tanto,s

Post photos of your prized collections here.
the blade master

tanto,s

Postby the blade master » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:17 pm

well guys ive just got three of the sweetest tanto,s going from bucks the bohi the bronze the reverse blade tantos
alltho i belive the reverse blade tanto with a folded steel blade as has the gold one real name could be either the
(bokuwari or kubikri tanto which i belive translates to head cutter i.e. it was used by the samurai,s retainers to
remove the heads from the dead samurai as war trophies) dot // moon will correct me if im wrong i hope the
other two altho equally nicely done seem to be just standard tanto,s alltho the gold one dose have a beautifly
folded blade the bohi has a unusual style blade any one know what it is here,s the pics

theres the katana pics to come i,ll do asap and what a beauty too
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Geordie Ross

Re: tanto,s

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Cracking mate, really like that gold/bronze tanto now get the pics of the katana up :mrgreen:
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:09 pm

to hear is to obey master

forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:19 pm

That's a gem, love the curvature and rayskin says mate the blade looks very beefy

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:42 pm

sorry about the crap pics they were done in a rush heres a couple more
but i,ll do more in close up so you can see the blade in all its glory
but look at the pic with it poseing with normal style kats and you,ll
see theres quite a difference in curvature

forum moderator

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Holy sh!t!! I didn't realise the curvature was that prominent, lol I think it deserves its own space on the wall lol, aye I'd like some close ups of the hamon when you have the time mate.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:33 pm

aye i,ll do the hamon pics in normal daylight as for the stand i think your right theres one in particular i would like
its a wall mounted single katana stand i would like with a disc of a samurai on it i do belive it would look better displayed
on it own it just dont look right displayed with others allso i,ll have to find it a proper name for it as folded katana dont seem
right all the fittings seem to be based on the dragon theme all the fittings are gold plated and all the metal work is brass aged
to look real old then as ive said gold plated so theres a name there somewhere you can see the gold plating to best effect on the
habaki

got the stand sorted problem found a big single shiney stand with a shelf so ive put it on
that with a koto cleaning kit on the shelf looks neat too

right geordie heres some extra close ups you wanted if you want others let me know the marks on the
blade is the wax from the inside of the saya but its dose show the hamon to good effect.

forum moderator

Dotanuki2K

Postby Dotanuki2K » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Mick,
That actually is a tachi that has been remounted as a katana. There probably is a name for this type of mount, but for the life of me I can't remember it right now. Sometimes they would take tachi blades and remount them for use as a katana, but they also usually also cut the nakago (tang) down so they could mount a shorter straighter tsuka more appropiate for the katana. they might in some cases cut down the length of the blade also. It looks like yours is just a straight tachi to katana remount with no modifications, more in line as a piece of art rather than functional blade.
I really love the tsuba on this sword. I would myself buy a tachikake (standup stand) for this sword to display it to it's full effect.
Experience is is simply the name we give our mistakes

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:39 pm

cheers dot youve saved me from embrassing my self further :oops: so ive removed the crap from the last post
mind you i did get the info from the sbg go figure lols i knew if any one would know it would be you or moon
guese i should have waited for your reply :oops: as for the stand i was leaning towards tachikake on sale here
myself for the simple reason that it would look realy out of place displayed with other (normal?) katanas
cheers mick
forum moderator

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Its a beauty mick, love that tsuba and the fittings, that blade is superb, shame its not folded steel, nevertheless the jealous-o-meter is off the scale lol

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:33 pm

to be truthfull geordie im kinda glad its not beautful as folded blades are i really do belive that if it was it would detract
from the rest of the katanas features the tsuba for one the koshire for another and the finish on the saya and the ito which for
a refreshing change is real silk on the tsuka and on the saya the fittings are done to such a high standard its unbelivable youve heard dotanukis
comment about the tsuba and he dont make comments like that lightly plus most of the fittings are gold plated something ive never seen
on a sub £1000.00 katana before even the menuki are gold plated unusuall in that most are done in that staybright metal these days
so you can see what i mean about the blade mind you its got such a high polish you darent even breath on it lols you can have a look
at it next time your down here mind you i,ll be checking your pockets on the way out tho lols
forum moderator

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Although the curvature is not to my taste, that is One Amazing Katana Mick!
I have never seen anything like it, IMO it surpasses the expensive Hanwei Katana's I"ve seen, while they look good, your's looks Great, I'd better stop gushing now or people will talk, lols, I think a video review would good, hint-hint, :D

Dotanuki2K

Postby Dotanuki2K » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:10 pm

Mick,
I don't believe you've embarassed yourself at all here. We both know you can't believe everything that's written on the Internet, LOL!
I will say this though.
A true instructor/teacher/expert will speak on the level of his/her audience. When one is talking about a Japanese blade using "excessive" japanese lanquage descriptions with no corresponding english equivilent, unless they are addressing a hall of Nihon-To collectors, they are just poseurs/obnoxious fools.
There are probably using a cheat sheet next to the computer.
This is something to keep in mind with all the Internet experts out there.
Especially when the later show videos of themselves cutting water bottles only swinging away like an untrained fool, proving they know nothing about Japanese sword and it's spirit.
And there are a lot of them out there.
Again, something to keep in mind.
Experience is is simply the name we give our mistakes

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:05 am

thanks dot your a real gentlman thanks

and liquid tater lols belive it or not id be to self concious about
doing a vid review mind you if some one did it for me it wouldnt be to
bad and (no im not sending it away to some to do one for me or i wouldnt get it back aint that right geordie :D
any way i wouldnt know how to make one.
forum moderator

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:07 am

Aye mick, I'll certainly have a good look next time I'm round your house, it may do a disappearing act if you're not careful lmao :mrgreen:

Return to “Your Collections”