a wooden naginata

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

a wooden naginata

Post by 2841981 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:01 pm

now i know i ask alot (okay a hell of a lot ) of questions but if you remember me saying that i ended up with 2 wooden wakizashi's well say if i was to get a jo staff (or bo) could i fix the wak to the end to make a naginata style weapon or is that another daft comment by me but if it could work how securly would that no nails glue work or the glue that says its stronger than the wood its self would that hold it in place and still allow it to to take a beating (ie dueling or sparring) or stand up to use in sequence linked moves

if you think its a daft idea say, if you think its a good idea say but if you think im s**t stupid and should not even be allowed wooden variations of weopons then please dont say, or my 8 feet tall bunny crossed with a pirahna will come looking for you its called a barunnya and hes called stephanie

regards
nath/2841981

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:13 pm

It could be done but I would not suggest it. No matter what you use to "glue" the wak onto the end of the staff given the right amount of pressure it would break. To be honest mate if you are thinking of doing this for training then I would suggest that you focus on a particular weapon to train with as you won't do yourself in favours by trying to learn everything to quickly

Post by 2841981 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:29 pm

I would suggest that you focus on a particular weapon to train with as you won't do yourself in favours by trying to learn everything to quickly
[bratty little fiveyear old] spoil sport [/bratty little fiveyear old]

but you are damn right basically so far with my bokken ive done five kata's each one getting increasingly longer i'll take some vids and post them within the next couple of days and know im going too try and do some dual wakizashi kata's (five preferably) but i like making my own techniques which is why i was thinking about the naginata but as for the katana bokken training i'll post the vids soon and i've tryed to take into account the things people said about footwork,grip on the bokken and more defined cuts but you'll have to wait a few more days before i put the vids up and once again publicly make a fool of my self on the internet but this time without my mate to take some of the heat of me

cheers for the input about the lack of touque that it would be able to take Angelus but in general it was just an idea

regards
nath/2841981

sprout

Post by sprout » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:48 am

daft. go for quality not quantity in your training.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:36 am

If I read it right you want to join a wooden wak bokken onto a bo to make a practice Nag? Right, no matter how strong the glue after a couple of hard hits at most it will fall appart, but if you joint the 2 pieces together in a dovetail joint plus the glue that should hold as long as the wood does.

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:01 am

hee hee hee..... 2841981 you are one in a million.
At least you're honest with your intentions, and hey, if you don't ask, you don't get answers.
BB is the resident wood expert, but having trained with a nag, its is a heavy piece of hard wood and has a specific role to play because of its weight.
Your idea to be fair is crazy, it would last about as long as a chocolate kettle. And the wak may splinter off and cause damage and/or injury.
And like i said the weight balance would be completely wrong.
If you can, look online for a nag v bokken kata, then you'll understand the uses and practicality of the weapon.

have fun.....but ffs, be safe about it (H)

Post by 2841981 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:06 pm

well to be totally honest i never thought it would work but because of problems with having swords at the moment (i've got to the stage that allows be one but it has to be blunted but given time i can change that), im just getting a selection of wooden weapons at the moment and i've always liked stave weapons and the naginata is the only one i know of that has a curved blade im not planning on using it in sparring for a while (im finding it quite hard to let go of my bokken at the moment for longer than five minutes).

I realise that a dovetail joint would be the best option but i have niether the tools or the skills to do that (gutted :@ )

thanks for the input im going to go a play fetch with my barunnya

regards
nath/2841981

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:46 pm

:tut: USE PUNCTUATION!!! :@ The demi-god that is Honda-T has asked you once. Obey, lest we rise up in anger and smite thee a mighty teeth-loosening blow, such as would knock the very b*llox off a mighty elephant!

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:50 pm

Mate a dovetail is about yer only sensible option apart from buying a practice Nag which I recommend.

Post by 2841981 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:53 pm

USE PUNCTUATION!!! The demi-god that is Honda-T has asked you once. Obey, lest we rise up in anger and smite thee a mighty teeth-loosening blow, such as would knock the very b*llox off a mighty elephant!
i do try but i get sidetracked very easily

oh look a pink elephant

regards
nath/2841981

Short Recoil

Post by Short Recoil » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:35 pm

Why don't you make a martial art where you hold a wakazashi in your right hand, a kama in your left then a tanto in your mouth and a bo up your ass :D 8)

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:02 am

Short Recoil wrote:Why don't you make a martial art where you hold a wakazashi in your right hand, a kama in your left then a tanto in your mouth and a bo up your ass :D 8)
If nothing else your opponents would be surprised... 8)

Post by 2841981 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:18 pm

Why don't you make a martial art where you hold a wakazashi in your right hand, a kama in your left then a tanto in your mouth and a bo up your ass
i tell you what short recoil, i'll wait till i see you in one of those daft martial arts movies practising the martial art which i've named for you boupyabutt (pronounced bo-up-ya-butt) and then i still dont think i would consider learning it :D .

but i would challenge you to a dual but the last time i threw my metal gauntlet at the computer it broke the moniter and cost 150 to get a new one, :8745

regards
nath/2841981

Dr. Egg PHD
Location: 1.The act or process of locating 2.A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Dr. Egg PHD » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:34 pm

2841981 wrote: the last time i threw my metal gauntlet at the computer it broke

Funny that......

Post by 2841981 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:55 pm

Funny that......
are you being sarcastic? :brows:

nath/2841981