My Stuff

Post photos of your prized collections here.
Balian

Re: My Stuff

Postby Balian » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:23 pm

I got this the other day, John Barnett two handed mercenary sword.

It's huge, 1.53 metres and comes complete with a scabbard. The scabbard is a little pointless as it's very hard to draw because of the size. It came sharp although the edge sharpness varies along the length, it is very sharp in places as I found out while applying wax to the blade. It cut straight through the old tee shirt I was using with ease. The blade shows visible marks from the manufacturing process. I don't like perfectly forged swords, unlike Albion swords, I like the authentic tell tale signs that someone made it from scratch and left hammer marks etc, much like the blacksmiths of 700 years ago would have done

If you look at this sword online, it looks like the grip is thin and brittle. It certainly isn't thin or brittle. The full tang runs right through the entire length and is pegged 10 times along the grip. The quality of the build is typical of JB pieces. Built to a standard, it's certainly not on a par with the quality of a Hanwei or windlass but if you want a big two handed behemoth of a sword, you can't go wrong and for the price I paid... it was a bargain.

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:37 am

Very nice, I take it this is from their new line?

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Loving that hilt, and I like that hand beaten look, makes a change from the usual immaculate finish, can't help but think it would be better with a antiqued finish on it though.

Any pics of the scabbard?
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Balian

Postby Balian » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:52 pm

A better view of the hilt/ grip

The scabbard, standard design also huge.

Return to “Your Collections”