Special Edition Bamboo Katana review

Reviews of Blades-UK products as provided by the customers

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Lone Wolf

Special Edition Bamboo Katana review

Post by Lone Wolf » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:33 am

Discription from Blades UK.
40" Overall with a 27.5" sharpened, 1095 High carbon steel blade which is hand forged and features a genuine clay temper. The wooden saya is decorated with indvidual bamboo slats with a full lacquer finish. Highest quality brown ito and sageo with buffalo horn fittings. Copper Tsuba and furniture with bamboo motif. Full tang, double pegged, genuine same handle wrap. Beautifully balanced, a pleasure to handle.Complete with wooden box with maint kit, production DVD, certificate and storage sleeve.

The Special Edition Bamboo Katana is a damn fine piece, I will speak first of the blade as my camera can't do it justice, the curve of the blade is lovely and like nothing I have already (I have a ppk, koto deluxe folded bronze, folded tachi and koto shirasaya) the blade has a mirror like shine with a fine hamon like a ribbon of drifting incense on the breeze which is very difficult to get a picture of because it is so shiney and the harmon so delicate looking.

The saya has a lovely slightly rustic look to it, with the slight ununiformity of the bamboo but is still a clear patten, with lovely fittings and thick sageo.

The fittings are good reminiscent of the aforementioned koto deluxe folded bronze, with the bamboo motifs throughout, bamboo stems are featured on the kashira, fuchi and tsuba, with bamboo leaves on the menuki and a habaki featuring vertical lines on the base section which I believe is intended to simulate the grain of a bamboo stem.

Pro: blade, saya, decoration.

Con: slight movement of fuchi, koto are rather tight with the sword oil in the maintenance kit, the bottle is only half full.

Don't know how to turn it round but never mind.

Bare in mind I've not cleaned it yet.

Side by side with deluxe folded bronze to show the curve, bamboo is the one at the edge of the bed.
Last edited by Lone Wolf on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

Geordie Ross

Re: Special Edition Bamboo Katana review

Post by Geordie Ross » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:46 am

Awesome, there's a little trick you can do to tighten up the fuchi, cut the corner off a playing card and shim it.
Also, nice description of the hamon lol.

Mellony

Post by Mellony » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:59 am

That’s awesome – I suppose the real question is this: now that Loz has added the rest of the premium koto ones onto the site yesterday – do you regret getting this one – some of the others are also very very nice – or would you still get this one? The Hand Painted Bamboo & the Brass Flower Katana are both awfully tempting too - i really dont know which to get!
Last edited by Mellony on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:03 am

Personally I think the special edition bamboo is the pick of the bunch. The saya may not be to everyone's taste but I think its ace.
Any chance of a close up on the hamon?

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:08 am

I agree with Geordie, the only other I'm liking is the rosewood but I'm thinking as an aswell not an instead of, the natural sword collection, shirasaya in pale saya, bamboo saya katana and rosewood saya katana maybe, gonna have a think about it.

Thats the best picture of the blade I can get any closer and I'm just getting reflections of my silver lensed camera.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 am

Mellony wrote:That’s awesome – I suppose the real question is this: now that Loz has added the rest of the premium koto ones onto the site yesterday – do you regret getting this one – some of the others are also very very nice – or would you still get this one? The Hand Painted Bamboo & the Brass Flower Katana are both awfully tempting too - i really dont know which to get!
Yea, I'd love some close ups of the hand painted bamboo, but I'd prefer the brass flower to have blue ito/sageo.
Lone Wolf wrote:I agree with Geordie, the only other I'm liking is the rosewood but I'm thinking as an aswell not an instead of, the natural sword collection, shirasaya in pale saya, bamboo saya katana and rosewood saya katana maybe, gonna have a think about it.

Thats the best picture of the blade I can get any closer and I'm just getting reflections of my silver lensed camera.
Guess I'll just have to buy one and see for myself lol

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:34 am

I just don't like the way those sayas are suded on the flower ones, if it was a heap of flowers at the bottom of it or a single one in the centre on both sides fine but that whole placing them like footprints walking across the saya I don't like.

Seriously thinking of getting the rosewood tho thats right up my street.

Mellony

Post by Mellony » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:53 am

They have same flowery nonsense on the Chen Bushido Kat & Wak Saya's – Unfortunately the flowers are under several mm of lacquer – so just had to learn to like them :)

After emailing Loz this morning to find that there was only one Special Edition Bamboo Katana left- I ‘m afraid I had to snap it up – cant wait for delivery – been years since I last bought a katana :)

Given that there was 4, Mick ordered one, as did Lone Wolf & I got the last one - who got the 3rd? Was it you Geordie? I do hope you got it in time!

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:56 am

Good stuff.

I really do think I will buy that rosewood one later, my boyfriend is going to kill me he hates all those swords and knives.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:03 am

Mellony wrote:They have same flowery nonsense on the Chen Bushido Kat & Wak Saya's – Unfortunately the flowers are under several mm of lacquer – so just had to learn to like them :)

After emailing Loz this morning to find that there was only one Special Edition Bamboo Katana left- I ‘m afraid I had to snap it up – cant wait for delivery – been years since I last bought a katana :)

Given that there was 4, Mick ordered one, as did Lone Wolf & I got the last one - who got the 3rd? Was it you Geordie? I do hope you got it in time!
Jesus! Hot cakes comes to mind lol
And maybe :mrgreen:

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 am

Lone Wolf wrote:I just don't like the way those sayas are suded on the flower ones, if it was a heap of flowers at the bottom of it or a single one in the centre on both sides fine but that whole placing them like footprints walking across the saya I don't like.

Seriously thinking of getting the rosewood tho thats right up my street.
Yea theres a few sayas with the cherry blossom petals inlaid, the soshu kitae buffalo has them along with the Bushido as Mel pointed out. I prefer the saya on the tori xl, rattan wrapped and textured rather than lacquered.

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:35 am

seeing the close up of the saya it really dose look good as dose the hamon

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:44 am

Have you not received yours yet mick?

Moon

Post by Moon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Discription from Blades UK.
40" Overall with a 27.5" sharpened, 1095 High carbon steel blade which is hand forged and features a genuine clay temper. The wooden saya is decorated with indvidual bamboo slats with a full lacquer finish. Highest quality brown ito and sageo with buffalo horn fittings. Copper Tsuba and furniture with bamboo motif. Full tang, double pegged, genuine same handle wrap. Beautifully balanced, a pleasure to handle.Complete with wooden box with maint kit, production DVD, certificate and storage sleeve
Any reference to the blade lamination with the sword Ms Wolf?

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Not in the box unless its on the koto certificate in the box which is of course in the language of the shogun, not that i trust it to say anything i am sure they are just genericly printed, theres some weight to it, lighter then the folded bronze but heavier then the ppk if thats any help.