Step by step guide to making a carved scabbard

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Blackbird

Step by step guide to making a carved scabbard

Postby Blackbird » Tue May 23, 2006 2:45 pm

1 cut your plank slightly longer than the blade of your sword and cut another plank to the same length make sure that the planks will fit on to of each other flat with no gaps
2 shape to top of the planks so the match the top of the blade where it meets the cross guard, if you have a handmade sword this may not nessisarily be symetrical. To get rid of any wood you dont need I suggest cutting the bulk off with a saw then fileing the rest to shape particularly if its curved
3 place your sword down on the plank and draw around the blade carefully repet on the other plank.
4 Chisel or if you have one use a router to get rid of the wood within the lines youve make keeping the cross section of the blade in mind your going to need to take more from the middle than the edges, you can also use a dremmel for this but that would take a bloody long time. If your adding a lineing material ( felt ,velvet, cut down fleece) then add a few mms to what you take away
5 sand the interior down
6Clamp or tape your 2 planks together and try your sword in there if its to tight then you need to remove some wood if its loose and your not adding a liner then you could add some shims (thin pieces of wood e.g venner) to the mouth of the scabbard. The scabbard should hold the sword if it gets turned upsidedown but should still be easy to draw the sword from
7 If your happy with the fit then add your liner if your doing so and leave the glue to dry completly otherwise you end up with moisture in the scabbard. If your not adding a line boiled linseed oil is a good idea to rub into the internal cavaty but not along the edges that are to be glued.
8 figure out how thick you want the scabbard to be and mark a line around the wood youve removed so you know where to cut. In a leather covered scabbard the wood would be quite thick but since this is a carved scabbard you need to take into account the fact that the scabbard needs to be strong even after youve carved into it but of course it shouldnt be to heavy.
9 Remove the wood you dont want, dont worry about getting the 2 halves exactly the same as long as the internal cavitys are lined up the outside can be fixed in the shapeing
10 Apply glue to the edges but dont go overboard use just enough, then clamp the halfs together. Clamps really are better to use for this tape just doesnt get the same pressure. Leave to dry for at least 24 hours or more depending on the glue (epoxy and wood glue are both good)
11 mark on the top of the scabbard the shape that you want, dont forget to continue the taper the whole way down, if you need to now is the time to get the 2 halfs to match completly
if you have then use a wood plane and or a spokeshave for this if you dont then sanding is an option but it takes longer
12 if you used a plane then sand the scabbard down so the tooling marks dont show

Part 1 is over with next up comes the carving :D
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

Postby 2841981 » Tue May 23, 2006 5:47 pm

very interesting

nath/2841981

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

ive found that having the halves offset helps a lot. not 2 equal parts....

stops the cutting edge attacking the join. im pretty sure the same idea as above could be swapped over to the european design.
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Tue May 23, 2006 7:37 pm

I can see why that helps in a single edged sword but with most Euro swords youve got 2 edges to keep in mind but to be honest if someone wanted to do it like that then I wouldnt say it was wrong.

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

HatchA

Postby HatchA » Thu May 25, 2006 9:19 am

Very cool info BB!! great to see a step by step guide.

I've kinda decided on making my own scabbard for my Miller so this will come in very handy :)

Interested in what carving you'll do :)

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:50 am

very cool indeed, looking forward to the next bit too (H)
Pimp or die baby!

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:53 am

Nearly finished actually :D would be finished by the end of next week but we'll see how repairing hams sayo goes.

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:02 pm

:oops: Didn't think it'd be getting in the way of other projects, BB, sorry :$
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:08 am

lol mate dont worry about it, them thats paying gets priority. Besides I can work on my scabbard when the laqure on yers is drying.

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:09 pm

Blackbird wrote:lol mate dont worry about it, them thats paying gets priority. Besides I can work on my scabbard when the laqure on yers is drying.
I'll have five quids worth please :twisted: (H)
Pimp or die baby!

Angelus

Postby Angelus » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:11 pm

Larny Boy wrote:
Blackbird wrote:lol mate dont worry about it, them thats paying gets priority. Besides I can work on my scabbard when the laqure on yers is drying.

:???: :???: :???:

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:49 pm

Larny Boy wrote:

Yep shoulda known that was coming :roll: :D

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:44 am

Danka :D

Here are a few pics of the finished item

Please note I'm wearing really baggy jeans, my ass may be economy size but it sure as hell aint that big.

If anybody really wants to know how to carve knotwork I'll do a step by step fer it to.
Last edited by Blackbird on Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:46 am

Oh very very nice indeed :wink:
Pimp or die baby!

Angelus

Postby Angelus » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:47 am

Aye very tasty. Nice scabbard too ;) (K)

Return to “DIY & Projects”