Page 2 of 2

Re: Behold (mostt of) my collection

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:14 pm
by Lone Wolf
Badly made in what way they look pretty solid to me, no rust or loose bits after all these years.

Re: Behold (mostt of) my collection

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:28 pm
by wtf?
Lone Wolf wrote:Badly made in what way they look pretty solid to me, no rust or loose bits after all these years.


The spacers and washers are made from some nylon type material. This ends up in premature wear... I would be surprised if there was no loose blades already, just because the material compresses and deforms... So by its very nature it will move. If you look at the blades themselves you would see that their stamped and this results the locking surface being angled even so slightly, where it should be flat faced. The springs are also stamped, usually the wrong size and not profiled correctly, meaning the lock isnt correct and it will be prone to releasing. You shouldnt see rust, but thats because the steel parts are low order stainless, full of chromium which while rust free, is also soft.

The body itself wont rust because its Aluminium... But again, its a low order Alloy.

Re: Behold (mostt of) my collection

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:21 am
by Lone Wolf
Looks fine to me, I see no angles, no loose blades the locking spring is perfectlyaligned with only the rough finger grip visible, they are still as good as the day I bought them many years ago.

Are you sure your not talking about later batchs / redesigns mine are very old.

Re: Behold (mostt of) my collection

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:57 pm
by wtf?
Lone Wolf wrote:Looks fine to me, I see no angles, no loose blades the locking spring is perfectlyaligned with only the rough finger grip visible, they are still as good as the day I bought them many years ago.

Are you sure your not talking about later batchs / redesigns mine are very old.


The ones I'm refering too would be ~8-10 years old... The angles WILL be there because the blades are stamped.There should be a 90 degree at the point where the blades meets spring, and on the spring itself where theres contact. The allignment of the spring isnt in the body of the knife... That was always fine. its the allignment of the contacting faces. And the blades WILL loosen... like I said, its a synthetic plastic spacer/washer... They wear for a pastime... I must have moved about 60 of them... All of them were the same. The only thing I was ever happy with, was the spring clip on the back, and the (possibly 3) retaining screws...

Honestly... If you ever take one apart, you'll soon see the machining problems.

Not that you would expect any more... They only retailed for under 20 notes, I remember. There actually may be a few gathering dust in the shed, now I come to think about it... lol

Re: Behold (mostt of) my collection

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:06 pm
by Lone Wolf
Well as I said they are as good asthe day I bought them when ever that was, on ebay for about 7 quid each if they start falling apart I'll just get my bro to fix em he's got a tonne of tools.

Can't believe how much new stuff I've bought in just over a year. I need to find a hobby that takes up less space :mrgreen:

Re: Behold (mostt of) my collection

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:15 pm
by wtf?
Lone Wolf wrote:Well as I said they are as good asthe day I bought them when ever that was, on ebay for about 7 quid each if they start falling apart I'll just get my bro to fix em he's got a tonne of tools.

Can't believe how much new stuff I've bought in just over a year. I need to find a hobby that takes up less space :mrgreen:


If anything, you'll need to get replacement washers... Get yourself some shim steel and get him to punch out what you need...