BUK Shingen Katana

Reviews of Blades-UK products as provided by the customers

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Iron Donkey

BUK Shingen Katana

Postby Iron Donkey » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:55 am

Well I got one of these the other day, and I have to say I'm impressed. Sure it's not exactly a high end custom blade, but the Hamon was subtle, but obvious (it's not invisible) and has a wonderful shape to it, and is actually closer to the subtlety you see on a Japense Shinken than on say a Paul Chen. The only problem I have with it, is the Ito, which is an off red and actually seems closer to pink than anything else.

I didn't of course buy it to look at it and took it to some bamboo mats to see how it handled. It's a heavy sword for it's size, and it actually cuts remarkably well. The balance is just right and it went through 2 rolled Tatami Omote mats without any difficulty, or any listing or deformation of the blade. It's a lot lighter than my PPK. The balance point isn't quite where I want it to be though, and I wouldn't call it an excellent martial artists sword, however if you practice some Iaido, and want to do some test cutting with a blade that is going to feel like your Iaito in terms of balance point(ish) and weight, then this is easy to recommend (especially as at 65 pounds you aren't going to be crying about it if you cut badly and deform the blade). I'm extremely pleased with it, though I'm probably going to re-warp the Tsuka with something a little less offensive. Compared to the other swords in this price range that I bought previously there is no comparrison. The Kissaki is great and the Boshi is subtle like the rest of the Hamon, but is apparent if you look on it. Wherever B-UK got these from they did a great job sourcing them. Sure it's probably not going to be as dependable as a Paul Chen Practical, but it's much more traditionally constructed and just feels a lot closer to an iaito.

:GGG
-Insert witty and pretentious quotation here

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Re: BUK Shingen Katana

Postby Big Lazy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:47 pm

Glad you like it sir :mrgreen:
Pimp or die baby!

John Tarantula

Postby John Tarantula » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:21 am

got one of these as well and agree it is a nice blade for the price! :GGe

John Tarantula

Postby John Tarantula » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:15 pm

does anyone know if you an remove the handle from the Shingen Kat or are the pegs glued in?
(sorry can't remember proper Japanese spellings for words)

got my PPK Elite and actually prefer the Shingen! even the red handle is growing on me :mrgreen:

Iron Donkey

Postby Iron Donkey » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:10 pm

I haven't yet tested this and I'm at work at the moment thus away from my Shingen, but from memory the pegs aren't glued in. For the record it doesn't hold a candle to the PPK. The only thing it's got going for it, is that it's lighter than the PPK, but compared to build quality...it's no where near it.
-Insert witty and pretentious quotation here

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:26 pm

I haven't heard of this one, could you please let me know where you got it, I've looked on the B-Uk site & it eludes me, cheers, Martin. :D

kiri

Postby kiri » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:05 am

Hi,

Bit of a thread resurrection!

I picked up one of these at the time and I remember some threads about how it was made and where it was made etc.

Sadly I can't seem to find those threads :(

Couple of questions if anyone remembers.

1. Where was it made. (Which forge) I know it was somewhere in China.

2. What steel was it made of. I have a vague recollection it might have been 1060 or 1065 but also remember something about the BUK katana being 1095

Here's a pic if it helps!

http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=2663

Cheers

K
So many dreams like moths around a luminous mind to flutter for an instant before perishing on the unbearable brightness.........

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:28 am

and there was me thinking it was only jesus that could raise the dead :>
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Many, Many Lols!

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:27 pm

The hamon looks epic! (Is it clay tempered?) It seems similar to the Fuji katana... Maybe the same manufacturer?
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Return to “Customer Reviews”