Chainmaille (56k warning, kind of big pictures)

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

cabbagedude

Chainmaille (56k warning, kind of big pictures)

Postby cabbagedude » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:04 pm

Since I've been gone I've drifted away from swords and the likes and more towards armour, specifically chainmaille.

So far I've made a coif, quite a few bits of jewellry, most of which I've sold and I've started on a hauberk.

Image Image

The coif is simple european 4 in 1 weave starting from an expanding circle, I also added a bishops mantle onto it. Somehow I managed to get a kind of ridge around where the expanding circle ends and turns into a plain sheet, I don't know how it got there, but I quite like it, so I'm leaving it.

Of the necklaces; the top one is a half-persian 3 in 1 weave, the second one down is a full persian weave, and the bottom one is a byzantine weave.

At the moment I'm mainly working on the hauberk but still making occasional necklaces and bracelets, the hauberk's going to take a really long time though, mainly because I'm making it to fit me and I'm pretty big.

If I get bored of making simple big sheets for the hauberk I'll probably try making a pair of gauntlets, seeing as they're both intricate and cool. :D

Anyway, that's the extent of my mailling so far.
(H)

Would like to see a couple of pictures of your coifs blackbird, to see what other peoples look like. :>

Cartoon made by me :D

Kamui

Postby Kamui » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:23 pm

Dude that is so freaking awesome!!
Its proper amazing!
Banzai Joe wrote:Thats weird. Stared down at my penis at it looked like a trombone!!!! :|

Hatamoto wrote:Shoulda made the Titanic out of biscuits. At least things would have stayed level, more people could have gotten out :p

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:19 pm

Very nice, mate, proper talent, that :)
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

darksun_uk
Mod

Postby darksun_uk » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:32 pm

really nice work, easily up to the standard of the maille on my helm and gloves (both semi custom items form overseas smiths)

would love to see pics of the hauberk when finished 8)

i know it will take a while though (K)

kind regards

sprout

Postby sprout » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:26 am

that byzantine weave is amazing. great stuff!
wtf? wrote:like looking for mensa candidates in a jerry springer trailor park

don't click this link...

Moon

Postby Moon » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:51 am

'Dude,
I'm really impressed and that ain't easily done.
Great work,keep it coming m8.
How's about a little tutorial for beginners,maybe just a dog collar or summat ???
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:19 am

its really not my thing.... but i gotta apreciate good quality work when i see it. nicely done.
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

darkhobo

Postby darkhobo » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:14 am

looks amazing, i was thinking about trying to make some of my own. a tutorial would be awsome
Mos wrote:Americans :roll:

Mos wrote:ill say it again Americans

Simoriax wrote:well what do you know, i love americans! :)

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:08 am

Very very nice work mate love the fancy weaves :D Honestly I've only just started on my 2/3rd attempt at making a coif fer ages I couldnt get the hang of making the mail lay properly and last time I tryed I only had enough links fer a skullcap and I ended up giving that to me neice 8)
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

cabbagedude

Postby cabbagedude » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:41 am

Thanks for all the kind words. :>

Instead of me writing a tutorial, the best thing to do would be to go on this site:
http://derakon.chainmailstore.com/inst.html
(should be ok, as they're not selling anything)

I found it really useful when I was starting out, as it has clear instructions on all the different weaves, both for jewellry and for armour.

Cartoon made by me :D

Attila

Postby Attila » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:37 pm

That's some excellent work, very impressed, takes a great deal of patience to create such work, very well done indeed.

The link you've supplied goes to an interesting site, would you mind me adding this link to my Battle Re-Enactment & Medieval Lifestyles forum?

We are very new & subsequently are in need of interesting additions, we have a garbe creation sub-forum, this would go very well as our first item there.

All the best,

Attila.

*before anyone panics, we don't sell anything, and for the mod's, check out the Neighbouring Towns sub-forum, this gaff's there(link in sig')!
Blades-UK is also advertised on my personal website under my favourite sites, you can check it out HERE
A womans place is in the kitchen not beatting the crap outta me

Return to “DIY & Projects”