Knife sheath

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Adurul

Postby Adurul » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:03 pm

Nice work. The quality looks excellent.

Not keen on the design cos it just reminds me of all the crappy tribal tattoos i keep seeing, but the workmanship looks excellent.
"Simple as i can, i'll tell you, the difference, between a pencil and a pen"

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:39 pm

Adurul wrote:Not keen on the design cos it just reminds me of all the crappy tribal tattoos i keep seeing

Like mine you mean? :cry:

Ogami Itto

Postby Ogami Itto » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:45 pm

Thanks guys :)

wtf? wrote:Ogami.... could you make sheaths for existing blades? reason being.... i cant!

would be nice to have someone on hand that could do some nice work with leather. cus at the moment, im stuck with kydex, G10, wood, and other random thermoplastics!

or would you consider teaching (for a fee, of course) basic leatherwork? (or if possible, leatherwork to the same standard as yours? time permitting)

outsourcing sheath work, or learning myself would help me immencely.... lemmie know.

I have not yet worked with those materials you named, seems fun.

Her are some pointers as to make a sheath.

The sheaths are made of 3 layers of tooling leather, top, between ( witch has the shape of the knife, i take 1cm of leather strip for that ) and bottom. I glue them together with bison-tix. After that i use a beltgrinder to level the sides. U need some leathercraft tools. A saddlemakers groover a overstitcher and a sewing-awl with awl thread.

I use a drill to make the hols for the thread, it helps to get the holes strait and even. The design i like i transferred to a transparent sheath of plastic. I then use it to transfer the design upon the tooling leather surface with the use of a pen or some other pointy instrument. i go over the leather with a damp cloth this will make the leather softer and easier to imprint.

**[knife manufactuers at those links i think...i'll have a quick look and add back the ones that are ok, OneThing] **

On the http://www.tandyleather.com/ site u can choose from a wide range of tools to help you create your design. OK... OT

[Fraid the other all contain knife's for sale or maufacturers links...Custom pieces are a no go as well. Feel Free to copy and paste all the info and pix if you like (K)]

Sorry for the inconvenience :oops:
Last edited by Ogami Itto on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:09 am

Ogami Itto wrote:information

cheers man... ive always thought that would be the way... im assuming that the trickest part is free-handing certain designs. for the transparent plasic... im assuming projector films would work well.

would you groove the stitching line as well? to recess the thread into the leather itself? or would you leave it proud?... or alternatively.... doesnt it matter?

if i came across something that i needed sheathed.. would you be able to accomodate? reason being, i have a few that need possible leather sheaths. the customers are umm-ing and ahh-ing over plastics vs leather, so im not sure yet.
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Ogami Itto

Postby Ogami Itto » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:17 pm

wtf? wrote:
Ogami Itto wrote:information

would you groove the stitching line as well? to recess the thread into the leather itself? or would you leave it proud?... or alternatively.... doesnt it matter?

Its easier to groove then u can follow it with a overstitcher.

if i came across something that i needed sheathed.. would you be able to accomodate? reason being, i have a few that need possible leather sheaths. the customers are umm-ing and ahh-ing over plastics vs leather, so im not sure yet.

I would be happy to be of service, send me a email. :)

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:54 pm

will do... have to wait for the requests before i can start making arrangements. but now i know you could do some work, i can add you to my lil list of contacts.

God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Adurul

Postby Adurul » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:31 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:
Adurul wrote:Not keen on the design cos it just reminds me of all the crappy tribal tattoos i keep seeing

Like mine you mean? :cry:

Lol, i dont know! Didnt even know you had one.

I just cant see the relevance of Tribal Tattoos and i personally thinkg they are more of a fashion statement than a meaningful piece of body art (im quite philosophical about tattoos). No disrespect dude i just dont like em or understand em.

Anyway, back OT.
"Simple as i can, i'll tell you, the difference, between a pencil and a pen"

cybernex

RE:

Postby cybernex » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:39 am

Jeasus, That is a nice peice of work.
It just gose to show if you want somthing done well, you've just gotta go to the right people (or do it yourself and become good at it)
"I Belong To The Warrior Whom The Old Ways Have Joined With The New."

Return to “DIY & Projects”