Leather Helm

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Blackbird

Leather Helm

Postby Blackbird » Mon May 08, 2006 1:58 pm

Anybody ever made one? Thing is I cant find a helm I like at anything like a price I can afford so I'm going to make my own and since I frankly suck at working any metal thicker than a mm or so its gonna be leather. Just wondering if anybody round heres tryed it before? Personally I'm thinking something Rohanish with a hint of Norse (basically to match the shield really). Anyways anybody interested in step by step pics when I get started?
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Mon May 08, 2006 2:01 pm

id personally suggest making a fiberglass frame to work off of. its a simple task involving no special materials (just a car body repair kit) and if gives you frame.

if you made it thick enough, you could easily shape metals over it. and for leather, it will certainly help with fixing minor problems that arrise, and getting everything cut to the correct size.
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

darksun_uk
Mod

Postby darksun_uk » Mon May 08, 2006 3:59 pm

wet leather formed over a mold (similar to sheath making i belive) seems like one way to go about it im ust thinking out loud on that point though,the fibre glass idea certainly merits consideration, i would be interested in pics etc should you start work on this project at some point.

kind regards

stYx

Postby stYx » Mon May 08, 2006 4:44 pm

Step by Step pics would be very interesting if you can do so!! :)

Thanks and Good Luck!!! 8)
ImageImage

Kamui

Postby Kamui » Mon May 08, 2006 7:25 pm

pics would be awesome BB, would be very interesting to see how you make it
Banzai Joe wrote:Thats weird. Stared down at my penis at it looked like a trombone!!!! :|

Hatamoto wrote:Shoulda made the Titanic out of biscuits. At least things would have stayed level, more people could have gotten out :p

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Tue May 09, 2006 10:13 am

Will do, I've got a couple of patterens with full instructions ready to go but I want to make a start on the scabbard first.

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

koga

Postby koga » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:36 am

just a thought and u can call me stupid but doesnt boiling leather make it stronger? if it does and after uve made a few y not try boiling one and see what happens?

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:59 am

Yea boiling veg tan leather can make it tougher but TBH I never got round to finishing this one, the leather I had was a pain in the ass its just about good enough to make a pair of vambraces out of but thats it :S

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Return to “DIY & Projects”