Cheness Oniyuri Ninja-to

Yelski Kun

Cheness Oniyuri Ninja-to

Post by Yelski Kun » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Hello everybody,
I don't suppose anyone out there owns a Cheness Cutlery Oniyuri ( :twisted: Demon Lilly) Ninja-to sword?
I've heard that it rivals the Hanwei practical Ninja-to range (including the Iga & Kouga editions!) in terms of balance and blade quality (hard to believe I know :| )
The general opinion seems to be the Hanwei blade is lighter and sharper but the Cheness Oniyuri is insanely durable with a longer tsuka offering a variety of grips - so I was wondering if anybody does have both swords and if they absolutely had to pick one... which would be the favourite and why?
Also I can't seem to find anybody in the UK who stocks the Cheness Oniyuri - is there a reason for this, has it already been discontinued?

ArnelMachida

Re: Cheness Oniyuri Ninja-to

Post by ArnelMachida » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:57 am

actually this is my first time to hear about that but it seems interesting.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A dropout will beat a genius through hard work.
ninja grappling hook
Last edited by ArnelMachida on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moon

Post by Moon » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:56 pm

The 'Cheness Oniyuri Ninja-to' is not really a 'ninja-to', it's a Ko-katana with a curved 24" blade made of spring steel and I suspect but can't be sure, that's the reason why they're not for sale in the UK. :S

Loz?

Loz
Blades UK

Post by Loz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:52 pm

Cheness don't have a UK distributor, without going into detail, that's the easy answer as to why they're not sold in the UK and I wouldn't try importing one unless you're using the registered martial artist defence.

Yelski Kun

Post by Yelski Kun » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Cheers for the info guys,
I've looked into it some more and the closest thing I could find available in the UK is the John Lee Togakure Ninja-to. Although this seems to be pretty much the same sword in appearence (both being based on Grand Master Masaaki Hatsume's original "authentic" Ninja sword - or so the legend goes!) I'm not entirely sure if the two versions are of the same quality -they're both made of 9260 spring steel and I do know that the John Lee brand is a big name in the sword business in China, it's just that I've not seen any of his swords reviewed anywhere and at a similar price to the Cheness I don't fancy taking the gamble! :S
I have read a few reviews of the Cheness version and all of them say it's great - but no I wont be attempting to import one anytime soon, not really worth the hassle (and extra costs) - Thanks