Cheap bench grinder at aldi for budding knifemakers...

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

wtf?

Cheap bench grinder at aldi for budding knifemakers...

Postby wtf? » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:31 pm

Just popped to aldi and for £30 they have these little belt grinders... I paid £43.50 for everything you see...

Thats the grinder, which comes with a 80 grit belt and 2x 240 grit. Each belt pack comes with a 80, 100, 120 and 150 grit band, making 23 belts in all. And theres also the file set, which is self explanitory. With a few minutes, a screwdriver and a 19mm socket/spanner you can change it from its normal angled version (which is a bit awkward) to this...

You dont need any special tools or modifications. Its JUST a quick job with the screwdriver.

And with a bit of scrap mild steel, or maybe a L shaped bracket (bent with some pliers) from B&Q, plus one of these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-Automoti ... 1087856714 you can make yourself a nice worklight that will screw onto the side and sit right above the work. And these lights are perfect... Lightweight, BRIGHT and can be held onto the bracket with cable ties.

You could also, with more tools... Remove some of the safety guard at the top, to access the radius. Same on the bottom and make the whole thing pivot to access top and bottom easily. Theres also a simple mode to turn the grinding wheel into a disk sander... If you search "aldi bench grinder" you can find it. Takes a LITTLE woodworking skill and a drill. lol

So there we go... I have seen good things made with this sort of setup and while its underpowered, it is possible with some patience. For the price of around £100 you could have a grinder, hand made, home made and heat treated knife. Or... £45, and go to your local car boot sale and find something you can restore or modify...

Enjoy...
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

the blade master

Re: Cheap bench grinder at aldi for budding knifemakers...

Postby the blade master » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:46 pm

don't look at all bad for the price should suit a biginer nicely
as a first time buy hows your home made jobby coming on
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Yeah... Seems like a perfectly reaosnable little grinder.

As for my big one... The frame is built, I've got a nice 3hp electric motor ready to go. I just need a few finishing touches, make a drive wheel and she'll be ready for the first fine tuning. So in theory... Should be about a days work in the machine shop. I also recon its gonna be a bit beastly... 3hp running a 36 grit belt, and it'll destroy whatever it touches. ;)

God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:17 pm

ah well we will just have to see the video when its done :D just one thought tho
wouldnt a lower power motor suit till you see how its going?
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Theres no point in putting in a smaller motor, just to upgrade it... Any lining up of parts, etc will just need to be undone to install the new motor. May as well just go for the big one. Plus a smaller motor will use a smaller shaft, which means I'll need to make 2 sizes of drive wheel. The motors not the sticking point anyways... Thats sitting in my hallway, all wired up and ready to roll... Its the machining and fine tuning.

The bigger motor actually helps... If it'll all survive a 3hp motor and stay straight and true, it'll stay that way forever... My grandchildren, will be teaching their kids how to make knives from the same machine ;)

God i LOVE these things.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:02 pm

ah well you cant argue with that let us know how your getting on
forum moderator

Return to “DIY & Projects”