More DIY (not a sword stand this time!)

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Honda T

More DIY (not a sword stand this time!)

Post by Honda T » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:39 pm

Well, I'm at the DIY again, but this time it's not wood......... It's cloth!

Thought I'd try my hand at making some nishijin bags. The top one of the two has a 'cut' near the neck making for a wider opening; I believe this is the correct method.

The lower one is sewn all the way up to the tie (which is not threaded through at the time of the picture). The 'bronze coloured material is a man-made fibre, so I lined both bags with a cotton lining.

I think the material to make both came to about £5.00 - the little sewing machine you can buy for £20; all it does is forward stitch, no fancy elastic stitches or embroidery here, but it does the job. It's a proper little machine with bobbins, et al. I think the wife part treated me to it for Christmas so I can do her sewing! (Did you ever buy your partner a CD/film that YOU really wanted?)

Unleashed

Post by Unleashed » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:43 pm

Job's a good 'un!

Dr. Egg PHD
Location: 1.The act or process of locating 2.A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Dr. Egg PHD » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:44 pm

It's a nice material :). I just don't know what they're for; even though they look self-explanitary.

Honda T

Post by Honda T » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:01 pm

Dr. Egg PHD wrote:It's a nice material :). I just don't know what they're for; even though they look self-explanitary.
A sword bag will protect your sword during transit to, say, an iaido class, and also complies with the law/plod regarding carrying dangerous weapons in public.

And nishijin bags look nicer than those leatherette type bags, although don't offer as much protection. But then I don't drive around with loose bottles of antifreeze and oil in my boot like some car owners I know.

Honda T

Post by Honda T » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:02 pm

Unleashed wrote:Job's a good 'un!
Arigato gozaimasu.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:50 pm

Looks good, nice job :D