Shinto Katana

Reviews of Blades-UK products as provided by the customers

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

eagle1

Shinto Katana

Postby eagle1 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:13 pm

Hi all!

thought I would share a small review and afew pics of this fine sword. :D
i will not go into great detail,as theres already a lot of info around on this sword already.

was very impressed with the p&p.The Shinto comes complete with a fine quality sword bag and cleaning kit.with all you need for maintenance of your sword.The Nishijin bag is a bright orange with little woven golden dragons. :D
ok now on to the sword.

The Saya is very well laquered,The blade is well made and fit and finish is without flaw.Everything fits well even the hilt cotton pattern is well made, tight
and does not shift.this blade has beautiful weight and balance,its a very light sword.over all The Shinto is a sturdy, solidly made weapon.

only downside being :S the polyester type material of the sageo it really does suck for a £400 sword.but anyway I have replaced the sageo with a decent silk item.
and Finally some pics. [img=http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8753/img3618fn9.th.jpg]

cybernex

RE:

Postby cybernex » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:14 pm

Nice, You've made an excellent choice with the shinto as i've been told by professionals that it's one of the best of the Chen forged steel range for tamashigeri cutting, Not that you would use it for that after paying out £400 though.

Anywho congrats on buying such an excellent Katana and don't worry about the sago it can easilly be changed.
"I Belong To The Warrior Whom The Old Ways Have Joined With The New."

Moon

Postby Moon » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:38 pm

Very nice...the Shinto is a great sword which is often overlooked but is one of the most authentic in appearance of the whole Chen range imho.
Congratz. ;)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:37 pm

Aye I've always respected the Shinto myself. Excellent choice sir :mrgreen:
Pimp or die baby!

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:40 pm

Oh I see you have a Tsunami katana too. Which best dude, the Tsunamai or the Shinto? (and I'm sure you made this choice but the tsuba on your PPK is the wrong way round)
Pimp or die baby!

eagle1

Postby eagle1 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:15 pm

Larnz wrote:Oh I see you have a Tsunami katana too. Which best dude, the Tsunamai or the Shinto? (and I'm sure you made this choice but the tsuba on your PPK is the wrong way round)
well id say the Tsunami and as for the tsuba i know ,after playing around with it.it just looked better that way round :D :D

Loz
Blades UK

Re: Shinto Katana

Postby Loz » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:36 pm

Must pipe up here and say the shinto is my absolute favourite for kata practice, I've never handled a sword that comes close to the shinto in terms of weight and balance perfection, it's a master stroke with everything exactly the way it should be (well for me at the very least), superb.
http://www.Blades-UK.com for your Swords

cybernex

RE:

Postby cybernex » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:39 pm

In the near future, I'm planning on getting my hands on a Chen Shinto Blade in Shirasaya and build myself a custom Katana from the ground up.

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:54 pm

You planning on doing all the carving yerself or buying and modding?
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

darkhobo

Postby darkhobo » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:11 am

looks borgeous man.
Mos wrote:Americans :roll:

Mos wrote:ill say it again Americans

Simoriax wrote:well what do you know, i love americans! :)

cybernex

RE:

Postby cybernex » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:12 pm

Blackbird wrote:You planning on doing all the carving yerself or buying and modding?

Most of it but i'm probably gonna just sand the saya to the right shape and laquer it, Theres no point wasting a good saya that fits perfectly IMO, But i am going to build a new Tsuka from scratch also do all the koshirae work on it and hopfully get a decent custom katana out of it in the end.

This'll probably be the most challenging thing i'm going to attempt katana-wise but first i'm going to attempt it on a cheaper shirasaya first to make sure its 100% possible for me to do.

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:14 pm

Best of luck mate I'm sure yer more than up to the job.
Blade with whom I have lived

Blade with whom I shall die

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

cybernex

RE:

Postby cybernex » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:24 pm

Thanx BB, The only things i'm not looking forward to is attaching the Sa'me and all the sanding this project will involve.

tombeck

Postby tombeck » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:22 pm

Eagle1 where abouts did you get your sageo? i have found a nice synthetic silk selection, but not found any real silk (in the uk atleast) if you cant post a link due to forum rules, it would be great if you could pm me. Thanks alot and nice photos :) the 3 swords look very nice together!
(and iv realised this is a very old thread, hopefully your still around ;))

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:38 pm

tombek hi
no point replying to a thread thats been dead for three years if you need any bits and pieces call lawrence on the site phone no
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Return to “Customer Reviews”