CHEN PFK replacing the imitation rayskin and plastic ito.

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

chipchap

CHEN PFK replacing the imitation rayskin and plastic ito.

Postby chipchap » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:26 am

Hi I have a Paul Chen PFK katana which is just to big for use so ive decided to just keep it for display purposes only, such a nice blade, the only thing i dont like is the plastic rayskin and the plastic ito wrap, is there anyone out there who could change this for a cotton ito wrap and real rayskin? I live in essex and could drop the sword off if they were not to far away, so any idear of the cost to supply and fit? I have a limited budget so any well known companies are just not possible, there seems to be a lot of tallented people on these forums im sure someone must be able to help?
The one who hesitates is lost

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:30 am

You could do it yerself mate, the info on the wrap and what to do with the same is on these boards and the materials are available in the uk online.
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

chipchap

Sorry blackbird not enough time

Postby chipchap » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:44 pm

Im afraid i have not got the time to perfect the art of wrapping ito, the ito wrap on my LL Taketoshi and LL Mk2 are nice and tight but the wrap on my Tony Long Musashi is a little bit looser, it looks like a skilled job which will take more than a couple of hours practice i think i will hopefully
find someone else to do it. thanks anyway

chipchap
The one who hesitates is lost

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:05 pm

If you're concerned about the Ito on your TL being a little loose,best to do something about it now rather than wait for it to get worse and one thing you can do is to get hold of a PVA adhesive,like "Unibond" or a similar well known brand,just a small tin will be far more than enough.
Use a small,fairly stiff bristled brush which you can get from most DIY centres or Arts&Crafts shops and work the PVA into and under the Ito,don't worry about it getting on the Same or Menuki,it will look a mess when first done but don't panic,the PVA will dry clear in a few hours and you'll have a nice sheen on the Ito which shouldn't feel loose anymore.
Don't apply more than 1 coat as this may cause the PVA to flake after a few months and allow 24-48 hours before using the blade,even though you can handle it after 6 hours.
If the Ito comes loose again after prolonged use,just do it again,you'll have plenty of PVA left over to do it several times.

*Edit*

Forgot to mention that you should mask the Fuchi and Kashira but I guess that's obvious anyway.
Last edited by Moon on Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

BlackRonin

Postby BlackRonin » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:07 pm

me hates this too, luckily i aint came across it on me pk

but look for a orenshi(think thats the name of lucy lu's char from that film, erm the 1 with a bad tempered bride) type, no wrapping so no looseness to worry about
9ShakuMako wrote: wrote:I had a big black one but over-polished it.

Wraith wrote: wrote:"Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6"

The larnster wrote: wrote:"you simply can not Polish a turd ad expect it to shine"

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:39 pm

BlackRonin wrote:me hates this too, luckily i aint came across it on me pk

but look for a orenshi(think thats the name of lucy lu's char from that film, erm the 1 with a bad tempered bride) type, no wrapping so no looseness to worry about

:???: :D .BR wtf is Lucy Lu? :D "orenshi"? :S and I don't know anyone who didn't have a bad tempered bride,although they didn't find out until after the Wedding. :D
Have I been watching too much "Discovery" and "History" doc's on Sky and not enough DVDs? :D
Can you,can anyone enlighten me? :S
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

darksun_uk
Mod

Postby darksun_uk » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:04 pm

he is reffering to a character in kill bill volume 1 who uses a aikuchi katana (shira saya mounts+laquer) which look cool but are not really suitable for use as the tsuka is weaker without the wrap and there is no tsuba.....

kind regards

Moon

Postby Moon » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:21 pm

Thanks DS,I've never seen any of those films.
I really ought to get out more :D

BlackRonin

Postby BlackRonin » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:49 pm

u not heard of internet renting:D
9ShakuMako wrote: wrote:I had a big black one but over-polished it.

Wraith wrote: wrote:"Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6"

The larnster wrote: wrote:"you simply can not Polish a turd ad expect it to shine"

cybernex

RE:

Postby cybernex » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:17 pm

Dose anybody know how to do the finishing knotts on the end of the tsuka?

I know how to bind Ito but i've seen so many ways to tie it off through the pommell but whenever i do it it gose slightly wrong.

I can bind the Sago around the Saya Almost perfectly but the ito finishing knott just illudes me.

Ah if your PFK all gose Horrably Wrong Then Rattan Binding and a very STRONG glue is your friend!!!!!! :D
"I Belong To The Warrior Whom The Old Ways Have Joined With The New."

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:03 pm

May be of some help.

http://pages.prodigy.net/tlbuck/tsuka/tsuka.htm

Best of luck.

Jaques

Postby Jaques » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:21 pm

Isnt the wrap on the PFK genuine Leather? I personally dont dig it, but I thought it might make you feel better knowing you got some quality there.

swayZtyle

Postby swayZtyle » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:16 pm

yeah, i thought it was genuine leather too Jaques, how odd :eek1:

cybernex

RE:

Postby cybernex » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:41 pm

Thanks moon thats perfect!!!!
"I Belong To The Warrior Whom The Old Ways Have Joined With The New."

Moon

Re: RE:

Postby Moon » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:13 pm

cybernex wrote:Thanks moon thats perfect!!!!

It's been a while dude...this may be of more help. ;)

http://www.nihontoantiques.com/sageo_tying.htm

Return to “DIY & Projects”