Arming Cap, Chainmail and Helm.

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Blackbird

Arming Cap, Chainmail and Helm.

Postby Blackbird » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:24 pm

Okay I didnt make the helm itself but I'm gonna be customising the hell outta it over the next few weeks. First up the arming cap

And so sexay it is to :roll: 8) Its 2 layers of linnen stuffed with cotton batting and then stiched all over to stop the batting moving around my one also has a roll at the back of the back to provide more protection to the neck.

Next up chainmail without arming cap

Just about 99% copper rings which werent cheep with the price of copper lately, the only non copper bits are 2 brass links which were in one of the bags of copper by mistake so I used then as embeleshments on that little tassle on the forehead and to keep the Norse pendant on the front. Took me about 2 weeks to do.

Chainmail with arming cap

Now I understand why all those knights effigys look so swolen in the head area. ( leave it 8) ) You can hear just about eff all like this, have no idea how knights got orders in battle.

Last up arming cap plus chainmail plus helm

You can see it needs some work around the eyes if nothing else, I'm also thinking of putting a horsetail plume on top instead of the knob or maybe a boar not sure yet and some brass or copper embeleshments ethier in the pannels or the straps but not both that would be to overdone.
And from the side

And last but not least the damage chainmail will do to your forehead

Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

stYx

Postby stYx » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:30 pm

Holy sh*t that looks ace BB! What exactly are you going to be doing with it?
ImageImage

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:36 pm

You mean the helm or the set up in gen?

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

HatchA

Postby HatchA » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:36 pm

Very nice BB :)

a lot of hard work there.... can't wait to see the customised helm :)

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:54 pm

Cheers :D I need a firm Ied in my head before I start but I'm thinking more copper than brass maybe summat rohan ish just to keep to the theme I've got going but I'm not sure.

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

DrunkDwarf

Postby DrunkDwarf » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:54 pm

Ive always wondered... without the arming cap.. wouldn't the chainmail wreak havoc on your hair when trying to take it off? It getting caught in amongst the links and such...
Si vis Pacem, Para bellum...

Hanzo hatori

Postby Hanzo hatori » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:44 pm

looking good Beebs. Keep it up lass

stYx

Postby stYx » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:50 pm

Blackbird wrote:You mean the helm or the set up in gen?

all, both, EVERYTHING! :)
ImageImage

Moon

Postby Moon » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:10 pm

Very nice work as always BB.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

darksun_uk
Mod

Postby darksun_uk » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:54 pm

great stuff, i look forward to more. 8)

kind regards

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:21 am

DrunkDwarf wrote:Ive always wondered... without the arming cap.. wouldn't the chainmail wreak havoc on your hair when trying to take it off? It getting caught in amongst the links and such...

You would think so but not on me and I've got really long hair, maybe if your hair was a bit frizzy or a complet mess of knots it might but I think as long as the mail is properly put together without gaps in the links you should be fine.
Danka all BTW :oops:

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Mother Bear

Postby Mother Bear » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:37 am

Wow BB well done! 8) Where do you talents end? :|
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

HatchA

Postby HatchA » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:11 am

Mother Bear wrote:Wow BB well done! 8) Where do you talents end? :|

....must....resist urge..... to say....... "at her nipples.....".........

:| ooops.... looks like I've said it... 8)

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:22 am

I knew we werent gonna get through this thread without at least 1 bit of smut 8)

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:30 am

Blackbird wrote:I knew we werent gonna get through this thread without at least 1 bit of smut 8)

technically its 2 bits... unless theres something we all need to know about... but i see your point.

nice work, as well.
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Return to “DIY & Projects”