new sword soon to be new sai sword

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

darksun_uk
Mod

new sword soon to be new sai sword

Postby darksun_uk » Tue May 09, 2006 5:23 pm

got my sword today via UPS from china, folded carbon steel blade with bo-hi (groove) very little sori (curve) as requested and at 16" from tip to bottom of habaki (blade collar) the exact length i specified so overall i am happy with it the hamon and hada is not great but the hada is visable and quite nice with the pattern still visable in the tang area of the blade the hamon seems like it could be a purely polished effect but i really dont care as it is quite subtle looking anyway but overall the geometry and finish is good and sharpness is top notch, considering i only bought it for the blade and saya(i really just wanted a nice looking relativley straight blade with bo-hi for a nice looking sai sword), for the money (approx £150) i am pleased,it came mounted up with a black two ring tsuba and black tsuka ito etc double pegged and a secure fit before i took it apart

the black laquered saya is really quite nice and fits the blade very well etc

the blade will be mounted up with a sai guard i have been saving for this specific project and hopefully the grinding and fitting part will be done in a week or so.

i put a 5 pence coin in a few pics for scale purposes.

i have done some videos and i am sorting them out now

this vid shows me testing the edge by cutting paper, very sharp sword (as can be seen)and very even level of sharpness along the entire blade.

me flipping a wakisai sword (please excuse my dirty clothes etc i have been in the shed all day cleaning and working etc 8) ) but i thought what the hell i have been promising a flip vid so why not do it now lol...

static body position and no real guard positions (with the sword) but the flips are good, i will post more if anyone really wants any.

kind regards

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Tue May 09, 2006 6:00 pm

Nice v nice cant wait to see the finished product.
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

HatchA

Postby HatchA » Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 pm

sweet!!!

*resists urge to get wallet out*

darkhobo

Postby darkhobo » Wed May 10, 2006 4:18 am

looks really nice.
that flipping was pretty cool, you are a confident man to flip that around :D
Mos wrote:Americans :roll:

Mos wrote:ill say it again Americans

Simoriax wrote:well what do you know, i love americans! :)

BlackRonin

Postby BlackRonin » Wed May 10, 2006 4:59 am

my thaughts exactly 1 false move and youll be needing to forge yourself some new fingers :D

cudos though and i await the double sai bladed vid
9ShakuMako wrote: wrote:I had a big black one but over-polished it.

Wraith wrote: wrote:"Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6"

The larnster wrote: wrote:"you simply can not Polish a turd ad expect it to shine"

stYx

Postby stYx » Wed May 10, 2006 8:50 am

Very kewl, and agreed on the confidence comments! :???:
Last edited by stYx on Wed May 10, 2006 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Wed May 10, 2006 9:20 am

dk... you are one talented mofo dude. :D :???:
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri May 12, 2006 2:45 pm

Banzai Joe wrote:dk... you are one talented mofo dude. :D :???:

Can't argue with that.......dammit. :D

Nice looking blade and good vids DS.

Praise from me is praise indeed. ;)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Sat May 13, 2006 3:23 am

Looks mighty damn cool dude (H)
Pimp or die baby!

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:47 pm

Awesome idea to put on a sai handle :) The moves are cool, luckily basic and relatively simple, right? Never tried it with a sharp sword, but can do it safely enough with a sai, matter of practice, I spose.

Nice job, with both :)
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:55 pm

Here here. I'm quite comfortable flipping a pair of sais, but I'd be a bit nervous with that beasty. :| Tis a very nice looking piece of work.

darksun_uk
Mod

Postby darksun_uk » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:16 am

Hatamoto wrote: The moves are cool, luckily basic and relatively simple, right?

yeah the moves are just some basic flips from a static body position with only two/three guard positions included,very basic stuff with a sharp sai sword though i did included a full spin towards the end of the clip just for the sake of it lol...

Hatamoto wrote:Never tried it with a sharp sword, but can do it safely enough with a sai, matter of practice, I spose.

Nice job, with both :)

practice yeah, i went with around 1000 hours with sai then around 200-300 with a blunt sai sword over about 1 year total before i made a sharp version.

thankyou all for the kind comments, i will be posting more in this thread when i can get into the shed for a few days to actually get round to making the sword up from the bits i have lol, it just to damm hot now.

kind regards

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:27 am

Ha, damn hot doesn't cover it :s My room is like that scene in Total Recall where the fan gets shut down, and all the martians are just lounging around the place, barely breathing. That's my room. Minus women with three boobs.. That'd be cool...

Back on topic, though! Keep us posted, can't wait to see more :) If you could take some pics of it in process as well, I'd love to see how you manage to put it all together, and stuff :) Would appreciate a bit of that if you could :)
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Gorilla Warfairy

Postby Gorilla Warfairy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:27 pm

Hata, you might want to have a look at the thread for the original set of sais, there's some pics of the handle construction in it. clicky

stYx

Postby stYx » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:37 pm

Gorilla Warfairy wrote:Hata, you might want to have a look at the thread for the original set of sais, there's some pics of the handle construction in it. clicky

Ta for the linky GW! Some fantastic work their DS! Fantastic!

And i concur with Hata regarding the heat, just a shame about the lack of 3 breasted women! ;)
ImageImage

Return to “DIY & Projects”