Japnese/Greek Shield

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

wtf?

Japnese/Greek Shield

Postby wtf? » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:13 pm

ive just ordered a set of strange blades... roman in appearance, with a japnese handle. their refered too as a 'Japanese Gladius'

i thought on about the mixed idea's, so thought id make a shiled to compliment the greek/roman theme.

ive got a rough design, but i think it looks too greek... although theres no japanese shileds to compare it too.

anyone have any idea's, or suggestions?

God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

OneThing
Location: Asking where I am implies time and space exist, a point I am not willing to concede

Re: Japnese/Greek Shield

Postby OneThing » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:27 pm

wtf? wrote:ive just ordered a set of strange blades... roman in appearance, with a japnese handle. their refered too as a 'Japanese Gladius'

i thought on about the mixed idea's, so thought id make a shiled to compliment the greek/roman theme.

ive got a rough design, but i think it looks too greek... although theres no japanese shileds to compare it too.

anyone have any idea's, or suggestions?

Only Japanese shields i've ever heard of was Tinbei http://www.matayoshi-kobudo.de/Waffen/waffen_timpei.htm or http://www.karate.org.yu/articles/Tinbei.htm

Basically a Turtle shell...Not sure it translate's well to a roman Mix but you'r idea is pretty good. You'll never get it to be Non-Romanise it too much but the idea of basic japanese decoration looks quite nice
Small but growing collection of swords : William Marshall knightly sword, Dark Sentinal, Banshee, Practical Fantasy Katana
Still to come...More Money

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:35 pm

those seem to be more bucklers (i think thats the word)

i really wanted to keep the whole roman/greek idea, so i guess im stuck. lol

im lost for idea's on colur if anyone has idea's for that too.

not that it needs to match, but my Japanese armour is black, with deep blue stitching, and gold edging.

God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

HatchA

Postby HatchA » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:48 am

nice blades man. Kind of akin to yari fashioned into swords. What are the stat's on them? Materials used etc... price and all that good stuff...?

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:37 pm

get gladiator and troy on dvd and watch them.
loads of footage of most weapons on both films plenty of sheild etc.
take screenshots on youre pc and copy from them...
"Can't kill a man without knowin' for sure you ought too..."

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:40 pm

the sword is a custom piece, and the site i ordered from doesnt have all the info, so im going from memory, of a phone call i placed before ordering.

1084 carbon steel (if memory serves)
Blade Length - 16.0 in. (pictured)
Overall Length - 25.0 in. (pictured)
Handle Material - Japanese cord wrap/black ray skin
Sheath - Kydex over wood w/Turks head knots

the one in the pic is rather short, my model has a 13inch handle, and a 24inch blade

the shiled will be mostly fibreglass, never thinner than 1/4inch.
the central oval will be light gauge steel (to mount the brackets on, etc.) but will be covered by fibreglass as the finish is a lot nicer, and easier to control.

the central piece will be 3/4 inch thick, thinning to 1/2 inch in the same oval pattern, and the tips will be 1/4 inch thick.

on the reverse side of the shiled (although not pictured) im going to use 6 light gauge steel strenghing strips. running from the oval section to the tip, and base. also at the positions....
10 'o'clock.
2 'o'clock
4 'o'clock
and 8 'o' clock

this will also be under fibreglass. and hopefully made from spring steel.

the edge will be covered in 2 layers of some thin aluminium i have, and (again) built into the shield structure with more fibreglass.

the aluminium should strenghen the edge enough to take quite a beating... my other option was to edge the whole thing with steel cable. (again, built into the main structure)

i think thats all the info i can give... thought feel free to ask more, or make suggestions. all idea's welcome.

God i LOVE these things.

HatchA

Postby HatchA » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:17 pm

Sounds like that shield is gonna be a fairly meaty piece of work!!!

Any idea of the approximate end resulting weight?

Also, step by step pics as you go would be a VERY welcome thing!!!

The very best of luck with your project, man. Keep us posted!!!

