A little help sharpening

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

ConnorBrookman

A little help sharpening

Postby ConnorBrookman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:49 pm

Hey guys im new on this forum so forgive me if i do something wrong without realising.

I just bought an autumn bamboo folded katana and was wondering if there was any way to sharpen it. Would anyone recommend a sharpening kit on Blades uk that i could possibly buy?

Any help or advice would be appericiated because i have no idea how to even begin to sharpen a sword

Thank you very much :)

Geordie Ross

Re: A little help sharpening

Postby Geordie Ross » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:13 pm

I own that blade an it IS sharp but if you feel you want it sharper I'd recommend either the lanskey sharpening kit or what I believe to be the easiest sharpening kit on earth, it's called
Accusharp google it,
Hope that helps? But honestly the autumn bamboo is as sharp as it is required, cutting shiz up
Ps the lansky is a top top piece of kit and with a bit of skill you could make a spoon a razor whereas the accusharp has only one function but it does it well
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

crwydryny

Postby crwydryny » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:43 pm

if you have no experience with sharpening swords and knives I suggest that you don't and you find someone who does. I've seen many a blade ruined by inexperienced people sharpening them such as using high speed grinding stones resulting in over heating the blade and ruining the temper (nothing worse than seeing a knife crack or break in use) sharpening at the wrong angle resulting in slowly bluntening the blade and worse of all sharpening at too small an angle and resulting in chips and bending of the blade (the number of times I've had to compleatly regrind an edge on a knife or even completly repair a blade on a forge because of someone not knowing how to sharpen a blade trying it)

I'm the baine of my local army surplus store because every time I buy a new knife either for work/camping or for my collection I go over every inch of it, if the handle the right shape/size, it it handle heavy or blade heavy, what material is it made from, what grind profile is the blade and so forth.
death is more universal than life
everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Miageta saki he to
Aruki daseru hazu
Dokomademo yukeru
Jibun naku sa nai nara

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:32 pm

Honest the accusharp is sooooo simple to use you can't go wrong google it and check out a video on how to use ;)

Moon

Postby Moon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:39 pm

crwydryny wrote:if you have no experience with sharpening swords and knives I suggest that you don't and you find someone who does......

I agree, a quality ceramic rod is good for keeping an edge on a sword but sharpening is best left to those who know what they're doing.
BTW
What part of South Wales are you from?
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:32 am

Here's a link to the accusharp tool I mentioned, its incredibly simple and effective
mod edit to >> http://www.accusharp.com/
Ps common sense and safety is must, if sharpening a sword I recommend attaching it to a workbench to use

Return to “DIY & Projects”