fenghuang katana

Reviews of Blades-UK products as provided by the customers

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby Moon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Is it 1045 or 1060? :S
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Maynar
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:18 pm
Location: Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby Maynar » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Use plain rubbing alcohol (from the chemist, cheap) to remove the oil and yes, Blade Master is correct, that's WAAY too much oil. Clean it off and when you re-apply oil, put it on the cloth, not directly on the blade. Easier to control the amount. My rule of thumb is, if you can see the oil on the blade, it's too much. If you put too much on, wipe with a dry cloth. You can't see it any more, but it's still there.

Also you don't need to oil every week. Inspect? Sure. But I rarely oil, I live in a fairly humid climate, and I have no rust problems.If I use the blade for backyard cutting then yes, wipe after every cut, clean and oil before putting it away or rust will appear very quickly.

Hope that helps. :)
I am Brother Maynar, keeper of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. And the number of the counting, shall be three.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby Moon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Maynar wrote: My rule of thumb is, if you can see the oil on the blade, it's too much. If you put too much on, wipe with a dry cloth. You can't see it any more, but it's still there.

+1. ;)
I've never used Ren' wax either - suggest using that stuff to collectors on a Nihonto forum and you won't have to wait long to be insulted...big time. :D
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

User avatar
Geordie Ross
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: South Shields Tyne and Wear
Contact:

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby Geordie Ross » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Moon wrote:
Maynar wrote: My rule of thumb is, if you can see the oil on the blade, it's too much. If you put too much on, wipe with a dry cloth. You can't see it any more, but it's still there.

+1. ;)
I've never used Ren' wax either - suggest using that stuff to collectors on a Nihonto forum and you won't have to wait long to be insulted...big time. :D


:shocked: blasphemy! Why is ren wax frowned upon?
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

User avatar
the blade master
Posts: 2929
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: here there and everywhere

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby the blade master » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:21 pm

prefer just using the oil now just use the ren wax mostly on polished brass to stop it tarnishing
so quickly

geordie i dont think the samurai of old had owt like ren wax just choji oil and yet some of there swords are pristine condition
and over 4 to 6 hundred years old i may have this wrong but i do belive ren wax was only intended to be used on old swords
and such to help them stop detierating any further not the new steel (but of course i well may be wrong)just my opinion for whats its worth
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

User avatar
Geordie Ross
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: South Shields Tyne and Wear
Contact:

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby Geordie Ross » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Ren wax has kept my tori xl in mint condition for 2 years. I have nothing but praise for it.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby Moon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:
Moon wrote:+1. ;)
I've never used Ren' wax either - suggest using that stuff to collectors on a Nihonto forum and you won't have to wait long to be insulted...big time. :D


:shocked: blasphemy! Why is ren wax frowned upon?

Probably because it can only be removed completely with a solvent and solvents can seriously damage real Nihonto when trapped in the micropores of the steel when another coat of oil is applied, I recall it being listed as not being suitable for blades with a true hamon for this reason and also why '3 in 1' and 'WD40' etc. should be avoided like Newcastle city centre on a Saturday night. :D
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

froller2
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby froller2 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:04 pm

Maynar wrote:Use plain rubbing alcohol (from the chemist, cheap) to remove the oil and yes, Blade Master is correct, that's WAAY too much oil. Clean it off and when you re-apply oil, put it on the cloth, not directly on the blade. Easier to control the amount. My rule of thumb is, if you can see the oil on the blade, it's too much. If you put too much on, wipe with a dry cloth. You can't see it any more, but it's still there.

Also you don't need to oil every week. Inspect? Sure. But I rarely oil, I live in a fairly humid climate, and I have no rust problems.If I use the blade for backyard cutting then yes, wipe after every cut, clean and oil before putting it away or rust will appear very quickly.

Hope that helps. :)

yea i did clean it and re-oil it (with less oil) oh and do you know if chinese/roman swords needs oiling etc?

User avatar
the blade master
Posts: 2929
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: here there and everywhere

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby the blade master » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:06 pm

if its carbom steel yes
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby Moon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:12 pm

froller2 wrote:yea i did clean it and re-oil it (with less oil) oh and do you know if chinese/roman swords needs oiling etc?

All swords need oiling except for stainless steel wall hangers like Mick said.

BTW
I'll ask again...is the 'fenghuang' 1045 or 1060?
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

froller2
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby froller2 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:21 pm

Moon wrote:
froller2 wrote:yea i did clean it and re-oil it (with less oil) oh and do you know if chinese/roman swords needs oiling etc?

All swords need oiling except for stainless steel wall hangers like Mick said.

BTW
I'll ask again...is the 'fenghuang' 1045 or 1060?

1060 folded:)

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby Moon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:33 pm

froller2 wrote:

1060 folded:)

How do you know it's 1060?
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

User avatar
the blade master
Posts: 2929
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: here there and everywhere

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby the blade master » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:46 pm

and dont say because i told you ive been wrong before some sites i use arnt allways right the main uk importer says its 1045 the manufacturers site says somthing different
so who is right??? all i can say for sure its folded steel
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby Moon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:55 am

the blade master wrote:and dont say because i told you ive been wrong before some sites i use arnt allways right the main uk importer says its 1045 the manufacturers site says somthing different
so who is right??? all i can say for sure its folded steel

Exactly Mick and this has always been a problem for me.
Some sites state this, that and whatever but nobody except the manufacturer really knows what the steel is or what style of lamination (if any) is used in the production.
If I was a manufacturer, I could claim that my blades are forged from tamahagane in the soshu kitae style and nobody could refute my claim without an expensive and thorough expert metallurgical analysis of the blade.
Take a look at these examples people and can any one of us identify which style is which even if we had the sections of blades in hand?

http://legacyswords.com/nihontoCS/crosssections.htm

I doubt it very much. :|
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

User avatar
the blade master
Posts: 2929
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: here there and everywhere

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby the blade master » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:30 am

after looking at those pics moon i can see your point :S
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar


Return to “Customer Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests