DIY Scabbards

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Mother Bear

DIY Scabbards

Postby Mother Bear » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:48 pm

Has anyone here custom make their own leather scabard? BB I think I remember that you have done something along those lines. Is it a hard project?
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:54 pm

Are we talking just a leather scabbard or a wooden cored one? Ethier way its all in the stiching I would say small and used 2 needles with 2 threadsand keep the excess leather after the seam to a minimum and if its a wooden cored scabbard carve a grove fer the seam to sit in so it doesnt stand proud after the water shrinking has finished.
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:47 am

I'm toying with the idea of getting a plain heavy leather scabbard for my CK Viking sword. hmm any ideas beeb?
Pimp or die baby!

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:39 am

Get veg tan leather not the chrome tanned stuff and if its heavy leather get yerself a good carpet cutter style knife and a metal ruler to kep with the cutting.Buy good quality linnen or cotton thread cos the cheep ass stuff will prob break on you halfway up and look terrible and your gonna need to buy an awl to punch the sewing holes through the leather.

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:10 pm

Do you think you could knock one together beeb? If so I'll sling some design ideas your way (H)
Pimp or die baby!

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:37 pm

Hmm yea but Ied have to ask ya to pay fer the leather since the good thick veg tan stuff aint that cheep.

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:47 pm

oh of course, no worries there. Bounce some ideas off me if you would please (and just wait for the filthy comments lol)
Pimp or die baby!

HatchA

Postby HatchA » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:21 pm

Blackbird wrote:Hmm yea but Ied have to ask ya to pay fer the leather since the good thick veg tan stuff aint that cheep.

Was going to ask you where would a soul get some of that fine material....?

and bear in mind... I will not use scam-bay.

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:48 pm

Fairy muff
http://www.leprevo.co.uk/
Damn just looked at the other place that does materials of a traditional nature and I remembered that they do blades as well.
Larn, pics of the viking sword pour fa vour :D But I'm thinking fairly simple with ethier a snaking rune strip like on that rune knife of mine or a Norse style dragon for the trip I'm think the plain veg tan then the runes coloured with ocher (nice natural deep red) fer the dragon have the dragon a lighter colour and the backround darker but I'll be happy if you want to do summat else.

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:01 pm

Oh yes, thick veg tan leather with heavy stitching and runes would look good. Must be wearable too please. Hmm sounds like a plan is forming nicely here
Pimp or die baby!

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:18 pm

Hmm wearables easy just needs a bit at the back to pass a belt through, guess what I found on that site though, whole cow hides with the hair still on :D :???: How good is that. I'll take a scrabble around see if I can find nice thick gauge leather a bit cheeper though might ask our friend in the west if he knows anywhere.

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

HatchA

Postby HatchA » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:30 am

Blackbird wrote: guess what I found on that site though, whole cow hides with the hair still on :D :???: How good is that.

youhave GOT to send me that link!!! :D

I do believe you have my msn addy.....? (H)

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:23 am

HatchA wrote:
Blackbird wrote: guess what I found on that site though, whole cow hides with the hair still on :D :???: How good is that.

youhave GOT to send me that link!!! :D

I do believe you have my msn addy.....? (H)
I think she means this one dude, Moooooooooooooooooooo http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/hairon_cow.html
Pimp or die baby!

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:51 am

Yep :D kicks a sheepskin rugs ass anyday :???:

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Mother Bear

Postby Mother Bear » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:38 pm

Maybe if and when I can get money together I might employ your good talents BB! 8)
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

Return to “DIY & Projects”