I would say, IMO, not very likely.
This is really just a cavalry blade mounted as a katana. If there are early versions of this blade, I would say it was more of a novelty thing rather than widespread use. Like when you see samurai wear Spanish armour.
In the 1800's and early 1900's probably seen more when the japanese were trying to emulate european style and dress, especially in the military. Although this would apply to the modern non-samurai soldier. The ryu's always maintained the old traditions of the samurai.
The raptor series is just a modern take on the japanese katana and should be considered as such.
Experience is is simply the name we give our mistakes

Moon

Postby Moon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:48 pm

The moroha zukuri tachi did exist, the most famous being the Kogarasu Maru (Little Crow) made around 1200 years ago, the blade is sharpened the full length on one side and about a third on the other but I've never read of them being used for anything other than ceremonial purposes since the more common styles were introduced over the ages, so I thought I'd ask. ;)

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Dotanuki2K

Postby Dotanuki2K » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Moon wrote:The moroha zukuri tachi did exist, the most famous being the Kogarasu Maru (Little Crow) made around 1200 years ago, the blade is sharpened the full length on one side and about a third on the other but I've never read of them being used for anything other than ceremonial purposes since the more common styles were introduced over the ages, so I thought I'd ask. ;)

Moon,
A moroha zukuri tachi would make more sense than one mounted as a katana.
As I said cavalry sabre.
Watch the movie "Heaven and Earth" which is about the famous battles between Takeda Shingen and Kenshin Uesegi.
This movie shows battlefield combat of the period. You would be surprised how similar the tactics were to the west.
This is really evident to students of military history drawing parralels to the combat styles of the dffering cultures.
Experience is is simply the name we give our mistakes

Moon

Postby Moon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:06 am

This one was made by Gassan Sadakatsu in 1940, just shows that the style hasn't changed much, if at all, for over a 1,000 years.

Spring Forest

Postby Spring Forest » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:11 pm

Moon wrote:This one was made by Gassan Sadakatsu in 1940, just shows that the style hasn't changed much, if at all, for over a 1,000 years.

That is one awesome looking blade...

but, didn't the katana evolve from a cavalry sword anyway? The curve being instigated merely to make it less likely to 'snag' ( getting really technical now ) in loose armour or boney bits.

[ Question: What's the best polish to employ on a blade? ]

Moon

Postby Moon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:00 am

Spring Forest wrote: didn't the katana evolve from a cavalry sword anyway? The curve being instigated merely to make it less likely to 'snag' ( getting really technical now ) in loose armour or boney bits.

[ Question: What's the best polish to employ on a blade? ]

Changes in Nihonto can be found on this page http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/sugata/shape.htm and there is no 'best' polish that I'm aware of, polishing a modern production sword will invariably erase the hamon which may well be real but is usually acid enhanced.

Return to “Feedback & Suggestions”