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:16 pm

For sheild colour schem how about deep blue for the edging laqure black fer the main part a deep blue again fer the boss/oval and gold or red fer the lettering.
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:15 pm

the shield shouldnt weigh as much as you'd imagine... fiberglass is a very light material, and the steel is going to be kept as thin as possible, and only on the places where needed.

taking into account the weight of wood, and the relitive weight of fiberglass... i estimate the shield to be about 30% lighter than any originals. and thats assuming that they didnt use any major metal parts... i believe shileds of that design used some quite weighty materials, and had a lot of metal coverings for protection... using the wooden frame to support the actuall armour.

using the supporting material as the main protective skin, will decrease the weight quite a bit.

i havent got a real weight, because i dont do things like that... but i can tell you that ive made a solid state japanese breastplate with the same materials, and almost the same thickness, and it doesnt weigh much at all. i guess that the shield will have enough weight to ram, and to let the arm know its there... but should be easily carryable (if thats a word) without much undue stress.

as for pics, i dont have a digicam any more.... but i'll try and borrow one for such a strange idea.

if time and materials allow, i'll see about setting up a frame... so i can display the armour, with the shiled, and roman katana. full battle dress, if you will.

For sheild colour schem how about deep blue for the edging laqure black fer the main part a deep blue again fer the boss/oval and gold or red fer the lettering.

i was thinking almost the same thing, actually.... the main area in matt black, with the central oval in deep blue. the gold writing would act as a 'light source' lighting up the pitch black night, too a midnight blue. after the blue extended from the central oval, it would gradually shade into black... showing the light dying out.

give it a theme, reather than just a colour scheme.

as for the edges... im not sure... i guess that depends on wether i use aluminium edging, or steel cable.

God i LOVE these things.

darksun_uk
Mod

Postby darksun_uk » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:58 pm

if i was making a shield i would be tempted to buy some ex army level IIA kevlar body armour (via ebay) and layer that in with the fibreglass just for the bragging rights 8) two layers of the kevlar that forms the vests should stop a 9mm pistol round easily which is nice (H)

the japanese gladius looks cool and the shield idea is nice good luck with it.

kind regards

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:03 pm

kevlar doesnt work if layered like that... the armour your talking about use's many loose layers, which slow down the round, while not allowing it to penitrate.

when solidified with resin, it would loose most of its resistant qualitys.... also, kevlar body armour, capable of stopping any round, is easily penitrated by blades. theres a HUGE difference between knife protection, and bullet protection.

its used in knife armour, as protection against slashes, not for its ability to stop a blade from penitrating.

3/4 inch of fibreglass, with a steel 'boss' should be ample to stop anything bladed.

thanks for the input, though.

God i LOVE these things.

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:14 pm

and heres a rough sizing for everyone of the actuall sword ordered.

God i LOVE these things.

darksun_uk
Mod

Postby darksun_uk » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:18 pm

wtf? wrote:
when solidified with resin, it would loose most of its resistant qualitys.... .

encapsulate the kevlar loose by isolating it in a void between layers of fibreglass using something that would prevent the resin bonding to it (aluminium foil or thin sheet like in a beer can) with a mm or 2 of free space in the "void" thus allowing the kevlar fibres to absorb the bullet impact as if it was being worn in a normal fashion, just thinking out loud here by the way..sound plausible ? thus you would have the stabbing protection of the fiberglass and some ballistic protection as well how much would depend on the idea being broadly sound. or just place the kevlar on the back of the shield fixed round the edge maybe.

kind regards

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:27 pm

being resin, and fibreglass... the void, when hit by anything, would compress down onto the kevlar, meaning it would basicly become solid. and to make it bulletproof would take about 10mm worth of kevlar (at the quality its avalible to me, anyway)... thinning it massively, and greatly reducing the overall effectiveness of the shield.

the police bullet shields are pure steel i think, and thats what they 'recomend' as a safe thing to hide behind. nothing i could make that would be bulletproof, and blade proof would be portable.

plus its not like im going to encounter bullets... or blades for that matter. im really just making it usable for the sake of reality, within my 'weapon' room.

God i LOVE these things.

Jaques

Postby Jaques » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:28 pm

wtf? wrote:not that it needs to match, but my Japanese armour is black, with deep blue stitching, and gold edging.

I recon the centre bit with the kanji should remain as it is, white with black kanji symbols, the bulk of the sheild should be deep blue with a gold trim around the sheild. Deep blue + gold trim sounds real nice.

Return to “DIY & Projects”