hibben 3 fighter and the hibben3

Post photos of your prized collections here.
the blade master

hibben 3 fighter and the hibben3

Postby the blade master » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:23 pm

ok guys
ive just added two more to the collection the hibben 3 fighter and its bigger brother
the hibben 3 (the hibben 3 was called the Rambo 3 till master cutlery screwed things up by nicking the Rambo name by dubious means)
the little one is just 3 ins shorter than its big brother otherwise the details are the same for both
yes as with most things united cutlery these days there made in china not Taiwan but don't hold that against them
as the fit and finish on these are first rate not a mark or blemish to be found any where and sharp as hell too as
my thumb found out to its cost when I got a little careless in cleaning the smudges/finger prints of the blades
nice decent sheaths on both real leather too and quality hardwood handles nice stainless blades and fittings
even the so called anti blur sighting slot has been milled out to a very smooth finish not done on the ripoffs
some useless info the original purpose of the slot was for two side blades two be fitted only two hibben/Rambo 3 knives were made this way
gil hibben has one and sly stallone the other

the hibben 3

the hibben 3 fighter
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

liquidator96

Re: hibben 3 fighter and the hibben3

Postby liquidator96 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Tasty!
What is the steel like? I am aware that its 7Cr17, which I've heard is quite a soft steel for knives, do you ever use them or perform 'cut tests'? :D

the blade master

Re: hibben 3 fighter and the hibben3

Postby the blade master » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:08 am

hi dave
not sure what type of steel is used apart from what it says in the product description/blurb/advertising info (its 420-j2 stainless steel)
but going by the slice out of my thumb I,d say they were hard and sharp enough for most tasks they were put to
the paper cutting test says it all clean cuts and no tears along the cut edge
mick

ok its now 17/07/14
heres some info for you ive borrowed???
from Wikipedia so cant vouch for its validity

The 400 series remains one of the most popular choices for knife makers because it is easy to sharpen and it is resistant to corrosion.
410 is a hardenable, straight-chromium stainless steel which combines superior wear resistance with excellent corrosion resistance.
416 is very similar to 410 with the addition of sulfur to improve machinability.
420 has more carbon than 410, but less than 440. As such it is softer than 440, but has a higher toughness.[22]
420HC is a higher carbon content 420 stainless. The HC stands for "high carbon" and it can be brought to a higher hardness than 420 and should not be mistaken for it. Buck Knives uses 420HC extensively.[7]
420J2 is an inexpensive,highly corrosion resistant steel. Knife manufacturers use this material in budget knives, also in diving knives due to its high resistance to corrosion.[7]
440A is relatively a low cost, highly corrosion resistant stainless steel.[23]
440B is almost identical to 440A, but has a higher carbon content range compared to 440A[23]
440C is considered a high-end stainless steel. It is very resistant to corrosion and is one of the most common stainless alloys used for knife making.[23] The once ubiquitous American Buck Model 110 Folding Hunter was made of 440C before 1981. 440C has highest carbon content in 440 group.[23] If its AISI designation is 440C, DIN designation is X105CrMo17. It's also made by Böhler as n695 steel, this one widely used by Cudeman in its survival knives series (MT series, Boina Verde and JJSK).

heres the link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blade_materials
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Return to “Your Collections”