Double cross chinese sword

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

pjm

Double cross chinese sword

Postby pjm » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:52 pm

its not this sword but the same idea, i will get a pic of it tomorrow and the very messy blades from being over oiled and stored for way to long (6 or 7 years) without any maintenance what so ever. i dont care about the damage nor the sword for that matter as it was a freebie gift from a friend years ago so is perfect for a project and a good base for me to learn what works what dont without knackering any good swords in the process

first thing will be to sort out the blades which is going to take a lot of work to do as the blades have very bad staining so a far bit of sanding lighting with polishing in between
then onto the handles, it has a bad carving of a dragon so end caps will have to come off and the wood sanded down enough to get the dragon out and smooth

re stained and polished and end caps put back on

should be fun lolol
If i didn't have bad luck i would have no luck at all

Mellony

Re: Double cross chinese sword

Postby Mellony » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:18 am

Spooky, I used to own that exact item (shown in picture) yeeaarrs ago - was a bag of crap lol - I think I bought them hoping they'd be like the wooden ones used in kill bill by the leader of the crazy 88's (I forget its name) - I'm sure yours will be much better - looking forward to seeing your progress :)
Semper cogitatio.

pjm

Postby pjm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:36 am

Mellony wrote:Spooky, I used to own that exact item (shown in picture) yeeaarrs ago - was a bag of crap lol - I think I bought them hoping they'd be like the wooden ones used in kill bill by the leader of the crazy 88's (I forget its name) - I'm sure yours will be much better - looking forward to seeing your progress :)

yea this one aint much better lol and after being stored in a cupboard for years the blade aint looking its best, its not rusty or anything just really stained which just aint shifting at all so a very light sanding down to dull the blade to the point its almost matte and then go from there with the blade, might even go down the route of putting something acidic on the blade to add a patina of some sort, i know youe not ment to put anything with acid on the blade but i think if you work with it it might work, hell i cant make the blade wosre than it is lol

its the sheath that i hate the most lol, will be sanding that back to bare clean wood without taking it down to far, its not a working sword so i dont think it would matter too much, was even thinking of getting those temporary tattoos you get, get japanese ones, or even print out some quotes in japanese and cut them out into templates to run down the sides

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:11 am

paul hi get some meguiares all metal polysh (its spelt that way mell honest)lols
available from amazon or halfords that will shift the crap for sure its what i use
to put a mirror like finish on my blades where needed it works well its not to
exspensive either i can really recommend this stuff belive it or not done properly
it even puts a gloss finish on wood too heres what can be achieved using this polish

forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

pjm

Postby pjm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:25 am

the blade master wrote:paul hi get some meguiares all metal polysh (its spelt that way mell honest)lols
available from amazon or halfords that will shift the crap for sure its what i use
to put a mirror like finish on my blades where needed it works well its not to
exspensive either i can really recommend this stuff belive it or not done properly
it even puts a gloss finish on wood too

oh aye i forgot about that stuff, i was looking at it last night on ebay, i shall have to buy some as it would be good for my kill bill swords, the demon one has light scuff marks on it, came like that but being put through the post iam no surprised so it would be handy to have for future buys

tbh tho with this double sword it really aint worth the time it would take to do so with the blades it would be good to learn on on, iam going to the local sports shop to see if they has any blueing stuff so might even do that with the blades, get some electrical tape and cover the blade with it and cut out a pattern in the tape and blue it

but ill defo give it a shot with the polish

pjm

Postby pjm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:27 am

damn man thats some shine

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:34 am

i just wish i could remember where that post is about blueing that devils head
it would sure help you a lot
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

pjm

Postby pjm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:40 am

lol its alright mate, it would be good but i dont think ill be touching the kill bills at the mo until i learn what iam doing, i have other crap blades i can learn on first

pjm

Postby pjm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:50 am

right polish bought, was going to buy it from the halfords site but damn if it got anyslower it would have been going backwards so gave up and bought it for less on ebay lol

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:33 am

remenber just a little dab on your finger keep polishing in tiny circles you,ll know its working
when the polish turns black i.e. the polish is removing steel in miniscule amounts giving you the
polished surface keep going till you have the finish you want and dont forget you can also get a very high
gloss finish on fine grained wood too (daft as that sounds just keep polishing till it gose dry buff the wood to a shine
keep going till you have the finish you want

and yes ive done that on one of my cheaper bowies ask geordie he,s seen it
on one of his many visits to my house
forum moderator

pjm

Postby pjm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:53 pm

the blade master wrote:remenber just a little dab on your finger keep polishing in tiny circles you,ll know its working
when the polish turns black i.e. the polish is removing steel in miniscule amounts giving you the
polished surface keep going till you have the finish you want and dont forget you can also get a very high
gloss finish on fine grained wood too (daft as that sounds just keep polishing till it gose dry buff the wood to a shine
keep going till you have the finish you want

and yes ive done that on one of my cheaper bowies ask geordie he,s seen it
on one of his many visits to my house

cheers for the info, i shall do as you say, ill refrain from using the ren wax till ive polished both kill bill swords, might aswell do them both together
my local sports shop only had a blueing pen, had thought about getting it for the hamon on the cheap wall hangers but never got it lol

pjm

Postby pjm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:46 pm

well update, finally got some free time to get started, ive removed the black paint and sanded it down and applied some dutch oil, sanded down the blades to get rid of the worst of the marks which has worked so all thats left to do is to polish the blades, also have to get a heat gun to loosen the grip of the glue to one of the end caps so i can get rid of the very last of the black paint, the end caps are bright gold colour which looks horrid so when ive got them off i think a coat of black would look great

shall post pics as soon as i have taken some lol

Return to “DIY & Projects”