Bowie Project

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

skippydm

Bowie Project

Postby skippydm » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:57 pm

My Bowie Project, thought i would share it on here,

So far i have shaped one bolster plus done the file work down the tang. reason only one is done is cos i wanted to do the file work :>

The Tools
My baby vice can rotate 360 degrees, and is perfect for what i need. i toped it up to stop it scratching everything

my files, one is now dead unfortunately it snapped and just missed my head...

ImageImage
i did quite a bit more work after these were taken. literally a hell of a lot ones fully shaped just needs cleaning up.

the blade is Aus8 steel heat treated to 59rc
ImageImage
got cocobolo scales and black fibre spacing material.

thats the summary of whats been done so far,

and today
skippydm wrote:My fingers are soooo sore its crazy, i got virtually all the filework done (just a tiny little bit that i am going to do once the bolster is shaped)

theres a few pictures of it, i did a little more shaping after the pictures were taken... btw hope you like them cos it was Fecking hard to take any sort of decent photo :P

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

what i would say is the best picture I could get 8)

i am going to try take it up to a mirror finish on tang to show it off properly 8)

yes i know you can see my legs in the pictures, i was still in my shorts when i did the filework this morning :D

skippydm

Re: Bowie Project

Postby skippydm » Mon May 26, 2008 2:08 pm

Holy sh1t has been a while :>

well this wasnt touched since when i last posted - till friday that is, when i had a bit of time on my hands and no more studying so i got my self working

well this is the knife now (taken last night)

And taken today, after being buffed to a mirror finish

Not the best pics, it looks more like the ones after the soak

not bad for a weekends work :twisted:

simonatack

Postby simonatack » Tue May 27, 2008 5:03 am

One weekends work? Not bad? That looks damn fantastic work Skip. Would you sell it, or is this purely for your own enjoyment? Do you make scabbards as well, for your knives? God bless you hands mate. I once thought this was a dying skill and craft but you've got a genuine talent here! Thanks for posting and showing your workmanship mate!

skippydm

Postby skippydm » Tue May 27, 2008 9:26 am

this ones purely for me since its my first, got a few ideas in the pipeline might sell them to feed the habit :>

simonatack

Postby simonatack » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:07 am

Well, as first attempts go I don't blame you for keeping it Skip! I'd be well proud to have made that bowie on my first try!

Return to “DIY & Projects”