come take a look at my chopper

Post photos of your prized collections here.
Geordie Ross

Re: come take a look at my chopper

Postby Geordie Ross » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:09 am

Lol I'm not sure if Bowie was a confederate? So he supported slavery, kind of makes him a bad guy?
And I'm thinking of getting a throwing axe, but the kit rae cobra is a bit too "contemporary" for me, the spike hawk looks better.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Moon wrote:What happened to this one and the others that were in the OP Mick? :S

i got niggled because of the complaints of the size so deleted them and not being a happy bunny because of what happened to my daughter
and worrying myself sick over it didnt help either sorry about that guys.

side note
the silly mare has signed herself out from the hospital against medical and police advice
now ive got to worrying about how she;s coping at home good job theres a couple of my
other daughters living near by plus there her two girls at home but it dont make it any easier
for me and the missus so you,ll have to forgive guys if i seem a little off these days
cheers mick

geordie theres about 5 different hawks on offer from cold steel any of which would suite you can you
tell me what sort of theme your after so i can make some suitable recomendations for you by the way
these hawks are made in taiwan which are better than there chinese made counter parts
mick

not being par fay about american history not sure if confederate/unionists were in exsistance at that time seeing
as america was a developing country at that time saying he,s a bad guy could be a bit much as he lost his life for a
cause he belived in as did many others in 1836 (the alamo)
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Dotanuki2K

Postby Dotanuki2K » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Sorry to hear of your daughter's situation, I had a strange feeling something was going on there.
I know what it is like to feel helpless in those situations, nothing you can do but pray and hope for the best.

Jim Bowie considered himself a Texican. Texas was a province of Mexico at the time.
He fought and died in the Texas war of Independence. Texicans versus Mexico.
The Alamo being the famous battle of this war.
Texas was actually Independent after this war, only later did they vote to join the Union.
Something they probably regret to this day, if you would understand the temperment of most Texans, LOL.
Probably similar to the English and Irish.
Later during the american civil war, Texas joined the Confederacy, even though Texas was never a slave state.
The american civil war was actually fought over states rights and economics.
The abolition of slavery was just a by-product of the war.
BTW, England supported the Confederacy during the American Civil War.

The American colonies had legalised slavery from the beginning, even when under english control. (especially)
So I quess that makes you Brits complicent and just as evil as us. LOL.
Experience is is simply the name we give our mistakes

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:38 pm

Yea but america still makes prisoners work for nearly no money at all, :) chalk one up on the imaginary points board :>
Britain and the USA were built on the cotton trade, Abe Lincoln wrote a letter to the cotton mill workers of England thanking them for supporting the abolition of slavery, the working class fully supported the abolition, the mill owners however didn't.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:34 pm

thanks for the info dot makes things that went on easier for me to understaned :D
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Dotanuki2K

Postby Dotanuki2K » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:18 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Yea but america still makes prisoners work for nearly no money at all, :) chalk one up on the imaginary points board :>

Er,....................
Is that for us or you?
I'd worry more about non-union workers being unfairly paid than prisoners.

I think it was wonderful that the workers supported the North (Union).
While their bosses were giving money and arms to the confederacy (south) to win.

When did "any" country ever really care about what their workers wanted?

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:32 pm

So very true, particularly in this era, the working class are always the hardest hit. As a great man once said, "when the rich wage war, its the poor who die"
Its the major downfall of capitalism, but that's a whole other forum lol

Dotanuki2K

Postby Dotanuki2K » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:12 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:So very true, particularly in this era, the working class are always the hardest hit. As a great man once said, "when the rich wage war, its the poor who die"
Its the major downfall of capitalism, but that's a whole other forum lol

Geordie,
Actually it was only the South that was dependent on the cotton trade, The North was industrialised.
The South agricultural.
Most of the south were poor farmers who never owned slaves. conned into fighting a war because they didn't want the city boys of the north telling them what to do. As you said, the rich getting the poor to fight and die for them.
If the south would have never seceeded from the Union, they speculate it might have taken another 50 years before they abolished slavery. The money interests in government had too much power to allow it otherwise or sooner.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:19 am

Yea, when government and corporations get too close, bad things happen.
Its shocking to know that right at this moment in time there are more people in bondage (slavery, not sex game) than any other point in time.
I think I heard that on Qi so if Stephen fry said it, it must be true.

Moon

Postby Moon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Plenty of articles on the net about Bowie's involvement with the illegal importation of slaves and his shady land deals before he allegedly swore allegiance to Mexico...owning, buying and selling slaves wasn't illegal but importing them was, apparently...
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/onli ... cles/fbo45
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:05 pm

It was legal to own a slave in Britain until around 2010 when the law was revoked and it became illegal, we have many silly laws in this country...

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:15 pm

aye like having to practice archery on a sunday no exseptions
forum moderator

Dotanuki2K

Postby Dotanuki2K » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Great Link Moon!!

You dig back into "any" person's history or family's histories and you will find many things you will wish you hadn't.
BTW, Davey Crockett was a boyhood heo of mine. :D

You Brit's would be surprised (probably shocked is a better word) if you were to see how wild some parts of Texas, Tennesee, Kentucky and West Virginia are even today. In most parts of Texas it is legal to walk the streets with a gun holstered at your side, just like in the Westerns you see.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:06 pm

To be honest, if I was allowed to do that, I probably would, with a ten gallon hat and some "shootn' irons" :014

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:24 am

Dotanuki2K wrote:Great Link Moon!!

You dig back into "any" person's history or family's histories and you will find many things you will wish you hadn't.
BTW, Davey Crockett was a boyhood heo of mine. :D

You Brit's would be surprised (probably shocked is a better word) if you were to see how wild some parts of Texas, Tennesee, Kentucky and West Virginia are even today. In most parts of Texas it is legal to walk the streets with a gun holstered at your side, just like in the Westerns you see.

I like reading about what people were really like, not the way that they're portrayed on TV, in the movies or books, when I was a kid there was a guy who worked in a local foundry named David Crockett who looked nothing like Fess Parker, he was a fairly short man who proved to have an even shorter temper when people began to call him 'Davy', maybe that's what started it for me. :D

I'm not saying a word about your in-laws in WV :> but I've always found it a little odd that the State where Jim Bowie lost his life allows the open carry of guns but not the type of knives that bear his name. :S
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Return to “Your Collections”