Small Blade i've made

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Lakura

Small Blade i've made

Postby Lakura » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi Guys,

New member to the forum but a long time stalker of the site!

This is a small little (eating?) knife i made in the forge a few weeks ago (been doing forge work 4 times a month of so for about 3 months), planning on making more and to see what sort of changes i can make to it.

The handle is a bit small on this one as i didn't intend for it to be like this to begin with but the more i worked on it the more i changed my mind until eventually i did as you see!
I made it from an old file that my boss had decided to throw away, as a result it's given it an almost chameleon effect on the sides (which you can also strike matches off!)

This is it after Tempering and Hardening;

Any ideas on what improvements i could make to the design?

Like i said i haven't been doing forge work for very long.

the blade master

Re: Small Blade i've made

Postby the blade master » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:21 pm

the only idea i can give is keep trying the more you do the better it gets nice going so far tho
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:31 pm

Nice, if you've got the facilities to work steel, you could try anything! You could try polishing your eating knife, (table knife)? When you can polish steel to a decent standard you can start making swords and knifes.
I want a workshop with a smelter and forge :|
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

gooseman

Postby gooseman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:34 am

Lakura
NICE!!!!!!!!!! it's just the sort of blade you want to start with ! Files are great starter blades because they will harden and hold an edge like crazy !
try another one , sometimes the steel will work easy like nothing other times you work hard to get something from the steel, but in all cases you learn to "work" with it and soon you'd be amazed at what pops up in da forge !!!!!!!!!

been there
done that
da gooseman

Lakura

Postby Lakura » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:05 am

Geordie Ross wrote:Nice, if you've got the facilities to work steel, you could try anything! You could try polishing your eating knife, (table knife)? When you can polish steel to a decent standard you can start making swords and knifes.
I want a workshop with a smelter and forge :|

I Actually kept the black from the oil intentionally :)

gooseman wrote:Lakura
NICE!!!!!!!!!! it's just the sort of blade you want to start with ! Files are great starter blades because they will harden and hold an edge like crazy !
try another one , sometimes the steel will work easy like nothing other times you work hard to get something from the steel, but in all cases you learn to "work" with it and soon you'd be amazed at what pops up in da forge !!!!!!!!!

been there
done that
da gooseman

I've notice that it does indeed hold an edge like crazy! also makes for a good throwing knife.

I'm currently working on a dagger made from some high carbon steel (Not sure what grade but it's a bugger to work with!) so ill post some pics once it's mostly formed :)

gooseman

Postby gooseman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:28 am

gentlemen
a buddy a glass blower, made a stainless blade, with a GLASS handle !!!!! never seen one before or since!!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
da gooseman

Lakura

Postby Lakura » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:12 am

gooseman wrote:gentlemen
a buddy a glass blower, made a stainless blade, with a GLASS handle !!!!! never seen one before or since!!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
da gooseman

now that's a beauty! The place where i do my work has some glass blowers, might be worth seeing if they want to give it a try :)

Return to “DIY & Projects”