fenghuang katana

Reviews of Blades-UK products as provided by the customers

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

froller2

Re: fenghuang katana

Postby froller2 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:02 pm

the blade master wrote:and dont say because i told you ive been wrong before some sites i use arnt allways right the main uk importer says its 1045 the manufacturers site says somthing different
so who is right??? all i can say for sure its folded steel

i emailed Admin2@blades-UK.com and few days later i got an email back saying it was 1060 hc

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Moon wrote:
Geordie Ross wrote:
Moon wrote:+1. ;)
I've never used Ren' wax either - suggest using that stuff to collectors on a Nihonto forum and you won't have to wait long to be insulted...big time. :D

:shocked: blasphemy! Why is ren wax frowned upon?

Probably because it can only be removed completely with a solvent and solvents can seriously damage real Nihonto when trapped in the micropores of the steel when another coat of oil is applied, I recall it being listed as not being suitable for blades with a true hamon for this reason and also why '3 in 1' and 'WD40' etc. should be avoided like Newcastle city centre on a Saturday night. :D

Why would you want to remove the wax?
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Moon wrote:
Geordie Ross wrote:
Moon wrote:+1. ;)
I've never used Ren' wax either - suggest using that stuff to collectors on a Nihonto forum and you won't have to wait long to be insulted...big time. :D

:shocked: blasphemy! Why is ren wax frowned upon?

Probably because it can only be removed completely with a solvent and solvents can seriously damage real Nihonto when trapped in the micropores of the steel when another coat of oil is applied, I recall it being listed as not being suitable for blades with a true hamon for this reason and also why '3 in 1' and 'WD40' etc. should be avoided like Newcastle city centre on a Saturday night. :D

moons made a valid point ren wax alltho used by a lot of people for vairious reasons (this comes from a respected source) its not advised
to use it on folded/Damascus/patterned blades as it fades out the patterns/hamon on most blades the best way is to condition the steel
using oil after cleaning all the shipping crud off oil it once a day for seven days or so then once a week for four weeks then three or four times a year
there after or as often as you wish maybe it sounds a bit exssessive to some but to be honest conditioning the steel dose make sence to me as moon
has said gives the oil a chance to soak into the micro pores of the steel giving it better protection over a long period
this may sound crap to some but as ive said it dose make some sence to me.
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Maybe I'll try that in future with some of my swords I've got 2 bottles of oil does it matter if I don't use solvent to get rid of wax it would just rub off eventually wouldn't it and my brother said he'd give me some isopropanel

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:47 pm

[quote="Lone Wolf"]Maybe I'll try that in future with some of my swords I've got 2 bottles of oil does it matter if I don't use solvent to get rid of wax it would just rub off eventually wouldn't it and my brother said he'd give me some isopropa

to be honest ren wax has to be taken off with with a (solvent )isopropyl is fine otherwise it will stay there for a long long time
you will need the solvent to get it out (hopefully) from the pores in the steel where you need the oil to be its up to you which way you
want to go some folks might think it a bit exssesive doing it this way but I prefer doing it this way (I do it every time I take a look)
at one of my kats exssesive maybe but at least I know my kats are in good condition for years to come
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Moon

Postby Moon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:
Why would you want to remove the wax?

More importantly IMO is - Why would anybody coat a valuable piece of history with a product that's not recommended to be used on it in the first place? :S
It's like varnishing over an expensive antique piece of wooden furniture but some people do it all the time apparently. :roll:
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Her mag uses it in the royal armoury, museums use it on all sorts of "valuable pieces of history", it should be more than suitable for some production katanas. ;)

Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:14 pm

I'm still gonna use the wax but if it messes up the look of the hamon I think I'd like it off the bamboo one now I have two maintenance kits and thus 2 bottles of oil, not fussed about the chen ones.

Well if he ever gets round to giving me the stuff, he keeps saying he will he uses it for electronics buys it in big bottles, I'll use it on the bamboo and see how it looks.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:55 pm

get it from amazon cheap £6.01 per litre
forum moderator

pjm

Postby pjm » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:09 am

Moon wrote:
It's like varnishing over an expensive antique piece of wooden furniture but some people do it all the time apparently. :roll:

yep they do, i bought a side table dating between 1840 and 1850 and it was caked in varnish and when i say caked i mean caked and very badly to the point ive had to use a sharp edged scraper very carefully to get it off as theres that much varnish on it i would be sanding it down for the next couple years, i know you can get varnish stripper but when theres veneer ya can run the risk of the veneer lifting up, next stop, petrol and match lolol
If i didn't have bad luck i would have no luck at all

Moon

Postby Moon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:49 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Her mag uses it in the royal armoury, museums use it on all sorts of "valuable pieces of history"

Except Nihonto. ;)

Geordie Ross wrote: it should be more than suitable for some production katanas. ;)

I don't give a flying duck what you use on your swords, knives or even your knobkerry, I've just said that collectors of Nihonto won't touch it with a 10 foot bo is all. :|
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:02 pm

I'm going to locate and buy the honjo masamune, polish it with brasso and a wire brush, sharpen it with the accusharp, the lace it with ren wax, remove it with solvents, and smear it in more ren wax just to spite you muahaha! :twisted:

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:I'm going to locate and buy the honjo masamune, polish it with brasso and a wire brush, sharpen it with the accusharp, the lace it with ren wax, remove it with solvents, and smear it in more ren wax just to spite you muahaha! :twisted:

twit :roll:
forum moderator

Moon

Postby Moon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:20 pm

the blade master wrote:
twit :roll:

I think you spelled that wrong Mick. :>

For anybody who's interested, this is a list of 'Important Missing Nihonto' but some of the pics have been lost, maybe they exist somewhere online but I haven't been able to find them yet...
http://www.sydneytokenkai.com/new-page-10.htm

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:21 pm

I think you spelled sadist wrong :twisted: :015

Return to “Customer Reviews”