samurai swords sharpness

the blade master

Re: samurai swords sharpness

Post by the blade master » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:58 pm

then you will find any sword in that section will suit your needs

catalzzy

Post by catalzzy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:05 am

thats great. i feel i would go for the monkey katana cos it looks intruging but i have heard from my friend that he looked at the edge line and it wasnt straight, it was curvy at the middle part where else the mune is straight from top view. :S

has anybody who own monkey katana including jamesb0551 that have the same situation as my friend's monkey katana?

thanks

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:32 pm

im not sure i understand your point catalzzy are you saying your friend has told you theres a bend in the blade either to the left or to the right
in the middle of the blade on the odd one might have a slight kink in the middle maybe one in every 5 to 6 hundred which is easily corrected
at home with some very simple wooden tools which you can make yourself i will say this in all the swords ive bought from buks and iv bought a few
for friends as well as myself that problem has never occured heres the tools needed

jamesb0551

Post by jamesb0551 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Glad you answered that blademaster I thought I was the only one that didn't know what he was on about lol. Unless your on about the hamon catalyzzy?

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:59 pm

hi james
i was wondering that too if he was on about the hamon as you know some hamons are straight
along the blade some are in the style of a wave and some have all manner of patterns on them
now each type has a different name but ive long since forgoten there names but it wont do any
harm to check out google for some answers or ask the question in a post here and see if a more learned
member such as moon can answer the question for you
mick

Loz
Blades UK

Post by Loz » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:29 pm

I suspect they are talking about the actual blade shape created during the rough shaping of the hammered billet, as they are indiviually made by hand they will all vary slightly, the more expensive the blade, the lower the degree of variation that will pass QC.

And as Blademaster has pointed out, it's not particularly difficult to bend or twist a blade during a bad cut, tamashigeri is a skill that must be learned, far too many people blame the blade when it is their delusions of sword indestructibility and/or lack of training that is the true culprit.

catalzzy

Post by catalzzy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:52 pm

This is the photos my friend sent me.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/71 ... 00050.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/86 ... 00051.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14 ... 00052.jpg/

You can see the bend starting in the middle part. i hope those pics are clear to see.

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:03 pm

ok catalzzy
in my honest opinion that looks to me as tho your friends ambitions are bigger than his capabilities
and he has hit his target at a very bad angle indeed but it can be straightened out using the tools in
my previous post im not saying it dont or cant happen but i find it hard to belive that was sent in that state
to him.
mick :D

catalzzy

Post by catalzzy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:45 pm

my friend told me that once he got the box, he opened it up due to his exictement then he unshealthed his sword. He walked to another room to hunt his sister for fun because he is not that stupid to cut his sister (literally showing her his new katana) and he accidentally hit the blade on the top door entrance because he was holding the blade upwards but it wasnt too hard and he felt vibration tingling down to the handle. After that he went to check his sword and it was like that the bendy thing on the middle part.

i am quite confused how that tool work like bend it on the back or the temper line? my friend is kinda worrid that it could make it worse cause its obvious it is his first time having a katana.

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:14 pm

see if this diagram is easier to to follow

the blade gose in the slots cutting edge down now as that sword bends to the left as you look at from above put it in the slots with the handle of the sword on the left
as your holding the handles bend them inwards to straighten out a left hand kink now to straighten out a right hand kink put the sword in the slots with the handle to the right
and the cutting edge down and squeeze the tool handles inward same tools can be used to get rid of any twist in the blade by twisting one handle upwards and the other downwards
depending on which way the blade is twisted

Moon

Post by Moon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:32 pm

That blade is definitely twisted, I've never read of a new one coming out from Hanwei like that and I'm assuming that catalzzy's "friend" didn't buy it from Blades-UK or he'd be posting about it himself...right? :S

jamesb0551

Post by jamesb0551 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Agreed had no issues with mine, or with any other buks item, you can buy safe in the knowledge everything is top qaulity from here. Just a Shane there's no cavalry sabres ;)

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:13 pm

you know moon its allways a friend it happens to aint it and yes hanwie got to good a name to let someting like that out and a pound to a pinch of s**t its not one of lozes thats for sure:D :D

and james who is shane?? :D :D

jamesb0551

Post by jamesb0551 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:18 pm

Lmao I'm on my iPhone blademaster it has a habit of changing words when you least expect it. Should have been shame

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:49 pm

i know james just a gentle razz :>