What is the best sharpening kit for swords?

The_Flaming_Sword

What is the best sharpening kit for swords?

Postby The_Flaming_Sword » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:00 pm

I was wondering, from experience what sharpening kits have you found to be the best for sharpening swords. I have the Lansky deluxe sharpening kit that is sold on Blades-UK but i was looking to see if there is an easier and better alternative. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Moon

Re: What is the best sharpening kit for swords?

Postby Moon » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:25 pm

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

The_Flaming_Sword

Postby The_Flaming_Sword » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Yeah that's the one i've got, with that one i'd have to do the sword in sections. I was wondering if there was a sharpening tool that i could use to sharpen the entire blade at once to give a better edge.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Well there is one, the lansky mini sharpener on blades-uk will sharpen a large blade, but make sure you don't use it with a hamon as it will mark it, another one is called the accusharp tool and knife sharpener, they're both around £10 and sharpen blades to a razor point
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:12 pm

How much do Accusharp pay you to advertise there sharpener Ross? :>

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:23 pm

yeh cmon just exactly are you being paid oh please realise its illigale to tout for other folkes here :> :> :>
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Moon

Postby Moon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:46 pm

The problem with both the Lansky and Accusharp is that they create a secondary bevel and a good sword used properly shouldn't need sharpening for a very long time.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:46 pm

Lmao!!! I get paid £200 every time I say accusharp! Haha nah I just think its a fantastic sharpener for the price, other V shape sharpeners don't give the same result in my opinion and not many sharpeners can razor edge your sword in 30 seconds ;)

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Moon wrote:The problem with both the Lansky and Accusharp is that they create a secondary bevel and a good sword used properly shouldn't need sharpening for a very long time.

Yea but look at the damage that could be done with a whetstone or the lansky delux, in a untrained hand the edge will be totally ruined....

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:29 pm

I agree that 'quick-fix' sharpeners are useful, but I prefer to use my double-sided silicon carbide oil stone & my diamond pen to sharpen my blades, I have a Gerber Saf-T sharpener which I have used a couple of times, it's very similar to the Lanskey mini & works the same, and it did put a sharp edge on the blades, but it was very rough, so I went back to using the stone & pen, & while I no doubt didn't get the angle perfect, the blades are now sharp & smooth, it is of course all about personal choice, different strokes and all that, M. :D

vjanda

Postby vjanda » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:16 pm

I use the edge pro apex 4 on my knives and machetes.
Anyone tried it on a katana?
I think it would do a nice job once the correct angle was determined..

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:37 pm

I've heard good things about the Apex, but correct me if I"m wrong, it's quite expensive?

vjanda

Postby vjanda » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:02 pm

Yes it's very overpriced as is the wicked edge.
Luckily the Chinese have made a clone that costs a fraction of the price and is 99% as good imo. The 4 stones you get are not as good as the original ones but they get the job done. They will last less. The beauty is that you can purchase the original edgepro stones and use them in the Chinese system as they're compatible. I made 2 additional leather strop pads for finishing off my knives. One uses metal polishing paste and the other chromium oxide. The end result is a razor sharp shaving edge. I used to use lansky and spyderco sharpeners but this system is far superior.

Return to “Blades UK Forum”