my project (pics)

Sword related DIY and Projects discussion

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

darksun_uk
Mod

my project (pics)

Post by darksun_uk » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:53 am

well the cats out of the bag, i will post a few pics and let this thread go from there these sai swords are not finished yet .....not fixed in place in the pics and the wraps are not on and the guards are not blued etc etc all this work will be done over the next 2-3 weeks....

OneThing
Location: Asking where I am implies time and space exist, a point I am not willing to concede

Post by OneThing » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:57 am

VERY Nice, but what the hell was that top sai made from????

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:02 am

OneThing wrote:VERY Nice, but what the hell was that top sai made from????
a naginata blade 8)

a nagi-sai-zashi (H)

3 versions so far ninjato (straight blade) is the default original version the wak and nag varients are just that varients...and are more expensive to make
Sai sword version 1

The Blade is ninjato style made from high carbon steel (5160) it has been differentially heat treated but the hamon is not visible as the extra work has not been done to reveal it (polishing and etching etc) as this is a budget blade, it is sharp but not knife sharp extra sharpening would mean an increase in cost

Each blade has had a solid brass blade collar affixed to it.

The guards are made from a solid piece of wrought iron that has been hammer forged to shape by an expert blacksmith to my exact specifications and is a work of art in its own right it its cold peened around the sword blade and as such it is is solidly and immovably fixed in place.

The tsuka (hilt) is oval steel pipe and the full tang of the sword blade is fixed within it with super strong metal replacement epoxy (industrial grade) and steel rods the hilt area is also steel pegged to make an absolutely solid and immovable bond between the blade tang and guard a bond as strong if not stronger than the method used on the paul chen PK.
The hilt is then wrapped with fine quality leather and the end is sealed with a Damascus steel cap.

OneThing
Location: Asking where I am implies time and space exist, a point I am not willing to concede

Post by OneThing » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:06 am

Very Nice. thought it looked almost Naginita-ish and now i know it is :D

Will be watching this very closly for updates :D

Kamui

Post by Kamui » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:07 am

very very very nice DS!!
as i said before i am most interested!

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:13 am

thanks for the comments so far....please remember people these swords are not finished yet please bear that in mind.....there are at least 5 original and 2 nag and wak versions being made now...pics and videos to follow...

i am only posting this thread now as its obvious that so many people know about this that everyone might as well know and see the progress of the last few stages of production/development.

kind regards

I will make each one as if I was making it for my own use and as such they are perfectly balanced (at the tips of the guard prongs) for use as sai and are designed to be used by people who are skilled in the use of sai who want to practice and expand there skills with this unique and unusual weapon they can of course be used simply as short swords and also appreciated as collectable objects in there own right (as can any sword)

Gorilla Warfairy

Post by Gorilla Warfairy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:57 am

Nice. can't help but wonder though what it would look like with a banshee blade, and the handle protruding from both sides of the guard so you've got a bit more to play with above the guard, and so that the cutting edge of the blade isn't behind the guard at points. hmm, probably me just being different, and having a liking for the banshee.... , i really should look at actually getting one (H)

OneThing

Post by OneThing » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:04 am

I concur, the banshee blade would be a good candidate for a sai hybrid, light weight, sharp and alread about the right size

sounds good :D

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:07 am

Gorilla Warfairy wrote:Nice. can't help but wonder though what it would look like with a banshee blade, and the handle protruding from both sides of the guard so you've got a bit more to play with above the guard, and so that the cutting edge of the blade isn't behind the guard at points. hmm, probably me just being different, and having a liking for the banshee.... , i really should look at actually getting one (H)
i will make one in a month or 2 8)

Gorilla Warfairy

Post by Gorilla Warfairy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:12 am

:D i will have to have a good look at it when you've finished.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:44 am

like them, like them muchly.

ibnsaladin

Post by ibnsaladin » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:18 pm

Terrific D-S, really superb work :D , really good to see you are also pushing the 'perceived' boundries (H)

respect 8)

ibn

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:42 pm

I Like them alot and will put this thread in Favourites to see progress. Gotta Admit i like the Naginata Sai the best looks awesome. :wink:

Ogami Itto

Post by Ogami Itto » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:29 pm

Nice layout of swords, if you miss the target with the blade you can get it with the hilt. (H)

Jaques

Post by Jaques » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:33 pm

Holy moly!

They are damn fine swords? They all practical?

Random question: You do any martial arts DS?