i need a suit of armour

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

i need a suit of armour

Post by 2841981 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:17 pm

hi

to firstly put things i perspective i am 16 and have limited money available.

me and my mate have been doing some choreographed duels and some real ones that dont last more than a couple of moves and usually end in a few painful bruises and as such some armour would be useful

we use bokkens me a katana and he uses a pair of wakizashi's

but i am a very practical person which also means im a bit of a tight-wad not liking to spend much money and thus (finally getting to the point) armour would be very useful, i was thinking pauldrons a breastplate forearm guards upper arm guards and thigh guards but only armoured on the front
i see this as being effective and practical and although useing japanese training weapons im not really into there armour prefering the spec. that i have just given

but im just asking for advice on how to make some but again please remember im 16 and have limeted funds and knowledge so please nothing too complicated

cheers

nath/2841981

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:50 pm

To be absolutely honest with you mate if the duels you are doing are choreographed then there shouldn't be any need for protection at all as you both should be doing things very slowly til you get it right and start to speed up from there. Now if you still want to find a way to protect yourself I still think that armour is not necessarily the way to go. You could help yourself out by wearing thicker clothes, or more layers to soak up the hits. Alternatively there is a wide variety of martial arts body protection available from various different sources both in stores and online. If I were you I would give it a miss and be more careful in the future if the blows are really starting to hurt. However the choice is yours

Post by 2841981 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:18 pm

no this is mainly for yhe non-choreographed duels and as i said i a bit strapped for cash and thus real martial arts armour is out of the question
and if we wore extra clothes we pass out of heat exhaustion

the idea is to basically have a practical suit of armour that will absorb some of the shock

any more ideas

cheers

nath/2841981

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:20 pm

Martial arts armour is gonna be the cheapest mate if you must have some. If you can't get hold of some of that then I suggest just being a bit more careful whilst dueling

Post by 2841981 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:22 pm

have you got any prices of the top of your head? im not really looking for anything thats too heavy ie. not metal

cheers
nath/2841981

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:05 pm

http://www.blades-uk.com/view_items.php?cat_id=140

There you will find a chest guard and knee/shin pads. With about 2 minutes search on google there is also a site selling various martial arts protective equipment. I can't name the site here but Google is your friend and it shouldn't be hard to find think martial arts and shop and you should be alright

Killua

Post by Killua » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:31 pm

I'm with Angelus on this one. Also, don't move too quickly in non-choreographed sparring. I know it can be difficult, but it's the only away to avoid concussions etc. I personally have to slow my hand movements to below half whereas body movements can stay pretty fast.

Know your limits, know your control and remember to focus. Sloppiness leads to injuries.

sprout

Post by sprout » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:09 am

If you are a member of a club they should be able to get you stuff cheaper. Not always true, but worth comparing.

Detsawm

Post by Detsawm » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:07 pm

I know this sounds a but stupid but something that i have done in the past is used various pieces of string to tie a regular dinner tray onto my body and wear it under clothes. You feel like a pratt but you don't get hurt. Unless you aim for the head............ which i think is safe to say is a bit stupid when the idea isn't to kill or badly hurt. shinpads work to, both on your shins and your arms but unless you have a VERY tight budget i would go with the actual proper protection.

Simoriax

Post by Simoriax » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:33 pm

how about some pipe insulation on the bokken? would help a lot.

maciek1230

Post by maciek1230 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:45 pm

Yup SimoriaX is right.
I and my friend besides bokkens for controled combat use
bromm stick swords coverd with comb.
Its pretty good, coz hits dont leave bruses just like boxing gloves,
thus sticks are lighter than bokkens.
Watch out a bit for thrusts tho, or upgrade that idea.
Good luck.