Help with choice of new Kat

Post photos of your prized collections here.
outcast

Help with choice of new Kat

Postby outcast » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:39 pm

just started to collect properly and first kat and tanto should arrive tomorrow but i will be looking at a chen katana in aug and sept and wondered if anyone had advice on whether to go for a practical plus or invest the extra money and go for the mushasi daito. i am 6'3" so the extra couple on inches blade length is not an issue and i have always preferred a longer tsuka but as its £400 compared to £225 is it worth the exttra investment.

would be mainly for display but would use it occaisionally for cutting bottles

the blade master

Re: Help with choice of new Kat

Postby the blade master » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:45 pm

hi
i have both and is either worth its money to right it is as for the daito as ive said its more than worth the money
handles like a dream too go for that if i were you
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

outcast

Postby outcast » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:36 pm

thanks will probably go for daito as long as funds hold out :roll:

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:52 pm

For 400 there's better Chen swords than the miyamoto daito, but if you want a big sword it's your choice ;)
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:02 pm

geordie the myamoto is a chen sword thats one of the best there is as i have one and its close relative the practical pro

outcast if you want a katana along the lines of the miyamoto daito but is a bit cheaper
try the practical pro or the practical pro elite if your thinking along the lines of the practical plus
range go for the practical plus elite katana its a wee bit bigger thicker and heavier and has slightly better fittings
than the practical plus katana alltho theres nowt wrong with the practical plus its just my particular preference
is the practical plus elite
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

outcast

Postby outcast » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:35 pm

its going to be 2 or 3 months so got plenty of time and you never know the golden oriole may come back which could tempt me away from miyamoto

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:41 pm

well im sure lawrence my have one hidden away someplace it wont do any harm to ring him and ask
forum moderator

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:10 pm

If I were you I'd check if the tori XL is still available at a VERY cut price about 350 I think, it's better than the majority of Chen swords with much better fittings and top grade folded steel, in my humble opinion it's one of the best that Hanwei have to offer, but it's thick and heavy, not long and slim.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Just checked and it's not in stock, :cry:

outcast

Postby outcast » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:35 am

well theres time yet got a couple of months before cash is avaliable anyway.
will probably change my mind a few times before then and then decide at the last minute while on phone placing order ;)

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:58 pm

I'd go with the Bamboo Mat over the Musashi http://www.blades-uk.com/view_items.php ... 3&start=30 in that price range, the difference in blade length is negligible if that is an issue.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:03 pm

Moon wrote:I'd go with the Bamboo Mat over the Musashi http://www.blades-uk.com/view_items.php ... 3&start=30 in that price range, the difference in blade length is negligible if that is an issue.

And it has a wicked hamon :D
But that's out of stock too :cry:

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:50 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:
Moon wrote:I'd go with the Bamboo Mat over the Musashi http://www.blades-uk.com/view_items.php ... 3&start=30 in that price range, the difference in blade length is negligible if that is an issue.

And it has a wicked hamon :D
But that's out of stock too :cry:

Don't be pedantic Ross :D the Musashi may be out of stock come September too, I doubt it though because it's not very popular among JSA practitioners from what I've read elsewhere. ;)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

outcast

Postby outcast » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:03 am

morpheus katana and mushashi tanto arrived yesterday as promised.
was a pleasant suprise about tanto as loz thoght tanto was out of stock and he would have to send alternative.
for the price of them cant go wrong.both looking good now that packing grease cleaned off.
now even more keen on a chen kat when i can afford it along with a wall stand for game room (wife wont be happy)
if i can warrant the cash and if they come back in stock i am really tempted with bushido katana but wil still probably set a limit of £400 for katana

Return to “Your Collections”