Handforged Samurai Sword (My first sword :))

Post photos of your prized collections here.
owenp185

Handforged Samurai Sword (My first sword :))

Postby owenp185 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:03 pm

My first samurai sword! I payed £104 and I'm so happy with this sword, its very sharp but more importantly looks beautiful to me. I will deffinatly end up collecting these fine pieces of art and history. Also quick question, though I have already gave it a clean with the kit im wondering should I get some of that renaissance wax? Im not sure if I would still need to use the maintance kit or if you just apply the wax and nomore maintanence? Also it appears to have the wax/oil inside the scabard (saya) which goes on the blade when unsheathed, is this normal?

Handforged Samurai Sword
- Stunning handmade Katana
- 1065 hand forged high carbon steel blade
- Real rayskin with cotton wrapped handle , full tang ,double pinned and fully stripable for maintenance .
- Supplied with maintenance kit ,striping mallet , spare tsuba ,
- Cotton sword bag , Free velvet lined presentation box and booklet with sword terms and care instructions .
- Blade measures approx 28" (711mm)
- Handle measures approx 10 1/2" (267mm)
- Whole sword in scabbard measures approx 41" (1041mm)

the blade master

Re: Handforged Samurai Sword(My first sword :))

Postby the blade master » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:55 pm

hi owen
the wax in your scabard is just that wax, put there by the manufacturer to stop exsess oil or moister entering the wood causing it to warp or split it will stop sticking to the blade soon enough the wax is normal now sword oil like chens sword oil or renaisence wax or any decent mineral oil will do for the blade oh in the bottom of the scabard is a small piece of bubble wrap pull it out with a straightend wire coat hanger because it will do more harm then good if left there if your using the renaisence wax put it on let dry then polish to a high shine the the maintenance kit is just a stop gap till you get some better products to care for your sword
all the best mick

ps the mallet in your kit is not the proper hammer for taking out the bamboo pegs the small brass one in the cleaning kit is the one to use alltho the bigger one can be used CARFULLY if need arises most folkes just chuck the big one in the drawer and forget about it mind you some kits dont have the brass one hence the mallet in the kit
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

owenp185

Re: Handforged Samurai Sword(My first sword :))

Postby owenp185 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks alot for all the advice, I will look into both of those. How often should I give it a clean and apply new oil? Im not touching the blade or cutting anything. Im just the kind of person who will end up cleaning it every day and I dont want to go over the top with it. Why would anyone collect anything other then these beautiful swords? Im so tempted to order another but I will hold of and get a better quality one from BladesUk. : )

the blade master

Re: Handforged Samurai Sword (My first sword :))

Postby the blade master » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:13 pm

hi owen
alltho its not really needed i clean and reoil mine every couple of months depending on how much crap they collect
from inside the saya and saving up your pennies to get a better quality katana aint a bad thing alltho you will appreaceate
the better quality
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

owenp185

Postby owenp185 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:08 am

Thanks. I have just uploaded a video of the sword which I think has turned out pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EerHFmHRfX4 Not sure why the Youtube link did not work. :/

Youtube

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:25 pm

owen
the link works fine here
mick
forum moderator

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:07 pm

Nice blade...good vid' too. ;)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 am

That aint a bad looking bit of kit at all for the price
Pimp or die baby!

Return to “Your Collections”