RJH Jungle Knife

Post any feedback or suggestions relating to the Blades-UK website and forum

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

daveh

RJH Jungle Knife

Postby daveh » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:02 am

(Posted in feedback - I think that was the wrong section)

Hi, Anyone know of or got a RJH jungle knife by wilkinson sword?. (What does RJH stand for?) Apparently it's grip is the same as the 1908 pattern cavalry sword. Any details, prices etc??

Daveh

Moon

Re: RJH Jungle Knife

Postby Moon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:16 pm

The knife was designed by Robert and John Wilkinson-Latham and Howard Evans so the RJH stands for Robert, John, Howard.
One sold at auction for £400 but I don't know if that's the going price.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

daveh

Postby daveh » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi Moon

Thanks for following my question to this forum. Very interesting about the names. I know someone who's selling one at the mo. So I'm doing a bit of digging.

DaveH
Last edited by daveh on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveh

Postby daveh » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Do you know what era it was made? I am told 1960's (?)

daveh

Moon

Postby Moon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Yep, 1960s is right, not sure which year exactly though.
£530 seems expensive to me but condition is paramount of course, the one below was up for £250 but that was 2 years ago and another sold for $125 in the USA last year, maybe they've appreciated in value since then, so don't take my word on it. ;)

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

daveh

Postby daveh » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Ah, thanks for that. £530 sounds a bit steep to me too Lol!! I'll see if i can negotiate. Thanks for the pic too.

Daveh

daveh

Postby daveh » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Do you know who they were issued to by the way?

daveh

Moon

Postby Moon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:06 pm

daveh wrote:Do you know who they were issued to by the way?

daveh

I don't know if they were ever issued to anybody but...

APPARENTLY ONLY A FEW THOUSAND WERE MADE AS PART OF AN MOD CONTRACT WHICH WAS CANCELLED SO THE REMAINING KNIVES WERE EXPORTED BUT ACCORDING TO RON FLOOKS FANTASTIC BOOK ON BRITISH AND COMMONWEALTH KNIVES (PAGE 123 IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT KNIVES YOU MUST BUY THIS BOOK) THERE IS SOME EVIDENCE THAT SOME OF THESE KNIVES WERE ISSUED IN THE FAR EAST ~~Anon

daveh

Postby daveh » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Once again, thanks Moon for letting me tap your wealth of knowledge. Checked out the book on Amazon. A second hand copy is £70 :|

Cheers

Daveh

Moon

Postby Moon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Well it's not my knowledge Dave, it's just what I've found online and yeah, some books are very expensive. :|
I've noticed that some old listings for the RJH knife connect it to the war in Vietnam and I'm wondering if some Kiwis or Aussies were issued with them as they are the only Commonwealth troops that I can think of who were involved in a conflict in the Far East during the 1960s and that would tie in with what Ron Flook wrote but that's purely conjecture on my part...interesting topic. ;)

EDIT:
Just found this on SFI posted by Robert Wilkinson-Latham.
That was the Wilkinson RJH Jungle knife. made in the mid 1960's.
here is the 1968 US patent
and here is the label and a photo with sheath.

originally developed as a Survival Knife for the MOD. Mid production the MOD decided it to be too expensive and the project stopped. The stocks of the knife were sold, many being bought by servicemen.

daveh

Postby daveh » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 am

Thanks once again. I have been googling it like mad and get almost nothing back. you are black belt in research :D Very interesting indeed!

daveh

Moon

Postby Moon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:00 pm

daveh wrote:Thanks once again. I have been googling it like mad and get almost nothing back. you are black belt in research :D Very interesting indeed!

daveh

:D It's just knowing where to look really Dave. ;)

Robert Wilkinson-Latham is the 'Antique & Military Forum Educational Advisor' on SFI, he was logged in this evening.

daveh

Postby daveh » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi, I didn't buy it, by the way. He wanted £580 !!!! :| Too much for my small purse.

Thanks for all the info once again

Dave

Return to “Feedback & Suggestions”